Nexus 5 screen size, real estate, and battery

Search This thread

dhinged

May 5, 2011
The Nexus 5 looks and runs great, but everything's so big I feel like I'm using a toy phone. The PPI really would have made more sense on a 4.5/4.7" screen (or even a 4" screen for us small-handed), and for a budget phone I would have expected 720p (pixels) resolution. This would use less battery which would require less battery so it could have kept about the same thinness (but I'm perfectly happy adding thickness and heft for more battery).

I don't understand Google's thinking behind this phone. It's a great-quality phone, but it's just too big for the things on the screen. They look great about 10 inches away but normal distance from my face, about 7", everything just looks oversized. I feel like at this screen size they could have added another column or row to the launcher and had them match up to the bottom dock shortcuts.

I know how to change the PPI, but I would just more like to know what made Google decide to go with such huge icons and fonts on such a large screen with full HD (1080p) resolution and not add any more real estate to things like Chrome or Settings or anything.

Reactions: thesebastian

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
The Nexus 5 looks and runs great, but everything's so big I feel like I'm using a toy phone. The PPI really would have made more sense on a 4.5/4.7" screen (or even a 4" screen for us small-handed), and for a budget phone I would have expected 720p (pixels) resolution. This would use less battery which would require less battery so it could have kept about the same thinness (but I'm perfectly happy adding thickness and heft for more battery).

I don't understand Google's thinking behind this phone. It's a great-quality phone, but it's just too big for the things on the screen. They look great about 10 inches away but normal distance from my face, about 7", everything just looks oversized. I feel like at this screen size they could have added another column or row to the launcher and had them match up to the bottom dock shortcuts.

I know how to change the PPI, but I would just more like to know what made Google decide to go with such huge icons and fonts on such a large screen with full HD (1080p) resolution and not add any more real estate to things like Chrome or Settings or anything.

You don't change the PPI, you change the density lol :p

The Nexus 5 isn't really meant to be as much of a "budget phone" as it is a "developer device" (officially for AOSP, and unofficially on here) or "reference device for other OEMs", hence why it has a 1080p display and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800. It just happens to be cheaper as they also cut some corners (and probably to make it burn a smaller hole in developer's wallets).

Anyways, nothing looks "oversized" without changing the density. Most (if not, then all) Android devices have the density set relative to the resolution (NOT physical screen size nor pixels per inch) as well as what sort of device it is (phone or tablet). It's a standard, not "whatever the OEM wants", if an OEM wants something to appear smaller or larger in their bloated system apps, they're going to modify the app itself, not change the density (which affects ALL apps rather than just the intended). I also have a Note 3 (which I never use and just gathers dust), it's the same resolution but much larger, and the stock density on that is also set to 480 (same as the Nexus 5). I also know that the HTC One (M8) and OnePlus One are also set to 480. Just about ANY Android phone with a 1080p display uses 480 (stock, at least), I don't know of one that doesn't.

Last edited:

teonagode

Jun 9, 2012
Ajdovscina

Nova Launcher is the solution ;)

Reactions: grim489

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
I liked more the Galaxy Nexus size. Based on my experience "width" is what matters for one-handed phones.

However....5" is not bad. The only f***** thing here is the resolution. 1080p is a waste for a simple 5" screen.
It must be something slightly bigger than 720 without jumping to 1080.

Sent from my Nexus 5

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I liked more the Galaxy Nexus size. Based on my experience "width" is what matters for one-handed phones.

However....5" is not bad. The only f***** thing here is the resolution. 1080p is a waste for a simple 5" screen.

Sent from my Nexus 5

1080 isn't a waste at all. Its HD. If it makes sense on a 32" TV several feet away, it makes sense on a 5".screen several inches away. Its called "viewing distance".

Choosing some arbitrary resolution between 720 and 1080 is a silly idea. These resolutions are a global standard and media content is created to these standards. Choosing something win between would mean no content was optimised for our display so something would be lost in the downscaling or upscaling.

1080p is perfect for the distance you view it. If you sit 1 metre away from a 50" 1080p TV, it won't look HD. It will look lower blocky. That is because the pixels are literally bigger than a 32" TV of the same resolution. Its designed to be viewed from further away. As you move the TV further away, the image gets clearer as the pixels appear smaller.

All PPI is about is measuring the amount of pixels in an inch. This is a fixed value. A 1080 screen always has the same amount of pixels. This means the pixels are bigger on a bigger screen, so the PPI decreases. The smaller the PPI is, the further away you would expect to view it from.

1080p on a 5" screen would be ridiculous if the device was intended to be used at over 1 metre away though. Because that is beyond the optimum viewing distance. It would mean that the image again lost detail.

I think 2k and 4k on this size screen is over kill. But that's not because of these reasons. We would definitely notice a sharper image on the display. The problem is that there is a massive performance hit. The GPU works harder meaning its slower than it would be on a lower resolution. It uses battery because of this.since there is very little content, its not a worthwhile trade off at this time.

That said though, visually it would look better. The screen may need to be 6" to really get the benefit though. Otherwise the PPI would be too high for the viewing distance and your need to move the display closer than the screen closer than the usual distance to get the full effect

DPI is something entirely different. That's what causes the assets on screen (buttons, icons etc) to appear bigger or smaller.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Yeah I know all that. Just saying...1080 is a waste for a 5". A waste of GPU and resources.

We don't really need more than 330ppi on a Phone....

Sent from my Nexus 5

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Yeah I know all that. Just saying...1080 is a waste for a 5". A waste of GPU and resources.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Your first sentence directly contradicts your last sentence. If you understood optimal viewing distances you would know that we do need a higher PPI. Why should we be restricted to lower quality videos on a mobile phone?

Yes,it uses more resources to play higher resolution content. But its not a waste because a majority of content is at that resolution

Reactions: Elluel

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Well at the distance I use the phone 330ppi is optimal!

I think 330 is ok for phones. Look at the iPhones they've a good screen without having 400+ PPI.

Sent from my Nexus 5

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

I think 330 is ok for phones. Look at the iPhones they've a good screen without having 400+ PPI.

I can see you're still a bit confused about your argument. PPI is not the unit of measure you should be using. It does nothing to tell us resolution OR screensize so as a number on it's own is entirely useless.

PPI is just a result of resolution and screen size
PPI = width squared + length squared, divided by the square root of screen size.

Optimal viewing distance is about resolution and screen size. The bigger a screen, the further away it needs to be for the resolution to be correct. You can't say "330ppi is optimal" because that's not how it works. You can have 2 completely different resolutions with the same PPI.

For example, on a 5" screen, 720x1500 would be 330 PPI.
Similarly, on a 10" screen, 1500x2950 would be 330 PPI.

The optimal viewing distance of both these example screens is completely different so to say that 330PPI is optimal for a distance is wholly wrong. You cannot use PPI as a valid unit of measure unless you first specify a screen size. There is no such thing as optimal viewing distance for a PPI.

Optimal viewing distance is about resolution and screen size. If you stick to 1 resolution (lets use 1080p as the obvious example), the optimal viewing distance of a 5" screen is less than the optimal viewing distance of a 10" screen. This is because the pixels are bigger on the 10" screen. if you compare an image on a 10" screen to an image of a 5" screen at the same resolution AND distance, and at the opwholeytimal viewing distance of the 5" screen, the 4" image will be crisp and share where as the 10" image will be blocky. You have to increase the viewing distance of the 10" screen to get the same crisp image.
wholey
You can practice this yourself. Put a 1080p movie on your Phone and TV. Watch the movie on your phone at 5" from your face. Watch teh movie on the TV at the same distance. Forget the fact you cannot see the entire screen. Focus on the centre of the screen. You will be able to pick out individual pixels and the section of the screen you are looking at will not appear as a single image. Just a series of blocks. The bigger your TV, the more noticeable this will be.

To get a 330 PPI value on a 4.95" screen like the nexus 5, and maintain 16:9 aspect ratio, you'd be looking at 1450x816 resolution. There are ways to work out optimal viewing distances, but it's quite complex. If you're interested, you can find that information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

d1f8529e7b700e54e6e7412e26c2690a.png

VD: Viewing distance
DS: Display's diagonal size
NHR: Display's native horizontal resolution (in pixels)
NVR: Display's native vertical resolution (in pixels)
CVR: Vertical resolution of the video being displayed (in pixels)

The optimal viewing distance for a screen the size of a nexus 5 is 7.2 inches (0.6 foot) - which is about what we hold it at.*

*based on:
http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/tv-screen-size-calculator/
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Now I suppose when we get up to 2k and 4k, there will be a problem. At that distance, the human eye may fail to recognise a difference between 1080p and higher resolutions. To get benefit, the screen would need to be bigger and further away...although some say for those holding the screen right up close to their face, characters will look better

All that said, I can recognise a difference between 720p and 1080p at that distance. So yeah, 1080p is about for a screen our size. Or also for a tablet, which typically would use ant a slightly further way distance than a phone.

