Observations: Photon Q Vehicle Dock

Search This thread

N1XRR

Oct 10, 2007
I had a hard time finding any info about the car dock before I purchased one. So, here are a few things that may be of use to someone:
  • The included power adapter is rated at 750ma
    The dock has 2x USB outputs, but at 750ma it's only just enough power to maintain GPS, Bluetooth, Backlight and a data connection (with semi-weak signal). Charging 2 phones at once isn't recommended.
  • The dock has an identifier so the phone knows that it's a vehicle dock (as opposed to my old Photon 4G)
    When you first drop the phone into the dock, it asks you what kind of dock you are using. The Home dock does the same thing. It remembers each dock via a dock ID of some sort.
  • The dock fits the phone extremely well, best one I've had so far.
    Better than the Droid 2 and Photon 4G. The Photon Q drops in with little effort and holds in place VERY well.

Reactions: zurvan2

N1XRR

Oct 10, 2007
It doesn't do that with me....but then I only have (and have only used) the car dock. Maybe it requires docking with both docks before it prompts you?

Possibly. It's been a few weeks since I first dropped the phone into the dock...
But, putting the phone into a new dock of the same type (at least the Home dock) prompts to request what type of dock is connected.

benofilis

Jun 27, 2007
Anyone have any tips on where to find one under $50? I'm really missing having a good dock, but getting impatient for the price to go down.

cmags

Dec 22, 2010
Lowell, MA
Looking at picking up the Costco deal on the Pho Q with free car dock after MIR, and wanted to confirm - I'm guessing that you can't use the dock with a case on the phone, correct? Looks like it wouldn't slide in properly.

Anyone try the dock with one of those Skinz "cases" which are really more like full body screen protector films?

PythonFanTN

I can't say from personal experience that you can use it with a case (mainly because I don't use cases nor have some little voice in my head compelling me that I absolutely must have one)....but I do know the dock comes with a little insert that you take out/don't use in the (no pun intended) 'case' of those who use cases.

N1XRR

Oct 10, 2007
Looking at picking up the Costco deal on the Pho Q with free car dock after MIR, and wanted to confirm - I'm guessing that you can't use the dock with a case on the phone, correct? Looks like it wouldn't slide in properly.

Anyone try the dock with one of those Skinz "cases" which are really more like full body screen protector films?

There is a plastic adapter that needs to be inserted in the dock for a "snug" fit. I suppose you could just leave the adapter off for a slightly looser fit and try it with the case on.

cmags

Dec 22, 2010
Lowell, MA
Thanks for the info. I've got mine ordered, and having not seen your replies, ordered one of those "full body screen protectors" to protect the sides of the phone so it would fit in the dock. But, if there's a removable insert to allow more room for a case, I may get an Otterbox. I'll have to see how much extra play room it comes with before committing to a case that may or may not fit.

ericcire

Sep 12, 2007
Does the dock make the phone go in to vehicle mode? Is there a way to disable this so you can still fully operate the phone?

zurvan2

Aug 4, 2009
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Does the dock make the phone go in to vehicle mode? Is there a way to disable this so you can still fully operate the phone?

It does make it go into vehicle mode, but that doesn't change all that much. It just launches a custom launcher app with large horizontal icons and sets up bluetooth (if you want the app to do that) and audio-out to the dock. It also has a page of customizable launcher buttons, which is a big step up from other "Car Home" apps.

You can get back to the regular homescreen by just hitting the regular home button.

You could probably also use something like Tasker to customize what happens when you put it in the dock. (I use Tasker to explicitly launch the vehicle home app, because I want the audio out, *then* launch my audiobook app)

Last edited:

LongF

Jan 20, 2013
Has anyone tested mass storage access in the vehicle dock? Mine won´t work. The phone charges but the alpine headunit says no usb-device. With the same cable without the dock between the usb cable and the phone it works well.

