Google Wallet 'Error adding card'

Search This thread

WhiterThanWhite

Nov 6, 2011
I was one of the first people to install Google Wallet on their Nexus. I live in London, but at the time, Wallet worked perfectly. I purchased McDonald's food on two separate occasions using the free $10 from Google. This was all on ITL14F firmware.

I then decided to reflash my firmware, so that I could cleanly update to ITL14D via OTA. After this, I tried flashing the Google Wallet zip with CWM again. Everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to re-add my Google Prepaid card. Ever since, I simply get 'error adding card' when trying to add the Google prepaid card. This happens even if I flash back to ITL14F or update to 4.0.2 using the clean APK.

There seems to be at least one other person on XDA with this problem. Is there a solution? It's possible that it's now a hardware issue, and that perhaps Google have blocked my phone's IMEI/NFC chip - I've tried adding cards with two different Google accounts, but I get the same error. But it's difficult to confirm this, since Google's customer services have always sucked so hard. Wallet still shows the cross-border $0.02 fees for the purchases, but not the actual purchases like it used to.

WhiterThanWhite

Nov 6, 2011
I just checked my Google account settings and under my Android devices I noticed that "com.android.nfc3" is backed up by Google on my Nexus. Could this be the issue?

I have a nandroid backup of my system prior to first installing Google Wallet on ITL14F. Could I extract 'com.android.nfc3' and put it into my current firmware?

polo045

Mar 25, 2010
That's right. Heard it isn't supposed to work over there yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

fugugaipan

Sep 9, 2010
Victoria
I was one of the first people to install Google Wallet on their Nexus. I live in London, but at the time, Wallet worked perfectly. I purchased McDonald's food on two separate occasions using the free $10 from Google. This was all on ITL14F firmware.

I then decided to reflash my firmware, so that I could cleanly update to ITL14D via OTA. After this, I tried flashing the Google Wallet zip with CWM again. Everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to re-add my Google Prepaid card. Ever since, I simply get 'error adding card' when trying to add the Google prepaid card. This happens even if I flash back to ITL14F or update to 4.0.2 using the clean APK.

There seems to be at least one other person on XDA with this problem. Is there a solution? It's possible that it's now a hardware issue, and that perhaps Google have blocked my phone's IMEI/NFC chip - I've tried adding cards with two different Google accounts, but I get the same error. But it's difficult to confirm this, since Google's customer services have always sucked so hard. Wallet still shows the cross-border $0.02 fees for the purchases, but not the actual purchases like it used to.

I have the same problem. I've flashed back to other ROMs and tried pre TI restore and post. Done it through with ME set to TMobile and connected through WiFi on my US IP router. I'm thinking about trying to add a Prepayed MC to see if that will work.

Might toss in my TMobile Sim at some point as well to see if that helps.

Last edited:

chandlerweb

May 12, 2010
So what is the score with Google Wallet app use in the UK? I know its not supported on the nexus anywhere in the world and the app is not supported in the uk on any phone but what i really want to know is...
1) can you add funds to the prepaid card?
2) where can you use it?
3) Is there likely to be a permanent problem with the phones getting blacklisted if indeed that is whats happening with people who can no longer get the app to work.

Currently i have it running using the market enabler and apk method but have since read reports of some secure chip outside the control of the os which may be preventing people using the app. I dont want to find out that once GW is officially supported on the GN in the UK that i can no longer use it. I was also hoping to flash some roms but sounds like that might be dodgy too.

SMikulski49

Dec 5, 2007
Google Walltet Problem

Well I added my google wallter applicated on my phone yesterday. I set it up, I added google prepaird card, I got the 10 dollars on it and then that evening I unlocked my phone which wiped everything of my phone. I re-installed the application and when I go to add the google prepaid card, it says error adding card.
Is there anyway to fix this?

shakejuhn

Jul 12, 2011
same issue

i am having the same issue i installed via the flash method and used it at a local walgreens went through then it forced closed. i flash a new rom tried to add card again it would hand on adding card. i uninstalled reflashed back to stock and tried it with the app that requires no flash still the same thing. i even tried with a new google account and still the same thing. And i live in usa with cdma nexus

emmur0

Aug 31, 2010
Well I added my google wallter applicated on my phone yesterday. I set it up, I added google prepaird card, I got the 10 dollars on it and then that evening I unlocked my phone which wiped everything of my phone. I re-installed the application and when I go to add the google prepaid card, it says error adding card.
Is there anyway to fix this?

This happened to me as well. I haven't found a fix yet. Please update if you find a fix.

shakejuhn

Jul 12, 2011
i think i figured it out i was having the same problem i did the steps in the adb shell to remove it but did not re-add it. then returned back to stock(4.0.1), locked bootloader. unlocked boot loader booted up 4.0.1 updated to 4.0.2 then i unlocked boot loader rooted and added wallet.apk from post on here it hung on adding card for about 5 mins the next time i check it was working again. google wallet looks like it will not work on non stock roms. any questions pm me

droid_does

Apr 21, 2011
i think i figured it out i was having the same problem i did the steps in the adb shell to remove it but did not re-add it. then returned back to stock(4.0.1), locked bootloader. unlocked boot loader booted up 4.0.1 updated to 4.0.2 then i unlocked boot loader rooted and added wallet.apk from post on here it hung on adding card for about 5 mins the next time i check it was working again. google wallet looks like it will not work on non stock roms. any questions pm me

so you think wallet doesn't work on non stock ROMs?

inline6power

Mar 15, 2010
same boat. wallet was working fine. updated radios which updated the bootloader to. changed roms. went to install wallet again. activation went fine. went to add google prepaid card and said error adding card, please try back later. sure hope there is a fix to this.

soyko

Oct 16, 2010
Same here.

Luckily it hasn't locked me out of NFC yet.

I called and talked to two people so far over at Citi. They tried to reset it on their end or something, not really sure.

I was told to reset in the app via the menu in wallet and I've done that multiple times and nothing has happened. They told me they would get in contact with the same person whom I talked to the first time and they'll contact Phil. So I'll give an update when I hear something.

inline6power

Mar 15, 2010
Same here.

Luckily it hasn't locked me out of NFC yet.

I called and talked to two people so far over at Citi. They tried to reset it on their end or something, not really sure.

I was told to reset in the app via the menu in wallet and I've done that multiple times and nothing has happened. They told me they would get in contact with the same person whom I talked to the first time and they'll contact Phil. So I'll give an update when I hear something.

yeah i dont have a citi card so i need the google card and i add my money to that card from another account but it will not let me add a google card now. so i am stuck with a working google wallet without a working card lol.

inline6power

Mar 15, 2010
so is there a fix for this? I can't add a Google card and i have no citi card so I am sol right now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

soyko

Oct 16, 2010
Are you guys rooted?

I was on the phone with Citi last night and she told me that Google's servers were telling Citi that it's an insecure device so it won't work. So she told me to try and unrooting it and putting it back to stock to see if it works. Oddly I did that and it hasn't worked yet.

Not at least no NFC errors yet.