[Q] Downgrading from 4.3?

Search This thread

imNooby

Sep 23, 2013
Hey, I want to Downgrade from 4.3 to any other version, perferrably ICS. PLEASE HALP :mad:
I tried using Odin to downgrade (I downgraded to ICS when i was 4.2.1, then used OTA to 4.3)... It didn't work.
I read a lot about KNOX and whatev, but I really want to go to ICS. Is it possible for me to downgrade?
I think i might've soft bricked my device, idk. Whenever i try to go to Download mode, as soon as the warning sign shows up, it just turns black and turns on, so i have to go download mode (downvolume power home) and then instantly press up. Idk if this is softbrick, but yeh.
It also says something on my phone after Odin fails. It says something like SW Rev Check Fail fused 2? something 0 i think i can't remember, soz.

So halp. I DON'T LIKE 4.3!!!
OH I FORGOT TO TELL...
I FORGOT TO SAVE MY STOCK ROM. SHET.
PEEELEEEEASEE HELPPPPP

Odin log if necessary:

Odin Log:<ID:0/006> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I747UCALG1_I747ATTALG1_I747UCALG1_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:1/008> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:1/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:1/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:1/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:1/008> Initialzation..
<ID:1/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:1/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:1/008> aboot.mbn
<ID:1/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:1/008> FAIL! (Auth)

imNooby

Sep 23, 2013
halp

Feel Free to ask any other questions. Any help is greatly appreciated...
More Info:
Using TWRP,
cm11 <-i like it, IT DOESn'T HAVE GOOGLE PLAY DOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HALP!

So tried installing Beanstalk 4.4 d2att, but i keep getting this error:

Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped.
I'm using:
BeanStalk-4.4015-20131204-d2att.zip
and
gapps-kk-20131208.zip
for gapps.

HALPPP :( I FORGOT TO SAVE STOCK ROM. THIS ISn'T THE FIRST TIME. IT'S MY SECOND. IM SO DUMB

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hey, I want to Downgrade from 4.3 to any other version, perferrably ICS. PLEASE HALP :mad:
I tried using Odin to downgrade (I downgraded to ICS when i was 4.2.1, then used OTA to 4.3)... It didn't work.
I read a lot about KNOX and whatev, but I really want to go to ICS. Is it possible for me to downgrade?
I think i might've soft bricked my device, idk. Whenever i try to go to Download mode, as soon as the warning sign shows up, it just turns black and turns on, so i have to go download mode (downvolume power home) and then instantly press up. Idk if this is softbrick, but yeh.
It also says something on my phone after Odin fails. It says something like SW Rev Check Fail fused 2? something 0 i think i can't remember, soz.

OH I FORGOT TO TELL...
PEEELEEEEASEE HELPPPPP

Odin log if necessary:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

You can't downgrade to ICS once you are on stock 4.3JB, at least, not without the risk of hard bricking your phone. This is because of the secure bootloader of 4.3 which has been so far, been impossible to safely downgrade. You could go through a fairly complicated route of downgrading the ROM only via Mobile Odin without downgrading the bootloader. However, unless there is a very good reason to downgrade, the risk wouldn't be worth it. So far, it's difficult to think of any argument that makes it worthwhile.

If you have already soft-bricked your phone, you would need to reflash stock 4.3 to get it back in working order. Be thankful all you have is a soft brick as the outcome of trying to flash an older bootloader once you are on 4.3 is more often a hard brick. You can search this forum for the thread on how to restore stock 4.3JB. You would need to flash custom recovery to your phone via Odin and then flash the stock restore zip via custom recovery. If you have difficulties finding the thread, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: imNooby

imNooby

Sep 23, 2013
ee

You can't downgrade to ICS once you are on stock 4.3JB, at least, not without the risk of hard bricking your phone. This is because of the secure bootloader of 4.3 which has been so far, been impossible to safely downgrade. You could go through a fairly complicated route of downgrading the ROM only via Mobile Odin without downgrading the bootloader. However, unless there is a very good reason to downgrade, the risk wouldn't be worth it. So far, it's difficult to think of any argument that makes it worthwhile.

