Tab S 8.4 vs. Xperia tablet z

Search This thread

AllanJacques

Nov 27, 2007
Vancouver
I currently have a tablet z and I am wondering how does this compares to Tab S 8.4.
I am thinking about buying this one on account of the superb screen but seems that there are a great deal of lag happening, is it so?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

eousphoros

Feb 8, 2010
San Francisco
I currently have a tablet z and I am wondering how does this compares to Tab S 8.4.
I am thinking about buying this one on account of the superb screen but seems that there are a great deal of lag happening, is it so?

Thanks in advance!

This is by no means the fastest tablet out there. Though I love the screen and my aosp ROM is working better everyday and has eliminated any lag issues I had.

ukael

Jul 24, 2014

Thanks in advance!

I can't compare with the tablet Z, but I own a Tab S 8.4, a Nexus 7 2013 and a Note 8.0. I will try to answer your questions based on my experience:

The tab S 8.4's screen is a huge disappointment to me. It looks awesome in bright environments, the high pitch and vivid colors are pleasant to my eyes. However, for someone with high expectations as I did, it suffers from several issues that used affect previous AMOLED generations and totally ruin my experience:

- Smearing on black backgrounds. An issue that was already reported on Galaxy S4, and that seem to affect Tab S 8.4 as well: A dark red smear is visible when watching movies on black backgrounds. It looks like black pixels are slower at displaying a color than already lit pixels. The result is not obvious on first watch, but once noticed becomes a nightmare in dark movies.
Here is a fix for this issue: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2259775
While this seem to be pretty efficient fixing the smearing issue, the result is not perfect, it is rather annoying to use AND we lose the benefits of perfect blacks in the darkness. And it impacts battrery life, as a dark grey pixel is powered, while a black one is not.

- Mura effect. Basically, dark (but not black) colors are not homogenous on the screen. It is only really noticeable in the darkness, wich is my main usage for the tablet. Rather annoying, especially since the fix for the smearing issues induces replacing all "black" by "extremely dark grey", which reveal this issue.
More information on mura effect: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2108073

- Yellow/greyish tint. This one is'nt the worst, but can be felt on white backgrounds. This one becomes obvious when compared directly to a more natural white screen: the middle of the screen seems more yellowish and darker than the borders. It seems like the glass could be dirty, or tinted by years of heavy usage, which it is not.

None of these issues are obvious to someone who doesn't set his standards very high. They are for me though, and will probably be noticed by people willing to use the tablet in the darkness.
As a bottomline, I actually prefer the display offered by my Nexus 7 or iPad mini retina rather than the Tab S 8.4's. They lack the "wow" effect of vivid colors and the perfect blacks, but provide a more homogenous experience, especially in the darkness.

Now for the performances, I don't know what's wrong with this tab. I was thinking about putting the blame on TouchWiz, but alternative launchers don't help. Rooting and turning off as many services as possible didn't either. Here is what I noticed:

- System zoom effects are subjects to stuttering (opening new app/window, for example). None of my other android device suffers from similar issues, and zooming in other apps such as web browser works flawlessly. The issue is not reliable, and seems to reduce when the same window is opened and closed several times in a row. Memory access issue causing stuttering ?

- Overall system doesn't feel as smooth as it should. Even my elder Note 8.0 feels butter smooth compared to the Tab S 8.4, which I can hardly explain. It is fast enough, but the FPS seems to be lower.

- Two of my favourite apps suffer from low FPS when scrolling: Perfect Viewer and Moon+ Reader. The poor performances make the experience with these apps less enjoyable than on N7 or Note 8, which his hard to explain considering how much more powerful the Tab S 8.4 should be.

- 3D gaming is not at its best either. Performances are clearly below N7, and maybe even lower than on Note 8. There, I guess this is the cost for the extreme pixel density of the display panel.

If you are satisfied with the services offered by your Sony tablet, I'd suggest to stick with it. The Tab S 8.4 is a very decent tablet but not perfect, and its major strenghts are also its main weaknesses.

