<< GUIDE & Q/A AOSP LTE Issues US / Canada >>

Search This thread

derberts

Jul 18, 2012
Just thought I'd post this as it might be the fix you need for your lte.

I was having lte issues with every rom I tried. Naturally, I flashed back to stock ICS as this would usually fix any problems I ever had with my phone. Unfortunately, I would still only get HSPA and nothing more. I then tried the format trick (*2767*3855#) which also did not help. Finally, I tried scanning network operator in my mobile settings but again, no luck. I decided I'd triangle away and take my phone in for repair today as I thought for sure it was a hardware issue. Before going to Telus, I thought of one last hail Mary, my buddy at work has a note and is on telus as well, so we switched sims and voila, LTE was finally back on my phone and he wasn't able to get LTE on his phone using my sim card. So I went to telus and got a new sim card and now my lte issues are gone, I've been locked on since leaving and getting double the speeds I used to get before I started having issues.

I will add that the sim that was failing me was the one that came with my S3 when I bought it from Telus, so it wasn't like I was using a sim from an older phone that wasn't lte capable.

I hope this helps anyone who might be having lte issues and if it does, please let me know in this thread.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

DLogan24

Apr 17, 2013
LTE/4G/3G Issue

So I'm running CM10.1 on baseband i747MVLDLK4 on Samsung Galaxy S3(of course) Rogers. I had to mess around with the APN settings a bit for it to start showing 4G, because previously it was showing 3G. My current APN settings are:

(Deleted all other APNs)
Name -Rogers LTE
APN - ltemobile.apn
Proxy - <not set>
Port - <not set>
Username- <Not set>
Passwors - <not set>
Server < not set>
MMSC - ttp://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS - proxy 10.128.1.69
MMS - Port 80
MMS protocol - Wap 2.0 or Blank <<<-- This option does not show for me at all
MCC - 302
MNC - 720
Aythentication type - < not set>
APN type - *

I live in Toronto, as stated previously. my carrier is Rogers and I previously used to receive LTE connection before rooting it. I went back to stock rom and re rooted my phone again because I had a GPS issue, but the GPS issue is fixed now but the LTE issue still remains. It shows 4G at all times EXCEPT when I make phone calls, it quickly changes to 3G(sometimes flickers back and forth from 3G/H/H+) and then when i'm off the phone, it will go back to 4G. I changed my Network Mode to LTE/GSM/WCDMA in regular Network settings screen(this sticks). Only thing that is not sticking is when I use the code *#*#4636#*#* and in there when I change it to LTE/GSM/WCDMA. It will change back to LTE/GSM auto (PRL) immediately. As few people mentioned that sometimes changing SIM cards work, but shouldn't my SIM card support LTE if I was getting LTE prior to rooting?

Can anyone help me, please!

Last edited:
So I'm running CM10.1 on baseband i747MVLDLK4 on Samsung Galaxy S3(of course) Rogers. I had to mess around with the APN settings a bit for it to start showing 4G, because previously it was showing 3G. My current APN settings are:

(Deleted all other APNs)
Name -Rogers LTE
APN - ltemobile.apn
Proxy - <not set>
Port - <not set>
Username- <Not set>
Passwors - <not set>
Server < not set>
MMSC - ttp://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS - proxy 10.128.1.69
MMS - Port 80
MMS protocol - Wap 2.0 or Blank <<<-- This option does not show for me at all
MCC - 302
MNC - 720
APN type - *

I live in Toronto, as stated previously. my carrier is Rogers and I previously used to receive LTE connection before rooting it. I went back to stock rom and re rooted my phone again because I had a GPS issue, but the GPS issue is fixed now but the LTE issue still remains. It shows 4G at all times EXCEPT when I make phone calls, it quickly changes to 3G(sometimes flickers back and forth from 3G/H/H+) and then when i'm off the phone, it will go back to 4G. I changed my Network Mode to LTE/GSM/WCDMA in regular Network settings screen(this sticks). Only thing that is not sticking is when I use the code *#*#4636#*#* and in there when I change it to LTE/GSM/WCDMA. It will change back to LTE/GSM auto (PRL) immediately. As few people mentioned that sometimes changing SIM cards work, but shouldn't my SIM card support LTE if I was getting LTE prior to rooting?

