[Q] WIndows 8.1 MTP won't stabalize

Search This thread

prissysox

Dec 5, 2010
Louisville, Ky
I have AT&T M8. Windows 8.1. When I connect phone with USB cable the MTP won't establish a secure connection so that phone shows attached to computer and I can explore files. The MTP files show as installed. I have HTC sync manager insatlled. But Media device (MTP) connected flashes non stop and computer keeps asking what to do with phone when connected. File explorer shows phone connected and then gone again in a couple of seconds.
Help please!

Grut

Oct 28, 2011
Shenandoah, PA
I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE on 8.1. Can someone please help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! I'm stock rooted, no mods. Usb debug enabled, no lock screen and sync manager uninstalled. Can't get firewater soff thru adb because of this issue....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

prissysox

Dec 5, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Turned out I was using a cheap USB cable. Are you using a good quality cable that can handle data as well as power?

Reactions: Grut

chrispyutec

Apr 6, 2011
Tyler, Texas
I'm using the supplied cable that came with my ATT M8.

Try a different port. Yes it sounds silly, but I have had this same issue on 3 different types of phones. I would always forget about having this problem and I kept saying what the heck is wrong here until I realized it. I always end up putting it in the wrong port so I ended up labeling the correct port on the PC.

Reactions: Grut

Grut

Oct 28, 2011
Shenandoah, PA
Thanks for the advice! I have 3 ports on my laptop, I've tried all 3 of them with no luck. I'm trying to s-off using firewater thru adb, after I run the first command "adb reboot" , my phone reboots. I get 3/4 of the way thru the commands for s-off and my computer asks me a bunch of questions about my m8 and then I get disconnected from adb, (no device)? I'm running Windows 8.1, stock root, no mods, screen lock off, usb debug on, fast boot off, sync manager uninstalled from my computer. I'm out of ideas to try. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.....

tommy_riley

Apr 24, 2009
Tacoma, WA
OnePlus 10 Pro
Thanks for the advice! I have 3 ports on my laptop, I've tried all 3 of them with no luck. I'm trying to s-off using firewater thru adb, after I run the first command "adb reboot" , my phone reboots. I get 3/4 of the way thru the commands for s-off and my computer asks me a bunch of questions about my m8 and then I get disconnected from adb, (no device)? I'm running Windows 8.1, stock root, no mods, screen lock off, usb debug on, fast boot off, sync manager uninstalled from my computer. I'm out of ideas to try. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.....

If your laptop only has USB3.0 ports, then you'll need to replace the built in Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers with the Intel USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller drivers. This will give you proper ADB support when your phone reboots into fastboot mode. Also make sure you have proper HTC drivers installed as well (HTC Sync manager drivers should do the job, but if not, the HTC driver links can be found on this site).

Known issue with Windows 8/8.1 USB 3.0 and adb.

Sorry I don't have direct URL's at the moment, but I'm in the middle of a workshift. If you can't find what I'm talking about I'll post more info tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts