Noob question mdk

Search This thread

SO_dank

Jul 23, 2011
So I used to run the charge which I flashed Like crazy.. When I got the s4 I was on the original firmware read all I could and flashed Bonestock and left it alone. Now with all the new firmwares out my 4.2.2 is looking stale. What would be the best mdk rom to run now. Im confused with all the safestrap roms ect.. Could someone point me in the right direction with rom selection and flashing steps.. Also should I odin mdk to start fresh or just clear and flash. ..ohh im using twrp for recovery. . Thanks in just over whelmed with all the roms and different flashing procedures.

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
So I used to run the charge which I flashed Like crazy.. When I got the s4 I was on the original firmware read all I could and flashed Bonestock and left it alone. Now with all the new firmwares out my 4.2.2 is looking stale. What would be the best mdk rom to run now. Im confused with all the safestrap roms ect.. Could someone point me in the right direction with rom selection and flashing steps.. Also should I odin mdk to start fresh or just clear and flash. ..ohh im using twrp for recovery. . Thanks in just over whelmed with all the roms and different flashing procedures.
My recommendation as far as ROMs go is Eclipse Progressive Build 7. Everyone has an opinion, but I think it is the most staple and smooth ROM out there for the S4. Every function / detail works, great on battery and updated routinely by the Developer. There is an Eclipse ROM on this Forum, but that is not the ROM I recommend. The Eclipse version I am referring to can only be downloaded from the Developer's site. If you're MDK you won't need SafeStrap to flash it. Go here for the ROM: http://www.elementalxdesigns.com/ec...-Loki-amp-Safestrap-Progress-Build07-(1-28-14).

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I recommend liquid smooth 4.4 if you rather aosp. Been running it for a while now and it's great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SO_dank

Jul 23, 2011
So if I'm reading right TW keeps everything ex.. camera..rf and is more stable. . Aosp is just cooler and more configurable??

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
So if I'm reading right TW keeps everything ex.. camera..rf and is more stable. . Aosp is just cooler and more configurable??
I've run a number of AOSP ROMs, there are some good ones out there. Although from my experience the TW ROMs run smoother with less lag / hesitation...and everything works. I've heard a number of other S4 users report the same thing. It's not that the other ROMs don't run, they just don't seem to run as smooth and some of them have at least one or two things that don't work "just right".

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I've run a number of AOSP ROMs, there are some good ones out there. Although from my experience the TW ROMs run smoother with less lag / hesitation...and everything works. I've heard a number of other S4 users report the same thing. It's not that the other ROMs don't run, they just don't seem to run as smooth and some of them have at least one or two things that don't work "just right".

I mostly agree with you there. Usually TW will be more stable depending on what the Dev has added or removed.

However lately on my Sprint S4 AOSP has treated me better. Particularly Liquid Smooth ( I know I should just be a LS spokesman )

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
I mostly agree with you there. Usually TW will be more stable depending on what the Dev has added or removed.

However lately on my Sprint S4 AOSP has treated me better. Particularly Liquid Smooth ( I know I should just be a LS spokesman )

I have to admit that I haven't run anything but Eclipse for the past four or five months so I'm a little "behind" on the latest AOSP ROMs. I totally understand about your preference for Liquid Smooth, I find myself feeling exactly the same way about Eclipse, LOL.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
I have to admit that I haven't run anything but Eclipse for the past four or five months so I'm a little "behind" on the latest AOSP ROMs. I totally understand about your preference for Liquid Smooth, I find myself feeling exactly the same way about Eclipse, LOL.

Lol
Well I have flashed I'd have to say just about every AOSP ROM for our phone and in my opinion... None have as many options, useful ones too. It runs great on ART too. So if u have that flashing itch and have an MDK build with custom recovery definitely check it out!

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
Lol
Well I have flashed I'd have to say just about every AOSP ROM for our phone and in my opinion... None have as many options, useful ones too. It runs great on ART too. So if u have that flashing itch and have an MDK build with custom recovery definitely check it out!

Thanks for the recommendation, I may just do that. I have a Dev Edition so I have MDK. I've never tried ART so I guess I have two things to try. Thanks.

Reactions: Mistertac

SO_dank

Jul 23, 2011
Uhh ohh im so behind what is art???
Would ineed a camera app or does it function on aosp?? Im reading people having phone functions not work.
Ok and one last question.. im on bone stock the original... if I wanted to try aosp l.s. am I correct here..
Odin back to mdk
Root..recovery
Flash rom??
Or would a good old cleat cavh davlik suffice?? Sorry is been a long time

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Uhh ohh im so behind what is art???
Would ineed a camera app or does it function on aosp?? Im reading people having phone functions not work.
Ok and one last question.. im on bone stock the original... if I wanted to try aosp l.s. am I correct here..
Odin back to mdk
Root..recovery
Flash rom??
Or would a good old cleat cavh davlik suffice?? Sorry is been a long time

Check this out on ART
http://www.infinum.co/the-capsized-...ntroducing-the-new-android-runtime-in-kit-kat

And if your on mdk with a custom recovery already just download liquid+gapps and wipe everything in recovery and flash away. Make a backup first of course.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

If you don't have a recovery yet... Just flash one no need to Odin back. Assuming you're rooted as well

SO_dank

Jul 23, 2011
Ohh nice can't wait to try art out. ..

Gapps.. google apps??
Where to get this in apk?? And I am guessing I need it prior to flashing rom..

Im sorry you must understand that when I was roming on my last phone everything was Odin.. everything.. The only thing flashed was say a clock mod

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Ohh nice can't wait to try art out. ..

Gapps.. google apps??
Where to get this in apk?? And I am guessing I need it prior to flashing rom..

Im sorry you must understand that when I was roming on my last phone everything was Odin.. everything.. The only thing flashed was say a clock mod

There's a link in the main Liquid Smooth thread that get you to the Gapps . they're PA Gapps and many options with descriptions of each. Find liquid in our forum, Go to the OP and you'll see.
And no problem let me know if you need more help

jpcalhoun

Feb 24, 2012
South Central PA
There's a link in the main Liquid Smooth thread that get you to the Gapps . they're PA Gapps and many options with descriptions of each. Find liquid in our forum, Go to the OP and you'll see.
And no problem let me know if you need more help

You're right, you should be a spokesman for Liquid Smooth, LOL.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Lol

Lol

Thanks for the recommendation, I may just do that. I have a Dev Edition so I have MDK. I've never tried ART so I guess I have two things to try. Thanks.
    Lol hey I'm just a super supporter. I have no desire at all to flash anything else now.

Lol hey I'm just a super supporter. I have no desire at all to flash anything else now.

Yes, you are a great supporter. Good to see users willing to help new users get the most out of our phones and helping them along the way. We all started out as Noobs.