If you have already soft-bricked your phone, you would need to reflash stock 4.3 to get it back in working order. Be thankful all you have is a soft brick as the outcome of trying to Odin to an older system is more often, a hard brick. You can search this forum for the thread on how to restore stock 4.3JB. You would need to flash custom recovery to your phone via Odin and then flash the stock restore zip via custom recovery. If you have difficulties finding the thread, please let me know.

Um where in the forums can i find such helpful things?

And is it possible to reflash stock 4.3 without bricking? o.o;; how do i get rid of this soft bricking thingy? I FORGOT TO SAVE STOCK ROM HALP please. ty <3
Sorry, I'm really new to Rooting... I come from a Jailbreaking e-z time.

And I still want to go down to ICS. Help.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

And is it possible to reflash stock 4.3 without bricking? o.o;; how do i get rid of this soft bricking thingy? I FORGOT TO SAVE STOCK ROM HALP please. ty <3

To restore stock 4.3, please follow the instructions in the thread below ....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658486

You would first need to download and flash custom recovery via Odin (TWRP or CWM). Thereafter, download the stock restore zip corresponding to the custom recovery version you chose. Save this zip to a (micro) SD card, place the card in your phone, boot to recovery and then flash the zip via recovery.

Flashing stock 4.3 should not brick your phone. In fact, it's the only way to restore the phone to working order once you've experienced a brick after upgrading to 4.3. You may lose your data but you'll have your phone back in working order.

I'll be very honest with you and advise you to take your mind off ICS. If you must go back to ICS, however, you may try the Mobile Odin route. First, you need to get your phone back in working order. Download and install Mobile Odin or Mobile Odin pro from the Play Store. Root your phone. Download the Odin flashable *.tar file for ICS and copy to your phone. Run Mobile Odin and follow the instructions on the Mobile Odin webpage. Flash the 4.1.1 tar file. to the system and kernel partitions only. Do not flash the model partition. The 4.3 bootloader will only work with the 4.3 modem so if you flash the modem partition, you will lose your baseband/modem and all cellular functioning.

pcshano

Dec 29, 2012
First off, if you're downgrading for free unlock, please forget it, there's no way to downgrade 4.3 bootloader as of now
Also when you're on AOSP ROMS like CM, the resin why there's no Google play is because you didn't flash gapps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

imNooby

Sep 23, 2013
Oh and what's the best ROM to save battery?
I'm not sure if it's just me, but if i play games on my SGH i747 d2att,
My battery drains really quickly. I can only play around 1-1hr30minutes straight gameplay 100% ->0%
And screen decides to flicker around anywhere between 10% and 20% and turns off, even though it hasn't been like 5%...
It overheats really quickly too...

O and is it possible to go back to stock 4.3, factory reset, and use a ICS rom?

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
You can roll back to ICS but you'll still be stuck with a 4.3 bootloader and the 4.3 modems may not work with ICS.

pcshano

Dec 29, 2012
Oh and what's the best ROM to save battery?
I'm not sure if it's just me, but if i play games on my SGH i747 d2att,
My battery drains really quickly. I can only play around 1-1hr30minutes straight gameplay 100% ->0%
And screen decides to flicker around anywhere between 10% and 20% and turns off, even though it hasn't been like 5%...
It overheats really quickly too...

O and is it possible to go back to stock 4.3, factory reset, and use a ICS rom?

there's no "best" rom.
just test around roms
and one thing about the battery life, it will always suck for the first charge after you flashed new rom, it will get better after the next full charge though. and if you're looking for "best" battery life, I suggest look into the kernels, I've been playing with quantum kernel and lean as well as dkp kernel, they are pretty good in term of battery life.

imNooby

Sep 23, 2013
there's no "best" rom.
just test around roms
and one thing about the battery life, it will always suck for the first charge after you flashed new rom, it will get better after the next full charge though. and if you're looking for "best" battery life, I suggest look into the kernels, I've been playing with quantum kernel and lean as well as dkp kernel, they are pretty good in term of battery life.

