[Q] Overclocking but no Exploding

Search This thread

MaLing15

Jul 29, 2014
Hi XDA Community. I use Trinity Kernel by Morfic and i was wondering if it is okay to have an Overclocked Nexus 5 and use the phone at a regular basis like a normal stock clock Nexus. I don't want My phone to just randomly explode because of overclocking it. One of the features the kernel has as said at his/her XDA thread is "Up to 2726MHz (higher clocks will vary from device to device)". Is that frequency trustworthy when just using the phone normally or is that a benchmark frequency?

Reactions: galaxys

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Hi XDA Community. I use Trinity Kernel by Morfic and i was wondering if it is okay to have an Overclocked Nexus 5 and use the phone at a regular basis like a normal stock clock Nexus. I don't want My phone to just randomly explode because of overclocking it. One of the features the kernel has as said at his/her XDA thread is "Up to 2726MHz (higher clocks will vary from device to device)". Is that frequency trustworthy when just using the phone normally or is that a benchmark frequency?

Don't overclock that high. 2419MHz at most. Overclocking too high will cause more heat and throttle earlier, only useful for a short benchmark such as HWBot Prime or Quadrant (Antutu takes longer and will overheat by the time it finishes). Trinity also supports up to 3014MHz, OP hasn't been updated.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro

You don't want to push the phone too much I think the Nexus 5 runs at 2.3 GHz. 2.7 MAY not be too bad but honestly, the phone runs pretty smooth as is. What benefits are you looking for from overclocking?

MaLing15

Jul 29, 2014
Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge. You know.. To get the MOST out of the Phone while at the same time being Safe.

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
if you really wanted, the phone won't explode if you run it at 3015mhz either. the worst that will happen is that your phone won't be able to run that high, and will freeze and reboot.

and don't listen to all.. run your phone how YOU like. yes, it'll cause a little(not much) more heat, and will throttle a little earlier, but that's why people like me disable throttle, so that's a non issue. I run my phone at high CPU speeds all the time, and use 2880mhz high/300mhz low quite often. just because I feel like it, no other reason.

oh, I run trinity as well, and do all of Trinity's testing :)

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge. You know.. To get the MOST out of the Phone while at the same time being Safe.

It's just what @jsgraphicart said. You're not really getting more out of your phone by overclocking. It's not going to run smoother, and most games don't lag anyway so they probably won't run better. I think most people just do it for benchmarks or just to check if it can run on a certain clockspeed.

Also what @simms22 said. You can do it if you want to, but simply because you want to because as far as I know there aren't really any benefits.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Back in my Palm Pre days, we used to overclock that thing to 1GHz. The default setting was 500MHz. I think it was even pushed to 1.2GHz. And it ran fine. But back then, you could tell the difference between a little lag at 500MHz and smoothness at 1GHz. With this phone and how Android has gotten smoother with every update, it's kind of hard to see any difference when overclocking. It will be smooth regardless.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
As mentioned, overclocking the CPU can actually turn out to run slower because of aggressive thermal throttling. You could disable or extend the thermal throttling, but 2.3Ghz is already plenty fast for today's mobile software so you won't notice any difference in day to day usage.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
As mentioned, overclocking the CPU can actually turn out to run slower because of aggressive thermal throttling. You could disable or extend the thermal throttling, but 2.3Ghz is already plenty fast for today's mobile software so you won't notice any difference in day to day usage.

Even if you run your phone at 2880MHz/3014MHz/whatever with thermal throttle off, you can't really do anything too intensive as it'll hit 105C and shutoff lol

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Even if you run your phone at 2880MHz/3014MHz/whatever with thermal throttle off, you can't really do anything too intensive as it'll hit 105C and shutoff lol

actually, no, youre wrong. when you run your phone at 2880/300 or 3014/300, you phone will hardly scale up that high, sometimes it will. you wont see any real difference between those high cpu speeds and running it at 2265/300. and battery will be similar. the difference will be if you run it at 2880/2880 or 3014/3014. now i run my phone at 2880/300 very often, and you know i disable thermal throttle. yet, i see no difference in temperatures, except if im doing something thats very cpu intensive.

Last edited:

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
actually, no, youre wrong. when you run your phone at 2880/300 or 3014/300, you phone will hardly scale up that high, sometimes it will. you wont see any real difference between those high cpu speeds and running it at 2265/300. and battery will be similar. the difference will be if you run it at 2880/2880 or 3014/3014. now i run my phone at 2880/300 very often, and you know i disable thermal throttle. yet, i see no difference in temperatures, except if im doing something thats very cpu intensive.

Ah true. But still, a bit easier to hit it if doing something intensive :p Not to mention it may be a little unstable on some devices

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah true. But still, a bit easier to hit it if doing something intensive :p Not to mention it may be a little unstable on some devices

on some devices??? on most devices! anyways, stability is overrated ;)