Mordannon

May 2, 2013
South Elgin
I have had both the photon 4g and the lte with docks and i thought the old one was a bit better built but the new one does fit well. On mine whenever you hit the home button when in the dock it went to car home not your normal home screen but if you run a third party launcher you can change that. I noticed that the charger that comes with it doesnt always have enough juice to charge it if you are in an area of weak signal with gps running so i swapped the charger with a 2A one that i used for my tablet. Never have a problem now and my phone will go from 70% batter to almost full in my 30 min drive home from work.

Hope it helps.

pir8man

I thought I might ask here before opening a new thread.... Anyone know what protective cases are compatible with the dock?

I (like many) prefer otterbox cases. But with my last phone the Otterbox case blocked the data connector to the vehicle dock.

Anyone tried the otterbox case with the dock? or any recommendations for other cases that ARE vehicle dock compatible?

bradleymaustin

Jan 9, 2012
Chandler
OnePlus 9 Pro
I thought I might ask here before opening a new thread.... Anyone know what protective cases are compatible with the dock?

I (like many) prefer otterbox cases. But with my last phone the Otterbox case blocked the data connector to the vehicle dock.

Anyone tried the otterbox case with the dock? or any recommendations for other cases that ARE vehicle dock compatible?

Ottorbox is very tight even without the adapter plate (taking it out allows for a fatter phone) and the rubber flap blocks the ports and you cant fold it back or it doesnt fit...

Sent from my XT897 using xda premium

PythonFanTN

On mine whenever you hit the home button when in the dock it went to car home not your normal home screen but if you run a third party launcher you can change that.

On the newest/JB build, there's actually 2 home buttons...the middle right one goes back to vehicle dock home, but you can press the one on the lower lefthand corner to go back to regular phone home.

Buckaru11

Oct 31, 2010
Sioux City
I am thinking about getting this phone ,I saw I another thread that the droid 3 desk dock works well withthis phone ,so would the droid 3 car dock also work?

Sent from my Droid 3 using xda app-developers app

Speedraca

Jun 10, 2013
Ottawa
Can anyone tell me if this dock's ability to launch the "car mode" is available in custom ROMs like CyanogenMod? I.e. is there custom software needed to enable this functionality, or is it part of stock Android?

kabaldan

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Prague
android.doshaska.net
Can anyone tell me if this dock's ability to launch the "car mode" is available in custom ROMs like CyanogenMod? I.e. is there custom software needed to enable this functionality, or is it part of stock Android?

The ability is there, the car mode is detected and signalled properly in CM10.1, but there is no car home/launcher app installed as part of pure AOSP/CM jellybean system installation - you have to install some car home app from play market so it's launched automatically when the phone enters the car dock.

Reactions: Speedraca

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had a hard time finding any info about the car dock before I purchased one. So, here are a few things that may be of use to someone:
    • The included power adapter is rated at 750ma
      The dock has 2x USB outputs, but at 750ma it's only just enough power to maintain GPS, Bluetooth, Backlight and a data connection (with semi-weak signal). Charging 2 phones at once isn't recommended.
    • The dock has an identifier so the phone knows that it's a vehicle dock (as opposed to my old Photon 4G)
      When you first drop the phone into the dock, it asks you what kind of dock you are using. The Home dock does the same thing. It remembers each dock via a dock ID of some sort.
    • The dock fits the phone extremely well, best one I've had so far.
      Better than the Droid 2 and Photon 4G. The Photon Q drops in with little effort and holds in place VERY well.

The ability is there, the car mode is detected and signalled properly in CM10.1, but there is no car home/launcher app installed as part of pure AOSP/CM jellybean system installation - you have to install some car home app from play market so it's launched automatically when the phone enters the car dock.
    If anybody is searching for the original motorola photon q 4g car vehicle dock, take look at ebay 271507482171.
    I bought 2 of them and the fits as they should - perfectly.
    I was searching many times for an acceptable good price and at the end i found it.