Zamboney

Feb 20, 2012
My 10.5 tablet doubtlessly has the best screen I've ever seen on any device. Sure, a k1 is faster CPU and GPU wise, but for my mainly media consumption and Web browsing it's amazing. Haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned above so I guess pentile does detract a bit.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 5 alpha

AllanJacques

Nov 27, 2007
Vancouver
I can't compare with the tablet Z, but I own a Tab S 8.4, a Nexus 7 2013 and a Note 8.0. I will try to answer your questions based on my experience:

The tab S 8.4's screen is a huge disappointment to me. It looks awesome in bright environments, the high pitch and vivid colors are pleasant to my eyes. However, for someone with high expectations as I did, it suffers from several issues that used affect previous AMOLED generations and totally ruin my experience:

- Smearing on black backgrounds. An issue that was already reported on Galaxy S4, and that seem to affect Tab S 8.4 as well: A dark red smear is visible when watching movies on black backgrounds. It looks like black pixels are slower at displaying a color than already lit pixels. The result is not obvious on first watch, but once noticed becomes a nightmare in dark movies.
Here is a fix for this issue: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2259775
While this seem to be pretty efficient fixing the smearing issue, the result is not perfect, it is rather annoying to use AND we lose the benefits of perfect blacks in the darkness. And it impacts battrery life, as a dark grey pixel is powered, while a black one is not.

- Mura effect. Basically, dark (but not black) colors are not homogenous on the screen. It is only really noticeable in the darkness, wich is my main usage for the tablet. Rather annoying, especially since the fix for the smearing issues induces replacing all "black" by "extremely dark grey", which reveal this issue.
More information on mura effect: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2108073

- Yellow/greyish tint. This one is'nt the worst, but can be felt on white backgrounds. This one becomes obvious when compared directly to a more natural white screen: the middle of the screen seems more yellowish and darker than the borders. It seems like the glass could be dirty, or tinted by years of heavy usage, which it is not.

None of these issues are obvious to someone who doesn't set his standards very high. They are for me though, and will probably be noticed by people willing to use the tablet in the darkness.
As a bottomline, I actually prefer the display offered by my Nexus 7 or iPad mini retina rather than the Tab S 8.4's. They lack the "wow" effect of vivid colors and the perfect blacks, but provide a more homogenous experience, especially in the darkness.

Now for the performances, I don't know what's wrong with this tab. I was thinking about putting the blame on TouchWiz, but alternative launchers don't help. Rooting and turning off as many services as possible didn't either. Here is what I noticed:

- System zoom effects are subjects to stuttering (opening new app/window, for example). None of my other android device suffers from similar issues, and zooming in other apps such as web browser works flawlessly. The issue is not reliable, and seems to reduce when the same window is opened and closed several times in a row. Memory access issue causing stuttering ?

- Overall system doesn't feel as smooth as it should. Even my elder Note 8.0 feels butter smooth compared to the Tab S 8.4, which I can hardly explain. It is fast enough, but the FPS seems to be lower.

- Two of my favourite apps suffer from low FPS when scrolling: Perfect Viewer and Moon+ Reader. The poor performances make the experience with these apps less enjoyable than on N7 or Note 8, which his hard to explain considering how much more powerful the Tab S 8.4 should be.

- 3D gaming is not at its best either. Performances are clearly below N7, and maybe even lower than on Note 8. There, I guess this is the cost for the extreme pixel density of the display panel.

If you are satisfied with the services offered by your Sony tablet, I'd suggest to stick with it. The Tab S 8.4 is a very decent tablet but not perfect, and its major strenghts are also its main weaknesses.

Your answer was perfect for my needs as my main utility for Tab S would be perfect viewer and moon reader as well.
Reading all sorts of experiences I'm beginning to wonder if I should buy a new tablet or not and it seems that I will rain check this purchase for now...

since in some country you can like send it back if you not satisfy kind of sale.. and if it apply to you why dont you test it. i dont have any problem like being mentioned above. and in this short period... i think the QC of the device are kind of loopy... some got great functionality without any problem and sadly some does.

ukael

Jul 24, 2014
My 10.5 tablet doubtlessly has the best screen I've ever seen on any device. Sure, a k1 is faster CPU and GPU wise, but for my mainly media consumption and Web browsing it's amazing. Haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned above so I guess pentile does detract a bit.

Regarding the screen, I couldn't find reports about the issues I mentioned above for the Tab S 10.5. It looks like the screen on the 10.5 is using a newer technology that would fixe these issues. I so wish it would be the same for 8.4 !

Not everybody is noticing these issues on 8.4, but then I believe it to be related to lower sensitivity to the issues. They are not obvious at all, and basically impossible to notice in lightened environments and/or watching colored images.

