[APP] Visual Traceroute

Search This thread

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
Current traceroute options for Android were a bit poor (short of opening up a command line and running nmap from there!), so here is a nice little app for doing a traceroute using nmap (if you have root, uses ping if you don't). Bonus - it shows the hops on a map where geoip information is available.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rc.vtrace

Visual Traceroute will show you, on a map, the path your data travels to any server in the world. Very easy to use, just enter the server's name and press go.

Visual Traceroute will use the 'ping' command available on most devices to determine the path your data travels, and will then use a database to look up the geographic location of this path. If your device is rooted, Visual Traceroute will use 'nmap' instead of 'ping', which provides for better and faster (UDP based) host detection.

Some routers block 'ping' (ICMP), and you will need a rooted device in this case. Some devices do not have 'ping' installed on them, and you will need a rooted device in this case too. The app will notify you in this case.
It's actually a part of a very comprehensive network app coming out soon by zImperium (full nmap scans, port connection, man-in-the-middle, driftnet-style image extraction, etc). Coming soon! :)

Attachments

• vtrace.1.2.apk
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,945
Last edited:

pannonmage

Jul 16, 2009
hey looks PROPER! it does not show up in my market and from web it tells me not compatible with my device lg opti 2x rooted 2.3.4. recategorize it, i have seen this with other posts also on market or make an apk available to us
cheers

RyanZA

Jan 21, 2006
JHB
First post updated with the APK download if you can't get it off the market.

I'm not really sure why, either. It is set to min Android 2.0 (because it's not like anybody is using less!) It requires internet access and google maps.

Anybody know which manifest attributes need to be included for it to show up on HTC Vision and LG 2X?

s300pmu1

Apr 15, 2011
Nice app, but using google maps is fun only if google is available.
It sounds unlikely, but it does indeed happen: right now my provider has f*d something up and I can't reach anything google, including maps.
So this neat app does not function at all.
Author, provide some fallback (e.g. non-gui traceroute output) in case google maps are not available...

heartspeace

Mar 21, 2008
Exceptional
Grab this before it disappears

This was taken off the market, probably because competitive products late due to a copyright infringement is my guess. It's only a consent to be wrong, but it is now off the market that it's not a guess.

KissMyWookie

Sep 22, 2010
Visual Traceroute pulled from Google Market/Play Store

Would like to hear from Ryan, why Google pulled this from the market.

Derzis

Apr 12, 2011
there is a comercial product for PC called VisualRoute
maybe it has something to do with them: visualroute.com

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Current traceroute options for Android were a bit poor (short of opening up a command line and running nmap from there!), so here is a nice little app for doing a traceroute using nmap (if you have root, uses ping if you don't). Bonus - it shows the hops on a map where geoip information is available.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rc.vtrace

Visual Traceroute will show you, on a map, the path your data travels to any server in the world. Very easy to use, just enter the server's name and press go.

Visual Traceroute will use the 'ping' command available on most devices to determine the path your data travels, and will then use a database to look up the geographic location of this path. If your device is rooted, Visual Traceroute will use 'nmap' instead of 'ping', which provides for better and faster (UDP based) host detection.

Some routers block 'ping' (ICMP), and you will need a rooted device in this case. Some devices do not have 'ping' installed on them, and you will need a rooted device in this case too. The app will notify you in this case.
    It's actually a part of a very comprehensive network app coming out soon by zImperium (full nmap scans, port connection, man-in-the-middle, driftnet-style image extraction, etc). Coming soon! :)
    New version of this app that uses the new Google Maps API (vectors, smooth scrolling, etc) with a better UI is available on Google Play now. Also has details of which organization controls each hop.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rc.vtrace2