I know there's a question in there somewhere...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

DLogan24

Apr 17, 2013
I know there's a question in there somewhere...

I didn't really understand..? I thought I provided enough information needed to maybe see if anyone can help me. If I didn't let me know, so I can provide it. Unless you're just here to be sarcastic.

Last edited:
I didn't really understand..? I thought I provided enough information needed to maybe see if anyone can help me. If I didn't let me know, so I can provide it. Unless you're just here to be sarcastic.

I'm not being sarcastic. You give out a ton of information but no actual question. Can you please formulate a clear question so we can figure out how to help you. :D

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

A few people mentioned that sometimes changing SIM cards work, but shouldn't my SIM card support LTE if I was getting LTE prior to rooting?

If that is your question the answer is yes. I just assumed it wasn't because you wouldn't write all this for that question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app

DLogan24

Apr 17, 2013
I'm not being sarcastic. You give out a ton of information but no actual question. Can you please formulate a clear question so we can figure out how to help you. :D

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

If that is your question the answer is yes. I just assumed it wasn't because you wouldn't write all this for that question.

Ahh..okay I see what you're saying. Sorry about the confusion, but I figured my question about SIM card supporting LTE would indicate my situation. Well yeah, I'm trying to regain my LTE connection that I originally was getting prior to rooting the phone and running CM10.1. I'm currently getting a 4G signal, but like I mentioned earlier, it tends to switch to 3G/H when I make a call and also when I'm in certain areas, it will just stick to 3G for some time. I've yet to see the "LTE" signal ever since running CM10.1 (nightlies).

Thanks for the replies!

Ahh..okay I see what you're saying. Sorry about the confusion, but I figured my question about SIM card supporting LTE would indicate my situation. Well yeah, I'm trying to regain my LTE connection that I originally was getting prior to rooting the phone and running CM10.1. I'm currently getting a 4G signal, but like I mentioned earlier, it tends to switch to 3G/H when I make a call and also when I'm in certain areas, it will just stick to 3G for some time. I've yet to see the "LTE" signal ever since running CM10.1 (nightlies).

Thanks for the replies!

OK. Perfect. Now we're getting somewhere. The fact that your phone loses LTE while you making a phone call is perfectly normal. LTE or the version that we have so far is only for data not voice. Voice over LTE will probably be the next step. As far as not seeing LTE it's because on certain roms 4G is LTE. So when you see 4G go to settings /about phone /status. It should say LTE 14, hspa or umts. But since you have the right APN settings I'm pretty sure it'll say LTE. Let me know. Don't forget to hit thanks if I helped. ;)

DLogan24

Apr 17, 2013

OK. Perfect. Now we're getting somewhere. The fact that your phone loses LTE while you making a phone call is perfectly normal. LTE or the version that we have so far is only for data not voice. Voice over LTE will probably be the next step. As far as not seeing LTE it's because on certain roms 4G is LTE. So when you see 4G go to settings /about phone /status. It should say LTE 14, hspa or umts. But since you have the right APN settings I'm pretty sure it'll say LTE. Let me know. Don't forget to hit thanks if I helped. ;)

Oh okay, yeah I did read a few people saying that if it displays 4G, depending on ROM, it means it really is LTE. The fact that it was switching to 3G at times, i thought was weird. For example, right now it shows 3G. I went into Settings/Status..and under Network Type it shows "UMTS:3". What is this mean? Thank you!