So really, it all depends on your eyesight or how short your arms are. If you hold the phone too close to your face, 1080p is not optimal on a 5" screen. You would probably want a smaller screen or a higher resolution, otherwise it may appear blocky. At the appropriate distance for a mobile phone, anything over 1080p may be pointless but bringing it closer may prove beneficial, but that could cause eye strain as you're focusing too close.

There is a really useful chart here

200ppdengleski.png

In summary:

If you hold your phone further than the optimal distance, you may get away with losing some resolution as the further away it is, the less you'll notice. OR you need a bigger screen to make it the optimal viewing distance for that resolution
If you hold your phone closer than the optimal distance, you could need to get a higher resolution OR a smaller screen

Like TV's, you should buy the size or resolution based on your fixed viewing distance. For a TV, its the resolution standard of 1080p (because most of our content is that resolution) then you look at the distance your sofa is from the TV stand and buy the correct size. Assuming you need the same resolution for content on your phone, you look at the distance and buy the appropriate screen size. People who hold their phones closer will want a smaller screen for 1080. People who hold them further away will want a bigger screen at that resolution. This trend will continue as content resolution increases, but this cannot go on forever.

Last edited:

thesebastian

Sep 25, 2012
Barcelona
Yeah sorry, when i said "phone" i was meant aproximately 5"... Not 4" or 6" or much more.

I was trying to say that I prefer a 5" screen with 720p than a 5" screen with 1080p. Regardless of the lose of quality.

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Yeah sorry, when i said "phone" i was meant aproximately 5"... Not 4" or 6" or much more.

Ok no worries.

As I say, it depends on how good your eyes are and how far away you hold your phone. 1080 is about right for a 5" screen if you have 20/20 vision and hold your phone an average distance from your face, so the 1080p resolution is the average for our phone.

I was trying to say that I prefer a 5" screen with 720p than a 5" screen with 1080p. Regardless of the lose of quality.

So then this probably means that you hold your phone a little further away than average... and if you do that's fine. It just means that you're outside the bounds of what a Nexus 5 is catered for, which is the masses (average)

EDIT > I'm like you though, but with 1080. 1080 is great for me with a 5" screen. A higher resolution at that size would be almost pointless for me as I would need to hold it closer, so to get a 2k phone, I would need a bigger screen size as holding it closer isn't really an option.

Last edited:

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
EDIT > I'm like you though, but with 1080. 1080 is great for me with a 5" screen. A higher resolution at that size would be almost pointless for me as I would need to hold it closer, so to get a 2k phone, I would need a bigger screen size as holding it closer isn't really an option.
Just thought I'd say I agree with you lol :p 1080p is enough on a phone, for most. On a tablet however, higher than 1080p would be pretty nice if the specifications support it decently.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Just thought I'd say I agree with you lol :p 1080p is enough on a phone, for most. On a tablet however, higher than 1080p would be pretty nice if the specifications support it decently.

Yeah. I also forgot to say that bigger than a 5" screen is also not an option for me as I cant reach everywhere one handed. So I cannot increase screen size and I cannot ergonomically reduce viewing distance, so I am stuck at 1080. With a tablet, one-handed operation wouldn't be a restriction, so I could increase screen size. My viewing distance would be largely the same, so the 1080p resolution could get blocky with a bigger screen if I don't increase the resolution.

Not sure what the next gen of phones I buy will offer. I'm possibly willing to go up to 5.5". BUT I don't think that increase in size would warrant an increase in resolution for me. So if OEM's start to make 2k the standard, I'm going to have a problem.

