Want to upgrade to the note 2 and keep unlimited data (Without adding a line)

Search This thread

i3oost

Jan 11, 2013
Alright three days ago I upgraded to the galaxy note 2 from the 3g samsung fasinate and I found a little loophole while activating the phone that let me keep my unlimited data.

Alright so first off my upgrade was filed through bestbuy.com I recieved my phone very fast (2days). When I recieved my phone you get everything you need to activate it your self including the 4g sim card so no need to go to a vzw store. So everthing is pretty straight forward like activating any phone on the website. Start off at your account page follow the steps for activation. Until you get to the select a new plan page in which it will say "your new device is not compatable with your current data plan" now from this you will see the current selected data plan is your unlimited. At this step without selecting any of the other data plan options (2gb 4gb and so on) just hit the select/continue option and finsh the rest of the on screen instructions. At the end of the activation you will see "congratulations your new device is activated" and a basic summary of the changes to your plan. For me the removal of 3g and the addtion of 4g.

Well I hope some of you can benefit from this....

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Another loophole is to transfer your upgrade to a dumphone (assuming you have a dumbphone on your account), upgrade that line to a GN2, keeping unlimited on your other lines and adding a tiered plan to this line, activate, deactivate and put the flip phone back on which will cancel the tiered data plan again leaving your other lines untouched, move the GN2 to the line of your choice. You may potentially receive a months data on your next bill. Call 611 and explain the situation and you'll be credited back for the month (minus a day) on your next bill.

I've done it twice now. Enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

billku

Jun 9, 2011
Another loophole is to transfer your upgrade to a dumphone (assuming you have a dumbphone on your account), upgrade that line to a GN2, keeping unlimited on your other lines and adding a tiered plan to this line, activate, deactivate and put the flip phone back on which will cancel the tiered data plan again leaving your other lines untouched, move the GN2 to the line of your choice. You may potentially receive a months data on your next bill. Call 611 and explain the situation and you'll be credited back for the month (minus a day) on your next bill.

Mind if I ask a question -- after you've done that, on which line does the new two-year commitment go? The dumb line or the line with the transferred note 2? Also, how much do you pay per month for the dumb line? Thanks...

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Mind if I ask a question -- after you've done that, on which line does the new two-year commitment go? The dumb line or the line with the transferred note 2? Also, how much do you pay per month for the dumb line? Thanks...

I'm guessing to the line where the upgrade originated (smart phone). It now has the longest upgrade availability date under My Verizon.

I have 700 minutes w/ unlimited texts. Each smart phone (except the first one) has unlimited data ($30) and $10 add on. Dumb phone is just a $10 add on.

billku

Jun 9, 2011
I'm guessing to the line where the upgrade originated (smart phone). It now has the longest upgrade availability date under My Verizon.

I have 700 minutes w/ unlimited texts. Each smart phone (except the first one) has unlimited data ($30) and $10 add on. Dumb phone is just a $10 add on.

Thanks so much! Will try this next month to get an iPhone 5 for my wife (can't keep her on the Android bandwagon, darn it... :rolleyes:)

AcE XBOX

Feb 5, 2008

This was the trick I used to use, but according to my coworkers this stopped working. Now it supposedly gets switched automatically to a 2gb plan. I was told this last week.

Sooner or later Verizon will catch on and fix these loopholes.

billku

Jun 9, 2011
This was the trick I used to use, but according to my coworkers this stopped working. Now it supposedly gets switched automatically to a 2gb plan. I was told this last week.

Sooner or later Verizon will catch on and fix these loopholes.

Crap. Can anyone else confirm this no longer works?

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I did it over the phone when the i5's first released and a few weeks ago for the GN2. Ask a rep, worst they can say is no. But ask 2 or 3 more before giving up until you find one that understands what you're trying to do and has done it before.

billku

Jun 9, 2011
The upgrade I plan to transfer to my dumb phone doesn't come up until end of the month, I will pray you guys are right and it's still working then...

LvnInOC

Aug 8, 2010
Huntington Beach
Crap. Can anyone else confirm this no longer works?

I just received my Note2 yesterday and had ordered it by calling and was told specifically I would not lose my unlimited data as I have a dummy line I used for upgrading . I have yet to activate it as I have a GNex on my unlimited line now. But I will activate tomorrow when I can actually call and speak to someone and switdh the upgrade to my unlimited data line and keep the non smart phone thats on the dummy line as it is and not have to have a tiered plan for the extra line, Basically its my sons line who doesnt need a smart phone and I used his upgrade, done it before on two other lines for my daughters lines in the past without losing my unlimited. If I get a different response tomorrow when I call to do the switch and activation I have two options I can do- 1- return the note to them and stay with my GNEX unlimited plan. Option 2 would be to tell Verizon to go &%^themselves and not return their note2 and good luck getting any early term fees and go somewhere else . All depends on them!! I hear TMob will be offering a $250 mail in rebate on the Note2 next month bringing the cost to only $49 plus fees with contract-? and unlimited as well.

billku

Jun 9, 2011
I just received my Note2 yesterday and had ordered it by calling and was told specifically I would not lose my unlimited data as I have a dummy line I used for upgrading . I have yet to activate it as I have a GNex on my unlimited line now. But I will activate tomorrow when I can actually call and speak to someone and switdh the upgrade to my unlimited data line and keep the non smart phone thats on the dummy line as it is and not have to have a tiered plan for the extra line, Basically its my sons line who doesnt need a smart phone and I used his upgrade, done it before on two other lines for my daughters lines in the past without losing my unlimited. If I get a different response tomorrow when I call to do the switch and activation I have two options I can do- 1- return the note to them and stay with my GNEX unlimited plan. Option 2 would be to tell Verizon to go &%^themselves and not return their note2 and good luck getting any early term fees and go somewhere else . All depends on them!! I hear TMob will be offering a $250 mail in rebate on the Note2 next month bringing the cost to only $49 plus fees with contract-? and unlimited as well.

Will you post and let us know how it goes? Thanks so much!

LvnInOC

Aug 8, 2010
Huntington Beach
Will you post and let us know how it goes? Thanks so much!

For sure I will. I have done this before recently and didn't have a problem. I have 5 lines in all for my family and used one for wife's new phone, But if Verizon wants to keep screwing their long time customers (15+ years) with the bogus share everything crap, I will not have any issues screwing back! For sure ill post back tomorrow after.

billku

Jun 9, 2011
For sure I will ll. I have done this before recently and didn't have a problem. I have 5 lines in all for my family and used one for wife's new phone, But if Verizon wants to keep screwing their long time customers (15+ years) with the bogus share everything crap, I will not have any issues screwing back! For sure ill post back tomorrow after.

Looking forward to it, thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: LvnInOC

homerunbm33

Nov 10, 2011
Maryland
I used a dummy phone to keep my unlimited on Jan 2nd with no problems. I have a friend who works for Verizon and he makes sure everything goes smoothly.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought my note 2 in a VZW store outright. If you use a lot of data the phone will pay for its self.

For sure I will ll. I have done this before recently and didn't have a problem. I have 5 lines in all for my family and used one for wife's new phone, But if Verizon wants to keep screwing their long time customers (15+ years) with the bogus share everything crap, I will not have any issues screwing back! For sure ill post back tomorrow after.

Looking forward to it, thanks so much for your help!
    have fun with your Galaxy Note 2,....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
    I just laughed out loud. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Well i just checked my account and a new cycle has started and i still have unlimited data.