Oh okay, yeah I did read a few people saying that if it displays 4G, depending on ROM, it means it really is LTE. The fact that it was switching to 3G at times, i thought was weird. For example, right now it shows 3G. I went into Settings/Status..and under Network Type it shows "UMTS:3". What is this mean? Thank you!

Umts=3g
Hspa= H
Hspda= H+

You have to understand that if for some reason your LTE signal is weak it'll switch to another frequency. When you see 4g check your status and report please. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with your device.

derberts

Jul 18, 2012

So you're not seeing LTE on your stock rom anymore?

Reactions: DLogan24

DLogan24

Apr 17, 2013
Umts=3g
Hspa= H
Hspda= H+

You have to understand that if for some reason your LTE signal is weak it'll switch to another frequency. When you see 4g check your status and report please. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with your device.

I'll post back within an hour or so when I leave work. When I'm at work, I only see 3G, but the as soon as I step out(Downtown, Toronto) I will get 4G.

So you're not seeing LTE on your stock rom anymore?
Prior to rooting my phone, my LTE was working perfectly fine. I ended up having to go back to stock rom the other day to fix a GPS issue I had, even when I did go back it was working fine. Just when I'm running CM10, I've yet to see LTE. My phone right now randomly goes from 4G/3G/H.

Thank you for your help/replies!!

DLogan24

Apr 17, 2013
Umts=3g
Hspa= H
Hspda= H+

Yeah, so I checked my status while it shows 4G. It says LTE:3, I guess when it displays 4G, it means its LTE?

Yeah, so I checked my status while it shows 4G. It says LTE:3, I guess when it displays 4G, it means its LTE?

Correctamundo! Some American providers don't have LTE. So when in doubt check your status. Since the providers all got together and falsely advertised hspa and Hspda as as 4g it got real messy, but that's another conversation. I hope all your questions have been answered.

Reactions: DLogan24

flexfulton

May 17, 2012
Ottawa
I hope I've come to the right place to post this question.

I'm currently on the Rogers network in Canada, running the latest CM10.1 nightly with stock kernel and the LJ1 baseband.

My issue is that lately, in the last month or so my phone would rather hang onto 0% 4G signal than switch back to 3G. This results in a big drain on the battery as it's searching for signal. I can get full bars 3G at my work but just a faint 4G signal.

Is there a reason that my phone won't switch to 3G more often when the 4G signal is poor or missing?

I'd rather not turn off the LTE completely. Just hoping someone might have experienced the same thing. I've tried different modems but that doesn't appear to change anything for me.

Thank you for your time.

I'm currently on the Rogers network in Canada, running the latest CM10.1 nightly with stock kernel and the LJ1 baseband.

My issue is that lately, in the last month or so my phone would rather hang onto 0% 4G signal than switch back to 3G. This results in a big drain on the battery as it's searching for signal. I can get full bars 3G at my work but just a faint 4G signal.

Is there a reason that my phone won't switch to 3G more often when the 4G signal is poor or missing?

I'd rather not turn off the LTE completely. Just hoping someone might have experienced the same thing. I've tried different modems but that doesn't appear to change anything for me.

Thank you for your time.

Same thing here. At home I only get 1 or 2 bars. But running a speed test I still get 10 down 5 up so my guess is that even though the signal is weak it's still faster than a full 3g signal would be and maybe the modem prioritizes the faster signal over the stronger one. Btw I'm only speculating feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

derberts

Jul 18, 2012

Thank you for your time.

Have you tried flashing other modems ?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

flexfulton

May 17, 2012
Ottawa
Have you tried flashing other modems ?

As indicated in my original post I've tried other modems.

I've ran through the list of all "M" modems with no difference.

