Poll - If S5 Prime is released this year should we take action?

If Samsung lied to me about the S5 Prime...

• I'm Angry and would like to vent.

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I am angry but I don't vent.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Couldn't give a hoot.

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Bye Samsung (Well maybe)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Bye Samsung (Seriously)

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
Just interested in how current S5 owners will feel if Samsung brings out an upgrade to the current S5 this year after stating clearly this was not going to happen. Personally I would have not purchased the S5, kept the S3 and waited for the super model.

Also do you think we should do anything about it, spam Samsung's facebook account, write letters of complaint, or will we just have to lump it?

I know this has been discussed to death already, just interested in numbers and whether as a group we should do anything about it, please dont discuss anything else here but that.

Reactions: Pinkmonst3r

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
Also do you think we should do anything about it, spam Samsung's facebook account, write letters of complaint, or will we just have to lump it?

I know this has been discussed to death already, just interested in numbers and whether as a group we should do anything about it, please dont discuss anything else here but that.

Spamming their social accounts will accomplish nothing.

People already did it several times before, with the whole Exynos source issues on the S3...

It will not work. Try something else but that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: barondebxl

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
Spamming their social accounts will accomplish nothing.

People already did it several times before, with the whole Exynos source issues on the S3...

It will not work. Try something else but that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I doubt anything will make a difference, plus most people probably didnt understand the Exynos issue on facebook, they will however understand being lied to, this is why I think spamming facebook might achieve something this time, if only to make a statement.

dragon135

Jan 23, 2011
What is the problem?
LG g pro 2 and they release G3
HTC m8 and they will release htc prime
Sony z and they rilis z1 last year
Samsung s5 and they release prime

Its about providing the latest tech to customer at the earliest available time and tech war among them and apple.
So if s5 is not attractive for s4 owner, they can now buy the prime version. S3 owner already happy upgrading to s5.

Do u want samsung to delay s5 to july waiting for the better tech in Q2/Q3 2014? Or htc/sony delay m8/z2 waiting for the same? S5/m8/z2 is using the latest tech available to mass produced on Q1 2014. Why complain?

Technology always moving fast.

Sent from GT-I9500

Reactions: luigi311 and surf1

bungadudu

Feb 8, 2012
Just interested in how current S5 owners will feel if Samsung brings out an upgrade to the current S5 this year after stating clearly this was not going to happen. Personally I would have not purchased the S5, kept the S3 and waited for the super model.

You know the same happened with the
S3, I9305 - got an upgrade to I9306
S4, I9505 - got an upgrade to I9506
and in a few months..
S5, G900 will get an upgrade to G906

This doesnt mean that the original version is junk, it's still great, but the technology is advancing so fast that for a flagship to hold true to its name (best of what that company can offer), it must be upgraded more often.

For example, Sony's official policy is to bring a new flagship every 6 months.

This is how things go.

You just enjoy your s5 and quit thinking about this. It's a great phone, and will remain that for this year at least!

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
for me the s5 was a hesitant buy, it was a fairly decent upgrade on the S3 but not the S4, I had an S3. However I was still on the fence as there were rumours that the prime would follow. I then decided to wait but shortly after Samsung's CEO stated categorically there would be no prime, so I bought the S5

No, my S5 wont suddenly loose its potency as soon as the S5 prime comes out, I wont even care the S5 is not the top phone anymore, its that this new phone is going to be a lot better and I bet it will be much more on contract than the S5, therefore I would have had a far superior phone if I had just waited a while longer.

Given the choice I would have waited, I dont like being lied too either, this is why I have a problem, thought more people would fee the same way, obviously not.

ho hum

Reactions: louie875

bungadudu

Feb 8, 2012
for me the s5 was a hesitant buy, it was a fairly decent upgrade on the S3 but not the S4, I had an S3. However I was still on the fence as there were rumours that the prime would follow. I then decided to wait but shortly after Samsung's CEO stated categorically there would be no prime, so I bought the S5

No, my S5 wont suddenly loose its potency as soon as the S5 prime comes out, I wont even care the S5 is not the top phone anymore, its that this new phone is going to be a lot better and I bet it will be much more on contract than the S5, therefore I would have had a far superior phone if I had just waited a while longer.

Given the choice I would have waited, I dont like being lied too either, this is why I have a problem, thought more people would fee the same way, obviously not.

ho hum

You know that 6 months after the s5 prime, the new s6 will be launched, right?, a lot better.., and the cycle continues....... .......

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
What is the problem?

Its about providing the latest tech to customer at the earliest available time and tech war among them and apple.
So if s5 is not attractive for s4 owner, they can now buy the prime version. S3 owner already happy upgrading to s5.

Do u want samsung to delay s5 to july waiting for the better tech in Q2/Q3 2014? Or htc/sony delay m8/z2 waiting for the same? S5/m8/z2 is using the latest tech available to mass produced on Q1 2014. Why complain?

Sent from GT-I9500
This! And months later a new phone exceeding the Prime will come out, and months after that another Prime (or whatever they'll call it) and the cycle continues till kingdom come lol. Doesn't bother me if they release a Prime version at all.

sameer1807

Dec 7, 2011
Some leaks suggested that it might come in limited quantities so it may just be a korean availability..just like last year with the LTE-A version of the s4..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
This is the exact reason I dislike sony

Same... I really hate as a customer the 6 month release cycle.

But as someone else mentioned technology moves so fast that it's the only way that your latest flagship remains competitive to the rest of the latest offerings from other companies.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

neurodave

Mar 14, 2011
I highly doubt that Samsung would make such a stupid move. To release a flagship device one month and then release ANOTHER flagship device which would essentially supersede the S5 2-3 months later would be utterly stupid. I am personally not a fan of the Galaxy line to begin with, I simply got one recently because I got temporarily bored of the iPhone 5S I had and wanted something new to hold me up until the iPhone 6 comes out, but I know a lot of my customers (I work for T-Mobile) will come to me on a daily basis wondering what in the world is going on. No, the S5 won't just magically become outdated hardware that doesn't work, but to a lot of people it will be a slap in face because a lot of these said people want the "latest and greatest" not the "latest and greatest....last week."

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
the flagship phone (S) model has, up until now had a 12 month release cycle with a couple of minor exceptions with slight differences in versions, not six as some of you have stated here, I'm not including the note Range here, I've never wanted one.

I honestly couldn't care less how often they release phones, the more the merrier, I just don't want to be lied to, I simply would not have bought this phone had Samsung remained silent about the rumours.

This is the first time a company has outright lied about a release date in order to ensure their current phones sell, this for me is a step too far. If they had remained silent I wouldn't have bought it, I would have waited to see if the rumours panned out.

Obviously this is all assuming Samsung do release the Prime, there will be a lot of egg on a lot of faces if it turns out just to be the note 4 or something else.

zero66

Nov 4, 2013
This could be other manufacturers spreading the rumor also to get Samsung owners mad at Samsung.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

CLARiiON

Apr 10, 2013
Do nothing. None of it will do anything, trust me. Don't waste your time.

:good::good:

Finally, some sense in the forums.

Here's Samsung's reply in advance to all those who want to start a revolution.
best-film-quote-ever2xjkm4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WizeGuyDezignz

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Do nothing. None of it will do anything, trust me. Don't waste your time

Remember the Galaxy Round? It was a bent N3 at a 35% price premium. A "better" more expensive SGS5 takes nothing away from the version anyone's using. Name one mobile device maker that announces in advance a new device while they are still trying to sell current ones? People find out by rumor and leaked stats which is what started this thread. What grounds would anyone here go after Samsung for? Failure to maintain flagship status? If the new device is stylish and metal I'd imagine there will be more happy that Samsung's finally offering a premium option than those pissed their current phone's been upstaged. Personally, I have no interest in a metal phone for durability reasons; better yet paying a premium for it. To each their own. ;)

Reactions: WizeGuyDezignz

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
Remember the Galaxy Round? It was a bent N3 at a 35% price premium. A "better" more expensive SGS5 takes nothing away from the version anyone's using. Name one mobile device maker that announces in advance a new device while they are still trying to sell current ones? People find out by rumor and leaked stats which is what started this thread. What grounds would anyone here go after Samsung for? Failure to maintain flagship status? If the new device is stylish and metal I'd imagine there will be more happy that Samsung's finally offering a premium option than those pissed their current phone's been upstaged. Personally, I have no interest in a metal phone for durability reasons; better yet paying a premium for it. To each their own. ;)

Dont get me wrong, the S5 is great, I am very happy with it, i'm not up for a metal case either, however given the option i'd have waited and taken the QHD screen and 805 cpu, the issue here, if the Prime is released is that we were lied to, mislead into buying the S5 when there was a better model just around the corner. This is unacceptable behaviour in my opinion, its not that a new phone is coming out, its that they lied about it to protect their sales.

Perhaps its a sign of the times that so many people think this is ok, normal even, getting shafted appears now to be the norm.

da.trute

Jul 22, 2011
You know the same happened with the
S3, I9305 - got an upgrade to I9306
S4, I9505 - got an upgrade to I9506
and in a few months..
S5, G900 will get an upgrade to G906

This doesnt mean that the original version is junk, it's still great, but the technology is advancing so fast that for a flagship to hold true to its name (best of what that company can offer), it must be upgraded more often.

For example, Sony's official policy is to bring a new flagship every 6 months.

This is how things go.

You just enjoy your s5 and quit thinking about this. It's a great phone, and will remain that for this year at least!

Those were tweaks, not upgrades really, small CPU / RAM speed / size hikes, the prime has a next gen CPU/GFX and a QHD screen, not the same at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dont get me wrong, the S5 is great, I am very happy with it, i'm not up for a metal case either, however given the option i'd have waited and taken the QHD screen and 805 cpu, the issue here, if the Prime is released is that we were lied to, mislead into buying the S5 when there was a better model just around the corner. This is unacceptable behaviour in my opinion, its not that a new phone is coming out, its that they lied about it to protect their sales.

Perhaps its a sign of the times that so many people think this is ok, normal even, getting shafted appears now to be the norm.

I realized after I posted that I've actually just gone through something similar. I was one of the first to buy the N10.1-14 in October of last year. You'd think with 2014 in its name it would stay fresh for a while. Samsung announced the Pro-line of tablets in January, two months later with 4.4 and features the N10.1-14 didn't have. Like some in this thread, I wasn't thrilled. It turns out it's a good thing the N10.1-14 isn't a "Pro." Magazine UX consumes a ton of resources and half the features shown at its unveiling at CES were neutered when it became official. It also doesn't support Samsung Hub. Now that the N10.1-14's on 4.4 it's actually faster and cleaner than the Pro's (M-UX has to have at least one home page).

A QHD display on a mobile device is ridiculous. The lowest common denominator isn't PPI; it's what the human eye is capable of resolving. QHD mobile devices and 4K TV's are pretty comical based on the distances they are typically viewed at. But to sell "new" higher margin TVs and get people to continue buying high-end mobile devices both are going to be drummed in to our heads as "have to have" by those with gazillion dollar marketing budgets that want us to buy them.

This explains visual acuity and is from a display test of the iP4 when it was introduced...
    “Retina Display” is a great marketing name, and it’s the sharpest smartphone display available, 23 percent sharper than the nearest competitor, but objectively it does not meet the quantitative criteria for being a true Retina Display – it’s about a factor of two lower than the acuity of the human Retina. Rather, the iPhone 4 has a “20/20 Vision Display” because when it is held more than 10.5 inches away, a person with 20/20 Vision will not be able to resolve the iPhone 4 screen pixels, which are at 326 ppi (1 arc-minute resolution). But 20/20 Vision is the legal definition of “Normal Vision,” which is at the lower end of true normal vision. There are in fact lots of people with much better than 20/20 Vision, and for most people visual acuity is limited by blurring from the lens in the eye. The best human vision is about 20/10 Vision, twice as good as 20/20 Vision, and that is what corresponds to the acuity of the Retina. So to be a “True Retina Display” a screen needs about 652 ppi at 10.5 inches, or 572 ppi at 12 inches. Unfortunately, a “20/20 Vision Display” doesn’t sound anywhere near as enticing as a “Retina Display” so marketing and science don’t see eye-to-eye on this…​
    But the above only matters when viewing certain types of content. This was from a discussion of 720P vs. 1080P displays...
    Photos are inherently fuzzy, so it won’t matter whether they’re viewed on a 1920×1080 or 1280×720 smartphone display; you’ll still see their imperfections. "Even the tiniest image detail in a photograph is always spread over more than one pixel," Dr. Soneira explained in a follow-up e-mail. "The image detail is never perfectly aligned with the pixel structure of the display." Videos are even worse: not only are they fuzzy like photographs, but the pictures are constantly moving. Even if the images were sharp, the human brain couldn’t zero in on content that’s appearing for only a fraction of a second on such a small display. "For ordinary viewing of videos, 1920×1080 is really not going to make a visual difference," adds Dr. Soneira.

Where a 1080p smartphone display could really make an impact is with computer-generated content—that is, the user interface, buttons, and text. "Only computer-generated images make full use of the pixel resolution of the display," says Dr. Soneira. "For graphics and text, maybe you want that kind of sharpness." Like desktop computers, smartphone displays can also utilize sub-pixel rendering, which helps improve the visual sharpness of computer-generated graphics.

A 1080p display might also be useful for simply viewing 1920×1080 content and not worrying about scaling. "Every time you rescale content that’s scaled for some other resolution, it’s not going to look as good. So there’s an advantage to living with 1920×1080 even if your eye can’t appreciate the fine details, because you don’t have the rescaling artifacts," he says.
    If the SGS5 "Plus" ends up QHD/S-805 I'd be willing to bet anyone here the current SGS5 will outperform it. I know this because the 2,560x1,600 display on my N10.1-14 causes it to run a lot slower than equivalent N3's using the same processor. More PPI (essentially doubled in this case) will consume more battery and any benefit of the improved GPU will be consumed (and maybe then some) by the display's enormous PPI.

The grass isn't always greener. I know because I'm in marketing and get paid a lot of money to make y'all think it is. ;)

P.S. - With high-end smartphone sales slowing down Samsung's looking for opportunities to raise their margins. If you think $50-100 is ridiculous for a storage bump that costs Samsung $10 I think you'll be shocked by the price differential for the SGS5+. All just my guess/opinion of course. ;)
    Do nothing. None of it will do anything, trust me. Don't waste your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    What is the problem?

Sent from GT-I9500

Despite all the constructiveness in this thread, rallying against an OEM isn't allowed on xda. That said, there's already a discussion thread for the rumored high end Samsung phone here

Thread Closed