Broke my Tytn II mini-usb slot

Search This thread

markata

May 16, 2008
Varna
Hello, today I found that my mini-usb slot is broken. What i mean is that the pins are mixed/ probably cause i have not seen the problem for some time/ and the plastic thing between the pins is missing, so may be new slot has to be put. Any idea where I can find mini-usb slot and what is it called ? Is it easy to replace it myself ?

djbmw

Nov 16, 2006
Replacing EMU mini usb connection

If you're good at micro-soldering then you can replace the EMU (mini usb port) for the TYTN, Tilt, 8525, etc. You can purchase the connector (11 pin) from eBay for $3 plus $5 shipping from Hong Kong. You'll need to remove any memory cards, SIM cards, stylus etc from your phone and remove the 4 screws on the back. To remove you'll need an A5 (i think i used an A5) screwdriver (mini star screwdriver). Once removed, pop out the battery cover release tab and GENTLY lift the circuit board up (you'll need to gently pry the plastic retaining tabs that hold the board in). You only need to lift it up an inch or so - enough to get your soldering iron in.

Once the board it up, there are two 'feet' on the EMU that have been soldered to the board on the top and two more feet that are inserted into the board that were also soldered in. If you have the new EMU in front of you, you'll see the feet that im talking about. Place your iron tip on these joints and get them to free up. Next, place your tip lengthwise on the 11 pins at the rear of the connector as they are soldered on. Once free, you're able to remove the old EMU.

Place the new EMU in place and solder the 4 feet in 1st, making sure that the 11 pins are aligned as best as possible. Once the feet are soldered in, use a magnifying glass to ensure that all 11 pins are EXACTLY aligned. Touching your soldering gun tip to each of these pins will re-heat the old solder that's still on the board and secure the new pins so there is no need for new solder on here.

Put the phone back together and power up - all should be good!
I've included some pics below

miniusb2.jpg

miniusb3.jpg

miniusb4.jpg

miniusb5.jpg

miniusb8.jpg

miniusb9.jpg

miniusb10.jpg

miniusb11.jpg

miniusb12.jpg

Good Luck!

goldenu

Dec 23, 2008
Troll under bridge
Wow, that be some serious soldering. Personally, I'd just pick up another Kaiser on ebay for about $165 and be happy...you can even sell yours for parts if you wish.

j101399j

Aug 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
WOW :eek: djbmw:

Man that is crazy, My USB is bent and I was toying with doing it myself, you helped me from doing a big mistake. I can't solder that small. I AM SO VERY THANKFUL. Anyways, my fix was to get a 3 in 1 adapter that fits the weird size of the USB for top and bottom connections (I think the bottom of the center piece is audio). Since the adapter has top and bottom connections around the USB, it holds the center piece in place and makes the connections needed. I just have to carry the adapter everywhere.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Hello, today I found that my mini-usb slot is broken. What i mean is that the pins are mixed/ probably cause i have not seen the problem for some time/ and the plastic thing between the pins is missing, so may be new slot has to be put. Any idea where I can find mini-usb slot and what is it called ? Is it easy to replace it myself ?

i had a similiar issue, broke extUSB port, i just took my tilt into an At&t device support center and they changed the device on the spot.

-haze-

Dec 26, 2007
Nu JeRzY, USA
Nice to know, I was thinking about attempting this but luckilly, my device was still under warranty. I just brought home my new Tilt today. This is my 3rd Tilt, if it happens again, ATT will upgrade me to a Fuze for free. Honestly, I like the Tilt better, but I might give the Fuze a try for a little while until the Fuze 2 (Touch Pro 2) comes out.

djbmw

Nov 16, 2006
WOW :eek: djbmw:

Man that is crazy, My USB is bent and I was toying with doing it myself, you helped me from doing a big mistake. I can't solder that small. I AM SO VERY THANKFUL...

It looks intimidating, I know,.. but it wasnt that bad if you have the basic tools that I listed above (appropriate screw driver to remove the bolts, soldering iron with fine tip, thin silver solder wire, flux, magnifying glass, needle (to move the 11 prongs into place)) - all of which will cost you like $20-$25 to purchase brand new if you dont already have them.

For me, i couldnt be without my phone for a few days to send it off and get repaired,.. plus I find the $80+ repair bill ludacris when the part is $5 and it takes less then 30 min to complete so I decided to tackle the challenge.

If your 11 pin EMU is currently bent you'll probably have to replace it sooner then later. If I were you, i'd order in the part from eBay as it'll take 2 or 3 weeks to arrive anyway. Even if you do end up bringing it into someone - if you have the part already then you can negotiate how much they'll charge you (since then its only 20-30 min of work).

- Braydon

windtrader

Mar 23, 2009
I have searched high and low and just cannot find the 11 pin HTC ExtUSB port connector on the Internet or eBay. I have a HTC 6800 Mogul and the pins inside the port are badly bent and two are broken off.

Can anyone direct me to a source where I can get this connector for cheap to the US?

thx

windtrader

Mar 23, 2009
I found the charger port on eBay from a US seller.

I took the phone apart to get a close look at the connector. Going to be a challenge for me as this is some fine soldering.

I have a 15 watt solderer. It has a fairly thin tip but seems big for the job. What size of tip is best?

himalayasplaya

Aug 5, 2008
D.M.V. (DC-MD-VA)
Is there someone I could pay to fix it for me? like at a store or something?

Also I heard if u get that ugly jack the one that 3in one jack that has another mini-usb out and another headphone jack it will work again?? is this true??

windtrader

Mar 23, 2009
I did order one of the plugs and soldered it in and the phone charging does not work. It may have been a poor solder job or something else got shorted in one of the internal circuits. The phone works fine but the battery needs to be charged externally and switched every day or two.

You can get the plug replaced by a shop but one local phone store quoted me a hundred bucks, more than the phone is worth.

If the mini plug in the phone is what is broken then nothing else you plug into it will work. You certainly can try it it and wiggle it around a bit.

In hindsight, I believe I could have saved my plug from going bad. It did not happen overnight and it did not occur to me to check the inside of the plug and check for possible bending of the connectors inside and straighten them up a bit. I did mess with the cable ends a lot, compressing them and such to make a better connection which worked a little but I think it messed up the internal connectors more. Check those internal connectors to be straight and that might help.

windtrader

Mar 23, 2009
VERY good news it still charges and syncs. What has happened is some of the connectors inside the plug are going bad or the cable that plugs the headphone into the phone plug is bad. If it is a bad cable no big deal. If it is pins inside the plug, you should be worried.

You can get music from the device via BT as suggested. But you will still be making frequent connections for battery charge and maybe synch too.

The HTC plug is a special mini-usb configuration and if the plug is the source of the problem I would seriously consider getting rid of it asap while it still works except for sound.

The plug might not get worse but odds are it will and then you are screwed, speaking from experience.

Good luck.

nicke85

Oct 26, 2007
Novi Sad
my experience

I haved that problem because reset hole is near usb slot and I puted in my stick in dark..but to resolve problem buyed whole second hand board for Kaiser and now have all parts for it for only 20 euro from local dealer..replacement is very cheap about 5 euro in mobile servis..

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
I haved that problem because reset hole is near usb slot and I puted in my stick in dark..but to resolve problem buyed whole second hand board for Kaiser and now have all parts for it for only 20 euro from local dealer..replacement is very cheap about 5 euro in mobile servis..

I did the same thing. Lucky for me I was able to bend the pins back with a knife. I felt horrible after that but I got lucky.

Top Liked Posts