[Q] Lost GPS recognition with 4.4.4 AOSP Official Google Edition

Search This thread

technique00

Jun 3, 2013
Hey Guys,

Recently flashed 4.4.4 AOSP Official Google Edition with towelroot from a factory rooted MDK GS4. Everything working extremely smooth but can not get any device GPS recognition. I don't even know how to trouble shoot the issue. Can someone please advise?

Thanks a lot

technique00

Jun 3, 2013
Restore a nandroid of a tw rom, get a GPS lock, restore nandroid of the aosp rom in the same place and try to get gps to lock

Thanks.
Have you had this issue yourself?
Do you know why this happened on upgrade?
Is a CWM backup sufficient?
Is there another related thread you can refer me to.

thanks a lot

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Thanks.

thanks a lot
Yes, this is the most common problem with aosp on this device. It is recommended you get a lock on a tw rom before flashing aosp. Once you get that lock once on the aosp rom though, you should never have a problem again. CWM backup is sufficient but i should let you k ow most devs recommend TWRP at this point for our device, it is the most updated.

This is the best method to get a gps lock that works for everybody. A Google search will yield you endless threads on this problem.

Reactions: technique00

technique00

Jun 3, 2013
Yes, this is the most common problem with aosp on this device. It is recommended you get a lock on a tw rom before flashing aosp. Once you get that lock once on the aosp rom though, you should never have a problem again. CWM backup is sufficient but i should let you k ow most devs recommend TWRP at this point for our device, it is the most updated.

This is the best method to get a gps lock that works for everybody. A Google search will yield you endless threads on this problem.

Much appreciated. For the avoidance of doubt, when you say, "Get a lock" it would suffice to go into google maps with location settings on device only and confirm that it recognizes my location/direction, yes? I cant imagine i hadn't used maps with navigation on TW prior to flashing AOSP. Why would this work now if thats all i have to do? Thanks

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Much appreciated. For the avoidance of doubt, when you say, "Get a lock" it would suffice to go into google maps with location settings on device only and confirm that it recognizes my location/direction, yes? I cant imagine i hadn't used maps with navigation on TW prior to flashing AOSP. Why would this work now if thats all i have to do? Thanks
Yeah open maps and make sure it locks you location on device only.

As to why this works? Good luck finding the answer to that question lol no one really understands it but it works. Some respectable devs suspect it's metadata in the system partition, no the "/system" folder ,but the actual partition that takes up ~7gbs of your internal storage that you can't touch.

Reactions: technique00

technique00

Jun 3, 2013

As to why this works? Good luck finding the answer to that question lol no one really understands it but it works. Some respectable devs suspect it's metadata in the system partition, no the "/system" folder ,but the actual partition that takes up ~7gbs of your internal storage that you can't touch.

Okay. Will do as you advise and follow up. Really appreciate the quick feedback regardless, even if this doesn't work.

Reactions: joshm.1219

technique00

Jun 3, 2013
This worked Thank you very much. Strange though getting only 14/21 satellites max on AOSP vs up to 20 on TW in same location. Nevertheless I am getting a lock now on AOSP so unless anyone knows how to obtain additional satellites or enhance device GPS here i'm quite satisfied. Thank you.

Reactions: joshm.1219

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Restore a nandroid of a tw rom, get a GPS lock, restore nandroid of the aosp rom in the same place and try to get gps to lock
    Thanks.

thanks a lot

Okay. Will do as you advise and follow up. Really appreciate the quick feedback regardless, even if this doesn't work.
    This worked Thank you very much. Strange though getting only 14/21 satellites max on AOSP vs up to 20 on TW in same location. Nevertheless I am getting a lock now on AOSP so unless anyone knows how to obtain additional satellites or enhance device GPS here i'm quite satisfied. Thank you.