Possible fix for unexplained Play Services drain since last update

Search This thread

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Settings > Storage > cached data. Clear it and reboot.

Went from 5% drain with 45mins awake time, back to not registering as a drain with minimal awake time.

Let me know if it works for you.

Edit: The Google Play service was called ApiService in Settings>Apps>Running and hasn't returned.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• xFem3Pw.jpg
    xFem3Pw.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:
Reactions: Rufufu

TiltedAz

Oct 19, 2007

Went from 5% drain with 45mins awake time, back to not registering as a drain with minimal awake time.

Had a strange one last night with a Google+ linked website asking me to log in. I was already logged in to Google+. Meanwhile the little white LED blinked all night. Battery showed Google Services gobbled up 60% of the charge.

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
I have it updated, no drain, didn't do anything special apart from already having Google Play Services' location Services disabled in the "Disable Service" app.

ghalib87

Jan 16, 2014

If you have a rooted phone use greenify and greenify donation package

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
I have it updated, no drain, didn't do anything special apart from already having Google Play Services' location Services disabled in the "Disable Service" app.

You might not realize it's there if you have other Google Play Services being used. Overall it drained about 3%-5% of my battery with 30-40mins of awake time.

The service was called ApiService under one of the Google Play Services found in Settings > Apps > Running. Since doing this it hasn't come back. Also clearing this data cache doesn't cause you to lose any settings.

Updating the original post with a screen shot.

Last edited:

Rufufu

Jun 11, 2012
It worked for me !

I think clearing cache will be a new thing to do when I will have issues in the future. I lost this habit when I decided to stay stock!

Reactions: bblzd

baySF

It worked for me !

I think clearing cache will be a new thing to do when I will have issues in the future. I lost this habit when I decided to stay stock!

Tried to clear the cached and it did get rid of the api services, but I still have the other play services running all the time. The pictures show the three services and the services inside the three main ones. I watched a 3 minute video on uTube and my battery went from 100 to 98 after.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-23.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 508
  • Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-33.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 477
  • Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-51.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-25-10-03-57.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 458

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Tried to clear the cached and it did get rid of the api services, but I still have the other play services running all the time. The pictures show the three services and the services inside the three main ones. I watched a 3 minute video on uTube and my battery went from 100 to 98 after.

Those will always be there even with Locations off. The ApiService is the unexplained drain, good to see it got rid of it for you also.

akash3656

May 3, 2010
My personal fix is to revert Google Search to 3.3.11.x

And then Google Play services stopped going haywire.

Also, turn Location Reporting off.

Letitride

Exchange Services seemed to be draining the battery - it usually doesn't show up when I look under Settings > Battery to see what's running, now that I got a few settings tweated related to Google Play Services and Android OS - down 20% in a few hours after a full charge isn't the "usual" for my usage pattern.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit: The Google Play service was called ApiService in Settings>Apps>Running and hasn't returned.

It worked for me !