[Q] Update problem

Search This thread

Terranatix

Feb 4, 2014
So, I have the i545-vruamdk S4 and I want to update the device to Jellybean 4.3. The device is not rooted. I cannot update OTA or through Kies. I have been told to unlock the bootloader, but I don't know how. I don't really want to root or anything of the sort. I do want 4.3, though. Nothing special, just the regular Jellybean 4.3. Can anyone help me?

Terri M

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas
So, I have the i545-vruamdk S4 and I want to update the device to Jellybean 4.3. The device is not rooted. I cannot update OTA or through Kies. I have been told to unlock the bootloader, but I don't know how. I don't really want to root or anything of the sort. I do want 4.3, though. Nothing special, just the regular Jellybean 4.3. Can anyone help me?

Have you thought about doing a factory reset, and then try taking the OTA? Once you factory reset, don't sign into your Google account, and as soon as you get to the main screen go to Settings > Account > Backup and reset. Then try taking the OTA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia

You have a GS4 that can have the bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery, custom kernel, and a custom ROM installed.
It's a pretty easy thing to install a 4.3 ROM onto your phone without losing those unique features. There's lots of us that are stuck with bootloader locked phones that would be happy to swap with you.

If you refuse to root it to install a 4.3 ROM, then you're killing 100 puppies and 100 kittens. Just take the OTA, destroy the unique value of your phone. Sad..

Did I mention that having a MDK phone is valued? :)

Terranatix

Feb 4, 2014
Have you thought about doing a factory reset, and then try taking the OTA? Once you factory reset, don't sign into your Google account, and as soon as you get to the main screen go to Settings > Account > Backup and reset. Then try taking the OTA.

How will doing a factory reset enable the OTA to work? It doesn't work now and I haven't done much but download some apps and chat up some people. Thanks for helping in advance

You have a GS4 that can have the bootloader unlocked and a custom recovery, custom kernel, and a custom ROM installed.
It's a pretty easy thing to install a 4.3 ROM onto your phone without losing those unique features. There's lots of us that are stuck with bootloader locked phones that would be happy to swap with you.

If you refuse to root it to install a 4.3 ROM, then you're killing 100 puppies and 100 kittens. Just take the OTA, destroy the unique value of your phone. Sad..

Did I mention that having a MDK phone is valued? :)

Lmao I didn't know all this. Does taking the OTA mean that I cannot have all the customs I can now? Could you explain to me how I can install the rom, preferably without losing the features or the data currently on it?

Also, I bought this phone for less than the usual price. So how valued is it?

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
How will doing a factory reset enable the OTA to work? It doesn't work now and I haven't done much but download some apps and chat up some people. Thanks for helping in advance

Lmao I didn't know all this. Does taking the OTA mean that I cannot have all the customs I can now? Could you explain to me how I can install the rom, preferably without losing the features or the data currently on it?

The usual reason that OTAs won't take is that something has designated your phone as "Custom" status.
The other reason is that you don't have a standard phone - it's a developer edition.

Here's how to tell. Settings/More/About Phone. What's in the "Build number"? If it's OYUAMDK (hope I remembered that right), it's a developer edition phone. You won't get OTA offers since Verizon doesn't build updates for that device. Put that on Swappa saying that it's a developer edition and you'll easily get several hundred bucks for it.

If it's a VRUEMDK (again, from memory - what's important is that the build number starts with "V"), then it's a normal phone.
What does Settings/More/About phone/Status say in "Device Status"? You won't be offered OTAs unless it's "Official".

Reactions: Terranatix

xXKa0sRa1nsXx

Jan 8, 2014
Pleasanton
This is odd, but try this:

Make sure all your stuff is backed up with your Google account. Anything on your SD-Card (external) will not be touched. Turn your phone off.
Then:
- Hold the Power + Volume Up button until your screen turns on
- Even if the logo bot logo doesn't immediately come up, release the Power Button (Still holding Volume Up)
- The top Left of the Boot logo should say "Recovery Booting..."
- Once the Recovery boots and you see options, use the Volume Keys and scroll to 'Data/Factory Reset' and Press the Power Button to confirm
- Click 'Yes', and then once that's finished Click 'Wipe Cache Partition' and Click 'Yes...'
- Click 'Reboot'
- The phone could take up to 5 -10 minutes to boot, please be patient.
- Once it boots, skip through the setup, you can add everything later.
-Immediately Go into Settings and attempt to Update it (OTA first, then try this again but use Kies).

If that doesn't work, let me know. :D

****USE THE STOCK CABLE WHEN CONNECTING TO YOUR PC, AS I HAVE HAD ISSUES (INCLUDING YOURS) USING 3RD PARTY CABLES!!! ALSO TRY THE USB PORTS IN BACK
OF YOUR PC IN THE EVENT THE FRONT PORTS ARE PLUGGED IN THROUGH AUX USB PORTS (USB DRIVER ISSUES)****

Last edited:

Terranatix

Feb 4, 2014
The usual reason that OTAs won't take is that something has designated your phone as "Custom" status.
The other reason is that you don't have a standard phone - it's a developer edition.