Err, but ever since running 4.3 I have been having Battery Drain Issues. Screen flickered around 10% every day, so that was one reason I wanted to root again.

You can roll back to ICS but you'll still be stuck with a 4.3 bootloader and the 4.3 modems may not work with ICS.

So basically I'm running 4.3 normal but using a ICS rom?
Is that wat a boot loader means ?o.o

Guys that posted on my question, thanks for your help... I'm still a noob at this, and I know rooting is kewl and stuff, but im from a iOS background in which jailbreaks were so ez. lawl.

So things I learned from this so far (correct me if im wrong)

1. Downgrading from JB to ICS is definitely not worth it, teh chances of having a bricked phone is high
2. Bootloader is the firmware that is installed in ur device (Not ROM)
3. idk lol rooting is dangerous?
4. I need an external SD Card
5. Flashing Stock ROM is safe... i think.

Sorry for being such a noob, and thank you for helping me. If you guys could, pls help me just a little more as I struggle to find the right ROMs and stay somewhere safe and sound.

I want to stay on a stable, non glitchy non crashy ROM that has both a lot of battery and a ROM that has kewl features. I don't really see the difference between my stock 4.3 and the cm 11 4.4.2? o.o new things in settings? idk;; lol
I just want to find a ROM that has kewl features battery life non crashy non glitchy... I tried BeanStalk, but it didn't seem to work....

TL;DR: Ty for helping me so far, errr im too lazy to make TL;DR, just read above, it will only take like 1 minute l0l

Edit 1: Is it possible for my SGH i747 to get SNote? Like not the one it alrdy comes with but the one with WolframAlpha Integration. I really want it to do my math :D other than that, nothing atm...
I tried to install it, it just says it didn't work Application Not installed or something like that. with an X

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
What ROM are you running on your phone right now?

You have a 4.3 bootloader, forget about trying to use an ICS ROM.

Just flash Philz Touch in Odin and flash a custom ROM that is either Kit Kat or a ROM based off Samsung's stock 4.3. By doing this, you will have a customizable ROM and root at the same time.

For battery life, you may have to try many ROMs before finding a ROM with good battery life on your phone.

imNooby

Sep 23, 2013
What ROM are you running on your phone right now?

You have a 4.3 bootloader, forget about trying to use an ICS ROM.

Just flash Philz Touch in Odin and flash a custom ROM that is either Kit Kat or a ROM based off Samsung's stock 4.3. By doing this, you will have a customizable ROM and root at the same time.

For battery life, you may have to try many ROMs before finding a ROM with good battery life on your phone.

I'm currently running cm 11 snapshot. 4.4.2

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Err, but ever since running 4.3 I have been having Battery Drain Issues. Screen flickered around 10% every day, so that was one reason I wanted to root again.

So basically I'm running 4.3 normal but using a ICS rom?
Is that wat a boot loader means ?o.o

Guys that posted on my question, thanks for your help... I'm still a noob at this, and I know rooting is kewl and stuff, but im from a iOS background in which jailbreaks were so ez. lawl.

So things I learned from this so far (correct me if im wrong)

1. Downgrading from JB to ICS is definitely not worth it, teh chances of having a bricked phone is high
2. Bootloader is the firmware that is installed in ur device (Not ROM)
3. idk lol rooting is dangerous?
4. I need an external SD Card
5. Flashing Stock ROM is safe... i think.

Sorry for being such a noob, and thank you for helping me. If you guys could, pls help me just a little more as I struggle to find the right ROMs and stay somewhere safe and sound.

I want to stay on a stable, non glitchy non crashy ROM that has both a lot of battery and a ROM that has kewl features. I don't really see the difference between my stock 4.3 and the cm 11 4.4.2? o.o new things in settings? idk;; lol
I just want to find a ROM that has kewl features battery life non crashy non glitchy... I tried BeanStalk, but it didn't seem to work....