Reactions: xRevilatioNx

eousphoros

Feb 8, 2010
San Francisco
Regarding the screen, I couldn't find reports about the issues I mentioned above for the Tab S 10.5. It looks like the screen on the 10.5 is using a newer technology that would fixe these issues. I so wish it would be the same for 8.4 !

Not everybody is noticing these issues on 8.4, but then I believe it to be related to lower sensitivity to the issues. They are not obvious at all, and basically impossible to notice in lightened environments and/or watching colored images.

I'm not having any of the issues you highlighted with the screen. If you have already voided your warranty it would be interesting to see if you have the same issue with my asop build.

zelduy

Nov 26, 2008
Not having any issue with my tab s 8.4 here... love this tablet.. i was a user of nexus 7 2nd gen..

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

ukael

Jul 24, 2014
I'm not having any of the issues you highlighted with the screen. If you have already voided your warranty it would be interesting to see if you have the same issue with my asop build.

As a newb at flashing roms, I didn't go further than rooting at the moment.

Regarding the screen, while I am surprised that people report not noticing the issues at all, I am convinced many just don't notice them.
The smearing is actually more felt, guessed than seen. But once noticed, it becomes an annoyance.
The green/yellow tint is only visible on white backgrounds and when comparing to other screens or looking at it for a duration (reading e-books or internet webpages). It's far from being obvious on first sight.

The Mura effect however should become obvious to anyone looking for it. You can try with the follwing steps:
- Download and install screen adjuster.
- Get in the complete darkness
- Launch Screen adjuster, and set Red, Green and Blue to +5. Make sure it's switched on
- Look at a completely black background
=> The black background won't be black anymore but very dark grey. This is what Screen adjuster did by adding +5 in each color. If the screen is affected by mura effect, some areas will be lighter grey and others darker.

This is an issue that affects the 3 tab S 8.4 I tried (I exchanged it twice), as well as my Galaxy SII and my PS Vita. I just wish it wouldn't be the case, but I have yet to see an amoled display that isn't affected, and can hardly beleive I would be cursed badly enough to always get faulty units.

Zamboney

Feb 20, 2012
As a newb at flashing roms, I didn't go further than rooting at the moment.

Regarding the screen, while I am surprised that people report not noticing the issues at all, I am convinced many just don't notice them.
The smearing is actually more felt, guessed than seen. But once noticed, it becomes an annoyance.
The green/yellow tint is only visible on white backgrounds and when comparing to other screens or looking at it for a duration (reading e-books or internet webpages). It's far from being obvious on first sight.

The Mura effect however should become obvious to anyone looking for it. You can try with the follwing steps:
- Download and install screen adjuster.
- Get in the complete darkness
- Launch Screen adjuster, and set Red, Green and Blue to +5. Make sure it's switched on
- Look at a completely black background
=> The black background won't be black anymore but very dark grey. This is what Screen adjuster did by adding +5 in each color. If the screen is affected by mura effect, some areas will be lighter grey and others darker.

This is an issue that affects the 3 tab S 8.4 I tried (I exchanged it twice), as well as my Galaxy SII and my PS Vita. I just wish it wouldn't be the case, but I have yet to see an amoled display that isn't affected, and can hardly beleive I would be cursed badly enough to always get faulty units.

I've already tested mine T800 for mura with many shades of grey and no issues found.

prssdghrzmhmd

Nov 28, 2015
yes. me too.
"ukael" is right.
I had this problem on my both two Samsung Tab S 8.4 LTE T705.
on first I thought it is related to that one, but after purchased 2nd Tab S 8.4 T705, I noticed screen going yellowish.
specially in middle screen while in horizontal rotate specially reading something that has white background.

yes. me too.
"ukael" is right.
I had this problem on my both two Samsung Tab S 8.4 LTE T705.
on first I thought it is related to that one, but after purchased 2nd Tab S 8.4 T705, I noticed screen going yellowish.
specially in middle screen while in horizontal rotate specially reading something that has white background.
Do you realize you replied to a thread from August 2014? LOL.

Sent from my SM-T800 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I've already tested mine T800 for mura with many shades of grey and no issues found.

Yes, from my readings here and there, T800 screens whouldn't suffer from the same issues. They use a different technology though, I wish T700 would be using the same.