Reactions: Elluel

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Yeah. I also forgot to say that bigger than a 5" screen is also not an option for me as I cant reach everywhere one handed. So I cannot increase screen size and I cannot ergonomically reduce viewing distance, so I am stuck at 1080. With a tablet, one-handed operation wouldn't be a restriction, so I could increase screen size. My viewing distance would be largely the same, so the 1080p resolution could get blocky with a bigger screen if I don't increase the resolution.

Not sure what the next gen of phones I buy will offer. I'm possibly willing to go up to 5.5". BUT I don't think that increase in size would warrant an increase in resolution for me. So if OEM's start to make 2k the standard, I'm going to have a problem.

The Nexus 5's 4.95" and 1080p already feels perfect.. I have a Note 3 and never use it since I hate the size (and not to mention being a Samsung product). I have a feeling that if newer devices are going to be larger, I'll be sticking with my Nexus 5 for a little longer.

ali262883

Jun 18, 2013
India, Mumbai
The Nexus 5's 4.95" and 1080p already feels perfect.. I have a Note 3 and never use it since I hate the size (and not to mention being a Samsung product). I have a feeling that if newer devices are going to be larger, I'll be sticking with my Nexus 5 for a little longer.
True that.. Note 2/3 have attractive amoled screens, but when it comes to an actual professional pure crisp and sharp screen nexus 5 is damm good.. Extremely sharp and natural colors

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
True that.. Note 2/3 have attractive amoled screens, but when it comes to an actual professional pure crisp and sharp screen nexus 5 is damm good.. Extremely sharp and natural colors
AMOLED.. Personally I think they're ugh. Mostly people who do nothing but Facebook/etc on their silly Samsung devices (aka the majority) say its better, but colour reproduction means nothing to them. Lol. I love the Nexus 5's screen.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
AMOLED.. Personally I think they're ugh. Mostly people who do nothing but Facebook/etc on their silly Samsung devices (aka the majority) say its better, but colour reproduction means nothing to them. Lol. I love the Nexus 5's screen.

Its a compromise. LCD is better colour reproduction but then Amoled have individual pixel lighting, meaning pure black saves energy and also can be used as a night clock without the entire backlight panel lighting up the room.

2 ways to address this.

1) Colour profiles for AMOLED.
2) LED backlighting like TV's for LCD

ali262883

Jun 18, 2013
India, Mumbai
I love my lcd screen more than my friend's s4 amoled screen [emoji14].. Its colorful but not as sharp as that of nexus 5.. And whites are completely dead..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I can see you're still a bit confused about your argument. PPI is not the unit of measure you should be using. It does nothing to tell us resolution OR screensize so as a number on it's own is entirely useless.

PPI is just a result of resolution and screen size
    PPI = width squared + length squared, divided by the square root of screen size.

Optimal viewing distance is about resolution and screen size. The bigger a screen, the further away it needs to be for the resolution to be correct. You can't say "330ppi is optimal" because that's not how it works. You can have 2 completely different resolutions with the same PPI.

For example, on a 5" screen, 720x1500 would be 330 PPI.
    Similarly, on a 10" screen, 1500x2950 would be 330 PPI.

The optimal viewing distance of both these example screens is completely different so to say that 330PPI is optimal for a distance is wholly wrong. You cannot use PPI as a valid unit of measure unless you first specify a screen size. There is no such thing as optimal viewing distance for a PPI.

Optimal viewing distance is about resolution and screen size. If you stick to 1 resolution (lets use 1080p as the obvious example), the optimal viewing distance of a 5" screen is less than the optimal viewing distance of a 10" screen. This is because the pixels are bigger on the 10" screen. if you compare an image on a 10" screen to an image of a 5" screen at the same resolution AND distance, and at the opwholeytimal viewing distance of the 5" screen, the 4" image will be crisp and share where as the 10" image will be blocky. You have to increase the viewing distance of the 10" screen to get the same crisp image.
    wholey
    You can practice this yourself. Put a 1080p movie on your Phone and TV. Watch the movie on your phone at 5" from your face. Watch teh movie on the TV at the same distance. Forget the fact you cannot see the entire screen. Focus on the centre of the screen. You will be able to pick out individual pixels and the section of the screen you are looking at will not appear as a single image. Just a series of blocks. The bigger your TV, the more noticeable this will be.

