[Q] 4.4.2->4.4.4 VRZN Rooted

Search This thread

liveMike

Oct 5, 2013
This does work to upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 and there was no data/setting loss. I am running Verizon, developer phone, rooted, with xposed. Here are the directions I used:

1. disable Xposed - I just went to the app and uninstalled it
2. boot into bootloader/fastboot - connect your computer to the phone via USB. Then push the down volume and power at the same time. This will take you to the bootloader/fastboot
3. flash stock recovery (fastboot flash recovery yourfilename.img) - to do this (and to flash stock system) you need the motorola fastboot files and you will need to use the command prompt on the PC. for directions and download for the fastboot files check out this link - http://www.addictivetips.com/android/root-moto-x-install-cwm-recovery-complete-guide/ To actually download the stock recovery and stock system files you can download them here (look for 4.4.2 verizon - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0. I actually pasted the recovery.img/stock.img files into the windows fastboot folder and accessed CMD prompt from there to flash them. I flashed recovery then moved onto stock. I did not reboot until both were done.
4. flash stock system (fastboot flash system yourfilename.img)
5. reboot (stay in the CMD prompt and type - fastboot reboot)
6. update via OTA
7. reboot

You are now stock unrooted 4.4.4, so just re-apply root the same way you did the first time:

1. boot into bootloader/fastboot - you should be able to follow the directions from above to do this now
2. flash custom recovery - you should be able to follow the directions from above to do this now. Note that I tried CWM and it didnt work until I used TWRP. - download the latest version here and stick in the same fastboot folder you were using above - http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
3. boot to recovery - make sure you do this from the bootloader/fastboot screen. To do it, press down until you get to recovery then up to actually select it. I kept pressing power to select which doesnt actually select it.
4. flash SuperSU - this should be on your phone from the first time you rooted. If doing a new root you will need to get it first.
5. reboot
6. re-enable Xposed - i just reinstalled it and all of my settings were back
7. reboot
- BAM you are done!

Last edited:

dhoppy

Jun 20, 2006
has anyone tried this to upgrade to 4.4.4? (unlocked BL, rooted 4.4.2 on Verizon)

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
has anyone tried this to upgrade to 4.4.4? (unlocked BL, rooted 4.4.2 on Verizon)

Multiple reports all over the forum say YES. (must flash stock recovery back, FIRST -- OR just use the FXZ and don't worry about having to flash stock recovery...)

Also, to the OP: questions belong in Q&A, not General. See the 2nd Sticky post at the top of the General forum....please post in the correct forums in the future...

Last edited:
Reactions: Topsnake

Teksu

Jun 9, 2010
I have a vzw DE

I took the 4.4.4 FXZ file from the other thread and just flashed it, no prep, didn't disable xposed.I was flashing in fastboot, not recovery, so its not checking for intact files. Then had to twrp/root and re-enable xposed.

But if you want to take the OTA then your procedure would be good.

D

Darth

I'm curious to see if this works the same for unlocked non developer edition Moto X's on VZW too
There is no difference whatsoever between an unlocked dev edition and any other unlocked X. The ONLY difference is the dev edition keeps its warranty when you unlock. ;)

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Whats the best twrp for root on 4.4.4

How about the latest version from the official source? Here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost

It will root for you. Just flash w/fastboot, then "fastboot reboot-bootloader", then VOL DOWN to RECOVERY, and VOL UP to select it. When you go to exit, it will offer to install SuperSU Installer. Once booted, launch SuperSU Installer, and select Play Store method.

liveMike

Oct 5, 2013
I can confirm that this works. I did it. I did not lose any data. It took about 20 minutes total. I already had everything installed otherwise you are looking at about 45 minutes.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
The only reason to flash stock system.img before taking an OTA is if you made so many changes to system files you can't remember them to undo them. i.e. you modified your system so much that flashing system.img is the fastest way back to stock so it passes the validation checks of the OTA.

I thought there is an Xposed disabler (in the xposed thread) that you can run rather than uninstalling?

That being said.. this information has been the same for EVERY OTA Update. You have to flash stock recovery for the OTA to install, and your system can't be modified too much or it will fail the validation checks built into the OTA.zip. (i.e. there is a manifest file that checks for specific files and their check sums before it will flash the ota).

IF you are close enough to stock (like I am... stock, unlocked, rooted, with adfree, wifi tether for root, greenify, Quick boot, and a few other apps that require root), you can just flash stock recovery and take the OTA.

IF you are close enough to stock... you can also use the following... WITHOUT a PC... i.e. you haven't modified system too much, etc.
  1. Place stock recovery.img, the latest TWRP img, the latest SuperSU.zip and the OTA.zip on your phone's DOWNLOAD folder.
  2. Install Rashr.
  3. Use Rashr to to flash stock recovery (select other from storage, and select your stock recovery). When it completes, pick the option to reboot to stock recovery.
  4. From stock recovery, install the update zip and reboot the phone.
  5. After the update install process is complete, use Rashr to flash TWRP (again, other from storage and pick your TWRP). When prompted, reboot into recovery (so twrp sticks). When in TWRP, select reboot to system.

If you lost root, reboot into TWRP recovery and install SuperSU.zip

liveMike

Oct 5, 2013
The only reason to flash stock system.img before taking an OTA is if you made so many changes to system files you can't remember them to undo them. i.e. you modified your system so much that flashing system.img is the fastest way back to stock so it passes the validation checks of the OTA.

I thought there is an Xposed disabler (in the xposed thread) that you can run rather than uninstalling?

That being said.. this information has been the same for EVERY OTA Update. You have to flash stock recovery for the OTA to install, and your system can't be modified too much or it will fail the validation checks built into the OTA.zip. (i.e. there is a manifest file that checks for specific files and their check sums before it will flash the ota).

IF you are close enough to stock (like I am... stock, unlocked, rooted, with adfree, wifi tether for root, greenify, Quick boot, and a few other apps that require root), you can just flash stock recovery and take the OTA.

IF you are close enough to stock... you can also use the following... WITHOUT a PC... i.e. you haven't modified system too much, etc.
  1. Place stock recovery.img, the latest TWRP img, the latest SuperSU.zip and the OTA.zip on your phone's DOWNLOAD folder.
  2. Install Rashr.
  3. Use Rashr to to flash stock recovery (select other from storage, and select your stock recovery). When it completes, pick the option to reboot to stock recovery.
  5. After the update install process is complete, use Rashr to flash TWRP (again, other from storage and pick your TWRP). When prompted, reboot into recovery (so twrp sticks). When in TWRP, select reboot to system.

Thanks for the tip. I believe I did it the way I mentioned because last time gravity box didnt have a wifi tether available so I had to modify the system files. this time I didnt touch them.

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Flashing system.img is imo the smartest move to ensure the OTA takes. It's worth it as it only takes a minute and you don't have to even think about what you changed. Plus, it doesn't delete your data.

You are in there flashing stock recovery anyway, might as well.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Flashing system.img is imo the smartest move to ensure the OTA takes. It's worth it as it only takes a minute and you don't have to even think about what you changed. Plus, it doesn't delete your data.

+1 :good:

zoid_99

Aug 1, 2008
Huntsville, AL

I'm getting an error while attempting to flash the system.img. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like "data exceeds download buffer". I flashed the recovery.img without issue. I tried to take the OTA and it gets halfway through and craps out with the red exclamation triangle... Any ideas?

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
I'm getting an error while attempting to flash the system.img. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like "data exceeds download buffer". I flashed the recovery.img without issue. I tried to take the OTA and it gets halfway through and craps out with the red exclamation triangle... Any ideas?

Are you using mfastboot to flash system.img? You can't use regular fastboot. Just search for mfastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This does work to upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 and there was no data/setting loss. I am running Verizon, developer phone, rooted, with xposed. Here are the directions I used:

1. disable Xposed - I just went to the app and uninstalled it
    2. boot into bootloader/fastboot - connect your computer to the phone via USB. Then push the down volume and power at the same time. This will take you to the bootloader/fastboot
    3. flash stock recovery (fastboot flash recovery yourfilename.img) - to do this (and to flash stock system) you need the motorola fastboot files and you will need to use the command prompt on the PC. for directions and download for the fastboot files check out this link - http://www.addictivetips.com/android/root-moto-x-install-cwm-recovery-complete-guide/ To actually download the stock recovery and stock system files you can download them here (look for 4.4.2 verizon - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0. I actually pasted the recovery.img/stock.img files into the windows fastboot folder and accessed CMD prompt from there to flash them. I flashed recovery then moved onto stock. I did not reboot until both were done.
    4. flash stock system (fastboot flash system yourfilename.img)
    5. reboot (stay in the CMD prompt and type - fastboot reboot)
    6. update via OTA
    7. reboot

You are now stock unrooted 4.4.4, so just re-apply root the same way you did the first time:

1. boot into bootloader/fastboot - you should be able to follow the directions from above to do this now
    2. flash custom recovery - you should be able to follow the directions from above to do this now. Note that I tried CWM and it didnt work until I used TWRP. - download the latest version here and stick in the same fastboot folder you were using above - http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
    3. boot to recovery - make sure you do this from the bootloader/fastboot screen. To do it, press down until you get to recovery then up to actually select it. I kept pressing power to select which doesnt actually select it.
    4. flash SuperSU - this should be on your phone from the first time you rooted. If doing a new root you will need to get it first.
    5. reboot
    6. re-enable Xposed - i just reinstalled it and all of my settings were back
    7. reboot
    - BAM you are done!

2. Install Rashr.

I'm curious to see if this works the same for unlocked non developer edition Moto X's on VZW too

Multiple reports all over the forum say YES. (must flash stock recovery back, FIRST -- OR just use the FXZ and don't worry about having to flash stock recovery...)

Also, to the OP: questions belong in Q&A, not General. See the 2nd Sticky post at the top of the General forum....please post in the correct forums in the future...