[MOD][5.0.2/4.4.x] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G (2012)

Search This thread

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
I put that on my Nexus 7 G3 2012 and all was fine but one problem. Default SMS app remain only hangouts without posibility to switch to other app. Menu in Wifi and networks is changed but remain thee only one option... hangouts.What was wrong? Thanks!

You need an additional SMS app to change the default. Once you have installed one, it will show in that menu.

Just a note, the usual behaviour of Google Voice on a non-phone tablet is to offer the possibility of callback to one of your phones when you press the call button. On 4.3 with the tether mod this was always the case and SMS still worked.

However it would appear that the SMS mod has introduced a small complication. Google Voice now thinks my device has phone capabilities. So if I press the call button, instead of a callback it offers to call using "Mobile Data" or Skype. If I tap Mobile Data the screen flashes for a moment, I hear the "BOOP" end of call tone, and then it goes back to GV.

This is a byproduct of enabling voice which triggers the system into allowing sms, I'm not sure how we would get round it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

umarali

May 18, 2009
Lafayette
Does anyone know if this works with tmobile sim too? i have tmobile free data for life 200 mb plan and when i apply this after that whenever i try to send sms i get message from tmobile that mms blocking is active and messaging blocking is active. do i need to make any changed in apn or something?

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Seems that flashing the revert zip isn't going to make the 4.4.2 OTA get going....had to reflash system.img before the OTA would run.

So I guess a version of this for KOT49H will be making the requests here soon.... :D

Last edited:

ScanaX

Nov 6, 2010
Palermo
With sms and teethering enabled getting ota update n7 is in bootloop... Restoring to full stock waiting for updates...

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Yeah I'm gonna wait for the mod to be ready before upgrading.

In the meantime, if you're getting nagged for updates, you can disable notifications for Google Play Services. You won't miss much and it can easily be re-enabled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

J-Xiang

Dec 10, 2013
Need help! My Nexus 7 has the SMS and WiFi tethering mod from GuyAdams installed. Today, I tried to sideload my nexus 7 3G (2012) from KitKat 4.4 (KRT16S) to 4.4.2 (KOT49H), but then I receive this error message
"/system/app/BasicSmsReceiver.apk" has unexpected contents.
E:Error flashing zip '/sdcard/Download/KOT49H.zip'
Failed.

I tried to fix the error using the revert to stock mod in hope that it would enable me to install 4.4.2 system, but it didn't seem to solve the error. Please help me!

Last edited:

vorcers

May 21, 2012
Is it possible that only sending sms is really working? Because I don't get an sms I send to the device.

Edit: Sorry, forget my post ; Receiving is working. I just doesn't get my sms I send prior.... (I had no connection to the network ; these sms send from another device I never recieved - but sms which has been send if the device has connection, there I get.)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2010
Need help! My Nexus 7 has the SMS and WiFi tethering mod from GuyAdams installed. Today, I tried to sideload my nexus 7 3G (2012) from KitKat 4.4 (KRT16S) to 4.4.2 (KOT49H), but then I receive this error message
Failed.

I tried to fix the error using the revert to stock mod in hope that it would enable me to install 4.4.2 system, but it didn't seem to solve the error. Please help me!

download the factory image
developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

from google and then use fastboot:
fastboot update image-nakasig-krt16s.zip

this reverts to stock without a wipe. then try the update again

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

btw, this mod does NOT (yet) work on KOT49H. (4.4.2)

Last edited:

piensa

Mar 10, 2011
Mexico City
www.piensa.com
Failed.

I experienced the same "problem".... actually I received the OTA notification from Google, to upgrade to KOT49H. When I tapped on the proceed to install the upgrade button, after a while, I got the same error you describe above.

What I did is backup the already downloaded OTA file (which was on /cache), I copied it to /sdcard/Downloads

Then I used the stock factory images from Google, and flashed the image of KRT16S , again as described a few posts above. That updating of the image did not destroy my data or apps.

Then, I flashed clockworkmod recovery, using fastboot, in order to be able to boot in recovery mode ...I flashed the downloaded OTA file which I moved to the /sdcard/Downloads directory. This time it flashed correctly, as it passed all verifications.

Then I reflashed clockworkmod recovery, yes, again, as it was lost with the upgrade I just flashed and also flashed Super-SU, latest version.

Now, the only question remaining to me is: Does Guy Adams' SMS and WiFi Hotspost zip file does work with KitKat 4,4,2 KOT49H ?

I am thinking in downloading the zip again and flashing it up... I just wonder if any of you already did so on 4.2.2 ? did it work fine ? (ie, you got the Hotspot thethering menu and are able to send and receive text messages -SMS- ?

Thanks in advance for your time, comments and interest. And thanks Guy Adams for your great work with SMS+Hotspot for the 3G N7 !

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I still think it would be most ideal if this mod could be designed as an Xposed module. That would make it easier to enable, disable and carry forward to further OS revisions. Does anyone have the know-how?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kuromao9

Apr 17, 2011
Hi guys.

First timer here but I really want to restore the SMS function of my nexus 7. I see you guys have found a way to restore it, however upon reading your posts I basically have no idea where to start, in other words I am a total noob. Some questions I have:

1. Does this require me to root my tablet? I have the stock OS that I upgraded to kitkat.
2. When you guys say flash do I need to wipe my tablet and install a custom rom for this to work or will this work like a patch?

Really sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask. If it is, can you at least direct me to some threads where I can get an idea of what to do.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts