One Handed Operation not in settings? How 2 move input keyboards to 1 side of screen?

Search This thread

tt c6

Nov 21, 2009
#1. I have installed SwiftKey to resize the QWERTY keyboard, and to also move the keyboard closer to the thumb side of my screen while using with one hand.

#2. I purchased Swipe Dialer PRO to move the Phone Dialer closer to the thumb side of my screen while using with one hand.

However, If anyone can still recommend one app that does both, or an app that is better than SwiftKey and/or Swipe Dialer PRO, I would appreciate the help.
Thank you in advance.

So, the Note 2 and Note 3 (and supposedly the S5) have the option in the settings for "one Handed Operation" that moves the input devices (QWERTY keyboard and Numeric Dialer) to far edge of the phone (Left for Left Handers or Right for Right Handers).
It's supposed to make using the phone with one hand easier, especially for people like me that are coming from smaller phones.

How do I enable this setting in the S3?
If it's not possible, can you recommend an app to install or what do I have to do to make this happen?

I'm really surprised that this wasn't an option when the phone launched.
I'm also really surprised that when the phone is turned sideways, the keyboard blocks the view of almost the entire screen.
Samsung should just superimpose the keyboard over whatever is on the screen and make the keyboard "trasnparent" so you can still see what is "behind" the keyboard.

Thank you for viewing my thread.
Any help will be most appreciated.

Just for reference, I DID do a search and the below is the "chat" I had with Samsung before posting this thread.

Verlin: Yes, that is correct. There is no option for one handed operation on the Galaxy S\34.
Me: what about a way of downloading the setting or an application? Samsung should make this setting available on the S3if it's available for the Note 2
Verlin: Lets hope in future updates.

Verlin: There is one hand operating on the Galaxy S5.
Verlin: From the main Settings screen, tap Controls > One-handed operation.
Verlin: Tap the OFF / ON icon next to One-handed operation to the right to turn it on.
Verlin: Complete the set up process by grabbing the device in one hand and then in a single motion, swipe your thumb from the edge of the screen towards the middle and then back.

Me: Can can you verify. Sprint employees could not do so at the store.
Verlin: From home, tap Apps > Settings.
Verlin: Tap Sound and display > One-handed operation.

Last edited:

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I love SwiftKey, no better keyboard in my opinion. I doubt if there'll be one app to replace both. One's a keyboard and the other's a dialer, normally two very separate and different things. Sorry bud. I use Rocket Dialer but I don't know if it has that option. I'd Google (not search in Play Store) for right handed dialer, or left handed if it suits you, to see what alternatives there are.

Recovery FLASHABLE version now posted near the bottom of the first post of the 3Minit Battery Mod for Conquest-Singularity and both Stock ND8 and NDC with 1000+ animated battery icons..

[BATTERY] Plasma Battery! ??? & wickeddecimalbarwide_colors

Charging still shot
senygy6y.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Conquest: Singularity v7.0, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.