[OTA] Android 4.4.2 KitKat (HTC One VZW) update is live! 2/6/14

Search This thread

gadgetrants

Dec 18, 2010
I'm in the same boat so don't feel alone lol

Same here -- NBR = never been rooted (well, not on the One I mean!) -- so now we have a support group. This is probably the first phone I haven't felt the need to root anyway, except for little issues like tweaking system files, and in my case, running a tethering app. :(

-Matt

Soul TKR

Jun 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
www.wesvfx.com
Same here -- NBR = never been rooted (well, not on the One I mean!) -- so now we have a support group. This is probably the first phone I haven't felt the need to root anyway, except for little issues like tweaking system files, and in my case, running a tethering app. :(

-Matt

I agree, I never have felt the absolute need to root on this phone is why I haven't yet. My old Thunderbolt was horrible and needed rooting right away lol

arizonaomnia

May 29, 2009
I agree, I never have felt the absolute need to root on this phone is why I haven't yet. My old Thunderbolt was horrible and needed rooting right away lol

I rooted mine after owning it and loving it for about a month. I installed every rom out there, I think, and I always found one thing that the stock one did better or that had been removed that I needed. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the latest snapshot CyanogenMod 11, but I couldn't leave the Sense camera. UnSense was great, but I really want the incoming call on the lock screen. And frankly, I do like the new Sense, AND I am apparently one of the few who likes the 5.5 lock screen. BUT, there were things that I missed out on running the stock Rom. So....being rooted....I removed any bloatware I didn't want with TiBu, installed the Xposed Installer with Sense 5 Toolbox, modded it so a long press on power creates a flashlight when the device is off, installed the advanced power menu, removed my battery icon in favor of a percent, removed my GPS reticle, and added volume button to wake. Presto - the already awesome stock Kit Kat Rom, running exactly the way I want it.

Sent from my HTC One

Soul TKR

Jun 19, 2011
Seattle, WA
www.wesvfx.com
I rooted mine after owning it and loving it for about a month. I installed every rom out there, I think, and I always found one thing that the stock one did better or that had been removed that I needed. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the latest snapshot CyanogenMod 11, but I couldn't leave the Sense camera. UnSense was great, but I really want the incoming call on the lock screen. And frankly, I do like the new Sense, AND I am apparently one of the few who likes the 5.5 lock screen. BUT, there were things that I missed out on running the stock Rom. So....being rooted....I removed any bloatware I didn't want with TiBu, installed the Xposed Installer with Sense 5 Toolbox, modded it so a long press on power creates a flashlight when the device is off, installed the advanced power menu, removed my battery icon in favor of a percent, removed my GPS reticle, and added volume button to wake. Presto - the already awesome stock Kit Kat Rom, running exactly the way I want it.

Sent from my HTC One

I'm drooling.... :)

onthehole

Nov 26, 2011
I should gain S-OFF here in a few minutes on stock 4.3 out of the box.

If I want to go to Stock/Rooted I am guessing I should take the OTA before flashing Clockwork/SSU?

EDIT: I am S-OFF! (verified in Bootloader)

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

So can I flash stock recovery, take the ota then flash custom recovery and su zip and be back to stock rooted ? Btw I've been s-off since I got the phone.

Yes.

Sent from my HTC One

Just saw this, can anyone verify? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

arizonaomnia

May 29, 2009
I should gain S-OFF here in a few minutes on stock 4.3 out of the box.

If I want to go to Stock/Rooted I am guessing I should take the OTA before flashing Clockwork/SSU?

EDIT: I am S-OFF! (verified in Bootloader)

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Just saw this, can anyone verify? Thanks everyone!

I can verify because it worked for me.

Sent from my HTC One

Reactions: onthehole

mattp427

Sep 15, 2013
Does anyone know if there has been any movement on rooting the ota? I'm itching for something other than. Sense.

gadgetrants

Dec 18, 2010
Does anyone know if there has been any movement on rooting the ota? I'm itching for something other than. Sense.

Here's the latest from the most promising thread on the development forum:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2473644&page=135

I have a 4.4.2 root method theory... If anyone is interested in testing please pm me.

Sent from my Lunar Ecliptic One.

I'd say..."don't hold your breath."

-Matt

duvious

Dec 3, 2010
Stock Updated: Miss my FoxFi Though

I have never rooted my Verizon HTC One. Never really had the need to as I am older and have a house full of kids and I don't have the time to tinker with it any more. I miss doing that actually.

That said, before I updated I forgot to see if FoxFi/PDANet would work on it and it doesn't! That is my only problem with it. That and I don't really see a huge difference between 4.3 and 4.4. Battery life may be better.

I may end up rooting it soon if PDA Net cannot find a way in. I paid for the unlimited and loved the access when I need it and I am not smart enough to do it myself.

zoemilan1

Apr 5, 2010
Hi guys...I'm from Trinidad & Tobago n I just bought my HTC one ...we don't have cdma here so I can't download ota's...is it possible for someone to post the 4.4.2 ota for me please...

xuanphucn

May 6, 2011
hey guys, I just bought this phone today and the was already updated to 4.4.2. now that I want to root and unlock boot loader. Is there anyway to root and unlock boot loader for 4.4.2 yet?:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone have the system dump from the update ???

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I posted the full odex rom here.
    Should be every bit as useful...if not more so.
    Lol isn't it funny how both CDMA carriers beat both GSM carriers to the update you know there some people out there butt hurt because of this ?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Update 2/11/14: This thread has evolved into a very informative thread! Please take the time to read the many posts in this thread, there is alot of q&a, troubleshooting and general good info. Thanks!!

My wife just checked her stock VZW HTC One, and her download has started. 617 MB in size! Go get your update now for those who are stock. I suggest waiting for our resident developers to do their magic on a custom stock ROM and more.

Note **I had to manually check for an update, and then initiate the download.**

Update: after the OTA downloaded, it did not prompt to install the update. Doing a complete shutdown, then starting the phone normally brings up the prompt for the update. Have fun!
    Agreed. Had to wipe off my glasses and check again when I first saw it. Can't believe we don't even get the option to set the number of attempts.

-Matt

If rooted, its a simple XML edit.
    Not sure why they force that...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Verizon pulled a fast one on me. I am thoroughly impressed.

Here's the link to the changelog:
    http://support.verizonwireless.com/content/dam/support/pdf/system_update/htc-one.pdf

Build Number: 3.11.605.1
    Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2