Here's how to tell. Settings/More/About Phone. What's in the "Build number"? If it's OYUAMDK (hope I remembered that right), it's a developer edition phone. You won't get OTA offers since Verizon doesn't build updates for that device. Put that on Swappa saying that it's a developer edition and you'll easily get several hundred bucks for it.

If it's a VRUEMDK (again, from memory - what's important is that the build number starts with "V"), then it's a normal phone.
What does Settings/More/About phone/Status say in "Device Status"? You won't be offered OTAs unless it's "Official".

Device Status does say "Official" and the last seven letters to my build number are VRUAMDK. I have not done anything to customize the phone aside from a launcher, so I don't think my phone can be designated as custom..

Terranatix

Feb 4, 2014
Make sure all your stuff is backed up with your Google account. Anything on your SD-Card (external) will not be touched. Turn your phone off.
Then:
- Even if the logo bot logo doesn't immediately come up, release the Power Button (Still holding Volume Up)
- Once the Recovery boots and you see options, use the Volume Keys and scroll to 'Data/Factory Reset' and Press the Power Button to confirm
- Click 'Yes', and then once that's finished Click 'Wipe Cache Partition' and Click 'Yes...'
- Click 'Reboot'
-Immediately Go into Settings and attempt to Update it (OTA first, then try this again but use Kies).

I'll try all this; however, Google does not back everything up if, right? Any better application I can use to back up?

tech_head

I'll try all this; however, Google does not back everything up if, right? Any better application I can use to back up?

Do not do a KIES on this phone!!!!!!

No wipe -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2301259
This will aloow you to use ODIN to get your phone back to stock without a FDR.
Look for MDK.

Once you do that, then do
Root for MDK -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798

Then follow the thread further down to install TWRP and then not only can you go to 4.3 but you can go to a Kit KAt 4.4 ROM.

Whatever you do don't kill a MDK phone.
I'd be happy to trade a fully stock MK2 phone that can be unrooted if you like with a glass screen protector, box and factory charger.
It is black.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Then:
- Click 'Reboot'

****USE THE STOCK CABLE WHEN CONNECTING TO YOUR PC, AS I HAVE HAD ISSUES (INCLUDING YOURS) USING 3RD PARTY CABLES!!! ALSO TRY THE USB PORTS IN BACK
OF YOUR PC IN THE EVENT THE FRONT PORTS ARE PLUGGED IN THROUGH AUX USB PORTS (USB DRIVER ISSUES)****

Please don't give this kind of advice to someone that has an MDK ROM phone.
As a noob you probably have no idea about KNOX and how locked the bootloader is after moving from a MDK ROM.
This is bad advice.

Reactions: Terranatix

Terranatix

Feb 4, 2014

Look for MDK.

Then follow the thread further down to install TWRP and then not only can you go to 4.3 but you can go to a Kit KAt 4.4 ROM.

I'd be happy to trade a fully stock MK2 phone that can be unrooted if you like with a glass screen protector, box and factory charger.
It is black.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

As a noob you probably have no idea about KNOX and how locked the bootloader is after moving from a MDK ROM.
This is bad advice.

With do not do a Kies, do you mean backup? I'll consider the root and flash ****, since it seems like there is no other way to get to 4.3; let a friend help me with that tomorrow. I'll let y'all know how that goes.

Damn, is this MDK phone **** really that good? I thought I had a crappy s4 tbh

tech_head

Kies is software that runs on your computer. The other user was suggesting Kies as a method to get to OTA 4.3. A bad idea with a MDK phone. Right now you have a phone that almost anyone on this forum would buy. Don't diminish the value by making it like all the other phones with a locked down bootloader.

sokrboot

Aug 17, 2010
www.oldtimersclan.com
Please send me your white 32 gig S4 on MDK. I will upgrade it for you and when you get it back it will be a black 16 gig S4 on MK2! LOL. :p j/k

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xXKa0sRa1nsXx

Jan 8, 2014
Pleasanton
this post was made by accident...

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Look for MDK.

It is black.

This is bad advice.

Actually, I Know all about KNOX and I'm not a noob. He said nothing was custom and he was trying to update his phone, so i'm assuming he doesn't want to root. I'm on build MK2 rooted running HyperDrive ROM 13.0.0, so he can still use a bootstrap recovery, Disable KNOX w/o Tripping the KNOX Warranty Counter and install custom files and run a good custom ROM that offers a custom kernel even.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Look for MDK.

It is black.

Then:
    - Click 'Reboot'

This is bad advice.