I am bound as well by the garbled call display that occurs on the most recent 4 modems. I can only use the first couple modems that were released to have a normal appearing name on the call display. It doesn't matter though because none of them switch back and forth between 3G and 4G as good as it used too.

flexfulton

May 17, 2012
Ottawa
Here is a screen capture of what I'm looking at. It would rather hang around for quite a while with this type of signal over jumping back to 3G.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-23-16-31-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-23-16-31-10.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 253

mumbo jumbo

Sep 24, 2012
is it a "must" to delete the other apns once we have set it to the correct one and now have lte in that area?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you having issues with LTE on an AOSP ROM? Look here for information, and post any questions you may have about the subject.

First, we need to debunk the carrier's explanation of 4g. The carriers will explain to you that if it says 4g on the stock ROM you are using LTE. That is NOT true, 4g on the stock ROM is actually H, or H+, which is technically 3.5g, and not LTE. The stock ROM displays LTE as 4g LTE

So the first thing you need to do is make SURE you are in a location that has LTE coverage. Go to your carrier's website and verify with their coverage map

Coverage Maps:

AT&T
    Rogers
    Bell
    Telus

AOSP based ROMs display your true network connectivity as follows:

G = GPRS
    E = EDGE
    3g = 3g
    H = HSDPA / HSPA
    H+ = HSDPA+ / HSPA+
    4g = LTE

For Canadian users, you MUST verify LTE / GSM / WCDMA is selected.

The Dialer Code is *#*#DATA*#*# (or *#*#4636#*#*). You will enter the Data Programming menu, to set it.

Here is an app that will access the menu for you:

LTEOnOFF

Reported ROMs the settings stick on reboot:

CM10
    SlimBean
    AOKP

Now you have to verify you are using the correct LTE APN settings, and if not, add it.
    You can access your APNs by "System Settings => More => Mobile networks => Access Point Names"

Here are the LTE settings for ALL US and Canadian carriers:

AT&T

Name: ATT PTA
    APN: pta
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Auth: none
    APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri

Rogers

APN - ltemobile.apn
    Proxy - <not set>
    Port - <not set>
    Username- <Not set>
    Passwors - <not set>
    Server < not set>
    MMSC - http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS - proxy 10.128.1.69
    MMS - Port 80
    MMS protocol - Wap 2.0 or Blank
    MCC - 302
    MNC - 720
    APN type - either "*" or "internet + mms" Should work

Bell

APN: pda.bell.ca
    Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    Port:80
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mms.bell.ca/mms/wapenc
    MMS Proxy: web.wireless.bell.ca
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC:302
    MNC: 610
    Authentication Type: Not set
    APN Type: Not set

Telus

NAME: TELUS SP
    APN: sp.telus.com
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Username: not set
    Password: not set
    Server: not set
    MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.18
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 220
    Authentication type: not set
    APN Type: default,mms,hipri
    Bearer: unspecified

Alaska Communications (ACS)
    2 APNs

Data APN:

Name: ACS Data
    APN: web.acs
    MCC 311 (Default)
    MNC 370 (Default)
    APN type: “default,supl” or “*”

MMS APN:

Name: ACS MMS
    APN: mms.acs
    MMSC: http://mmsc.gci.csky.us:6672
    MMS proxy: 209.4.229.92
    MMS port: 9201
    MCC 311 (Default)
    MNC 370 (Default)
    APN type: mms

Or the easiest way to do it would be just to edit the two current (GCI) APNs and change in the APN where ‘gci’ is listed to ‘acs’.

-Frozen

Fido

apn: ltemobile.apn
    mmsc: http://mms.fido.ca
    mms proxy: 204.151.11.13
    mms port: 80
    mcc: 370
    apn type: internet +mms
    reserved for god
    My lte wasn't working when I flashed to cm10 yesterday. I did the steps you stated, deleted all other apn other than the rogerslte one and restarted my phone. It has been working since then.

Carrier? could you post your settings for help with the guide? If they look exactly the same, just say theyre the same...
    I'm with Rogers, everything is the same except for the mms protocol. I left mine blank instead of Wap 2.0

fixed, thx
    Could users of other AOSP ROMs comment on does it stick on reboot?