To get a 330 PPI value on a 4.95" screen like the nexus 5, and maintain 16:9 aspect ratio, you'd be looking at 1450x816 resolution. There are ways to work out optimal viewing distances, but it's quite complex. If you're interested, you can find that information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

d1f8529e7b700e54e6e7412e26c2690a.png

VD: Viewing distance
    DS: Display's diagonal size
    NHR: Display's native horizontal resolution (in pixels)
    NVR: Display's native vertical resolution (in pixels)
    CVR: Vertical resolution of the video being displayed (in pixels)

The optimal viewing distance for a screen the size of a nexus 5 is 7.2 inches (0.6 foot) - which is about what we hold it at.*

*based on:
    http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/tv-screen-size-calculator/
    http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Now I suppose when we get up to 2k and 4k, there will be a problem. At that distance, the human eye may fail to recognise a difference between 1080p and higher resolutions. To get benefit, the screen would need to be bigger and further away...although some say for those holding the screen right up close to their face, characters will look better

All that said, I can recognise a difference between 720p and 1080p at that distance. So yeah, 1080p is about for a screen our size. Or also for a tablet, which typically would use ant a slightly further way distance than a phone.

So really, it all depends on your eyesight or how short your arms are. If you hold the phone too close to your face, 1080p is not optimal on a 5" screen. You would probably want a smaller screen or a higher resolution, otherwise it may appear blocky. At the appropriate distance for a mobile phone, anything over 1080p may be pointless but bringing it closer may prove beneficial, but that could cause eye strain as you're focusing too close.

There is a really useful chart here

200ppdengleski.png

In summary:

If you hold your phone further than the optimal distance, you may get away with losing some resolution as the further away it is, the less you'll notice. OR you need a bigger screen to make it the optimal viewing distance for that resolution
    If you hold your phone closer than the optimal distance, you could need to get a higher resolution OR a smaller screen

Like TV's, you should buy the size or resolution based on your fixed viewing distance. For a TV, its the resolution standard of 1080p (because most of our content is that resolution) then you look at the distance your sofa is from the TV stand and buy the correct size. Assuming you need the same resolution for content on your phone, you look at the distance and buy the appropriate screen size. People who hold their phones closer will want a smaller screen for 1080. People who hold them further away will want a bigger screen at that resolution. This trend will continue as content resolution increases, but this cannot go on forever.

Sent from my Nexus 5

1080 isn't a waste at all. Its HD. If it makes sense on a 32" TV several feet away, it makes sense on a 5".screen several inches away. Its called "viewing distance".

Choosing some arbitrary resolution between 720 and 1080 is a silly idea. These resolutions are a global standard and media content is created to these standards. Choosing something win between would mean no content was optimised for our display so something would be lost in the downscaling or upscaling.

1080p is perfect for the distance you view it. If you sit 1 metre away from a 50" 1080p TV, it won't look HD. It will look lower blocky. That is because the pixels are literally bigger than a 32" TV of the same resolution. Its designed to be viewed from further away. As you move the TV further away, the image gets clearer as the pixels appear smaller.

All PPI is about is measuring the amount of pixels in an inch. This is a fixed value. A 1080 screen always has the same amount of pixels. This means the pixels are bigger on a bigger screen, so the PPI decreases. The smaller the PPI is, the further away you would expect to view it from.

1080p on a 5" screen would be ridiculous if the device was intended to be used at over 1 metre away though. Because that is beyond the optimum viewing distance. It would mean that the image again lost detail.

I think 2k and 4k on this size screen is over kill. But that's not because of these reasons. We would definitely notice a sharper image on the display. The problem is that there is a massive performance hit. The GPU works harder meaning its slower than it would be on a lower resolution. It uses battery because of this.since there is very little content, its not a worthwhile trade off at this time.

That said though, visually it would look better. The screen may need to be 6" to really get the benefit though. Otherwise the PPI would be too high for the viewing distance and your need to move the display closer than the screen closer than the usual distance to get the full effect

DPI is something entirely different. That's what causes the assets on screen (buttons, icons etc) to appear bigger or smaller.

Nova Launcher is the solution ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5

Your first sentence directly contradicts your last sentence. If you understood optimal viewing distances you would know that we do need a higher PPI. Why should we be restricted to lower quality videos on a mobile phone?

Yes,it uses more resources to play higher resolution content. But its not a waste because a majority of content is at that resolution