TL;DR: Ty for helping me so far, errr im too lazy to make TL;DR, just read above, it will only take like 1 minute l0l

Edit 1: Is it possible for my SGH i747 to get SNote? Like not the one it alrdy comes with but the one with WolframAlpha Integration. I really want it to do my math :D other than that, nothing atm...
I tried to install it, it just says it didn't work Application Not installed or something like that. with an X

To clarify as simply as possible ....

Your phone's firmware (software) system is composed of several aspects each serving a different purpose. These are placed on your phone's storage system in what are called 'partitions'. The bootloader is one of the partitions but a very important one in that it is the one that pulls together all the different firmware resources at booting to get your phone working. Therefore, if the bootloader is compromised, none of the other systems can work. This is what happens when a brick occurs. The ROM or system is the one that drives the operating system or basic commands you see on your phone. It is, therefore, possible to have an ICS ROM on the 4.3 JellyBean bootloader. However, as we've all advised, the benefits, if any, are not worth the strong risk of a brick.

Rooting is not dangerous in itself although any process that causes alteration to your phone's operating system is inherently risky. The real danger in rooting is the apps or utilities that may be enabled to run after rooting and the risk of introducing malware to your device. Rooting simply gives you greater control over your phone - pretty much analogous to jail-breaking on iOS.

You only need the external SD card if you are going to flash a zipped firmware ROM to your phone and your device is currently not working normally to enable you store files to the internal storage. I gathered from your initial post that the phone is not booting into system. If you can save files to your phone's internal storage, then you may not need an external card. Otherwise, you will need the card to flash zips.

Yes, Stock ROMs are inherently safer than custom ROMs. There are downsides to stock ROMs too - having to cope with bloatware and all that stuff. Also, there is always a risk in flashing anything even stock firmware.

Finally, if your concern is about battery drainage, like Audit advised, you may flash a custom ROM that uses much less storage and has gotten rid of the bloatware and redundant apps typical of stock ROMs. Before, doing this, however, check that your current battery itself isn't running out of juice, your charging cable is of good quality and you are not running battery guzzling apps, even in the background.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OH I FORGOT TO TELL...
    PEEELEEEEASEE HELPPPPP

Odin log if necessary:

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> Leave CS..

If you have already soft-bricked your phone, you would need to reflash stock 4.3 to get it back in working order. Be thankful all you have is a soft brick as the outcome of trying to flash an older bootloader once you are on 4.3 is more often a hard brick. You can search this forum for the thread on how to restore stock 4.3JB. You would need to flash custom recovery to your phone via Odin and then flash the stock restore zip via custom recovery. If you have difficulties finding the thread, please let me know.

To restore stock 4.3, please follow the instructions in the thread below ....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2658486

You would first need to download and flash custom recovery via Odin (TWRP or CWM). Thereafter, download the stock restore zip corresponding to the custom recovery version you chose. Save this zip to a (micro) SD card, place the card in your phone, boot to recovery and then flash the zip via recovery.

Flashing stock 4.3 should not brick your phone. In fact, it's the only way to restore the phone to working order once you've experienced a brick after upgrading to 4.3. You may lose your data but you'll have your phone back in working order.

I'll be very honest with you and advise you to take your mind off ICS. If you must go back to ICS, however, you may try the Mobile Odin route. First, you need to get your phone back in working order. Download and install Mobile Odin or Mobile Odin pro from the Play Store. Root your phone. Download the Odin flashable *.tar file for ICS and copy to your phone. Run Mobile Odin and follow the instructions on the Mobile Odin webpage. Flash the 4.1.1 tar file. to the system and kernel partitions only. Do not flash the model partition. The 4.3 bootloader will only work with the 4.3 modem so if you flash the modem partition, you will lose your baseband/modem and all cellular functioning.
    First off, if you're downgrading for free unlock, please forget it, there's no way to downgrade 4.3 bootloader as of now
    Also when you're on AOSP ROMS like CM, the resin why there's no Google play is because you didn't flash gapps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk