[Q] I dont know which moto x to pick for straight talk

Search This thread
May 19, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about getting a moto x but I dont know which carrier version to pick.

I currently have a droid 4 on verizon and I'm looking to ditch verizon in favor of straight talk in june.
My issue is that they're having a sale on the moto maker site and I dont know weather to choose a Verizon one to use untill my plan stops or if I should get the T-Mobile or at&t version so it will work better with straight talk when the time comes to change.

Something to consider is that 1. T-Mobile has pretty spotty coverage in my area 2. I dont think the moto x can be activated as cdma for straight talk.
Some other questions I have are 1. will a T-Mobile version work just fine on at&t? 2. are there any reasons I should pick an at&t branded one? 3. Are there any reasons i shouldn't pick the verizon version?

thank you for your time

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Correct me on this if needed, but all Verizon phones are sim unlocked and work with GSM per FCC agreement. So you could get that version, but I would check it first when receiving it to see if it work with a GSM sim, if not you can get an RMA for a refund. The Verizon edition have the 3G bands to work with ATT, it lacks T-Mobile AWS 3G band (1700). Also it only support LTE band 13, it doesn't support LTE bands 2, 4 or 17 that come with the GSM unlocked version, so you will not get LTE on ATT or T-Mobile.

There is zero reason to get the ATT version what so ever, none, zilch. It's sim locked (though you could ask ATT to unlock it I guess), cannot unlock bootloader. The T-Mobile version is actually the unlocked version, it support every bands required by ATT, both 3G and LTE. T-Mobile version have unlocked sim and bootloader, doesn't have carrier logo nor carrier bloatwares.

Then there is the unlocked GSM Developer Edition which allow you to unlock bootloader without losing warranty, is similar to regular T-Mobile unlocked edition, except that it lacks T-Mobile AWS 3G band. You can get the Dev edition for Verizon as well which have the same bands support as the regular Verizon version. You can not unlock the bootloader for the regular version of ATT and Verizon.

sent via my Le Motonovo X

Last edited:
Reactions: mynamesucks100

coreno

Jul 16, 2009
Correct me on this if needed, but all Verizon phones are sim unlocked and work with GSM per FCC agreement. So you could get that version, but I would check it first when receiving it to see if it work with a GSM sim, if not you can get an RMA for a refund. The Verizon edition have the 3G bands to work with ATT, it lacks T-Mobile AWS 3G band (1700). Also it only support LTE band 13, it doesn't support LTE bands 2, 4 or 17 that come with the GSM unlocked version, so you will not get LTE on ATT or T-Mobile.

There is zero reason to get the ATT version what so ever, none, zilch. It's sim locked (though you could ask ATT to unlock it I guess), cannot unlock bootloader. The T-Mobile version is actually the unlocked version, it support every bands required by ATT, both 3G and LTE. T-Mobile version have unlocked sim and bootloader, doesn't have carrier logo nor carrier bloatwares.

Then there is the unlocked GSM Developer Edition which allow you to unlock bootloader without losing warranty, is similar to regular T-Mobile unlocked edition, except that it lacks T-Mobile AWS 3G band. You can get the Dev edition for Verizon as well which have the same bands support as the regular Verizon version. You can not unlock the bootloader for the regular version of ATT and Verizon.

So you're saying I could get the Verizon Dev Moto X, and theoretically toss a ATT SIM in it and it will work on ATT (3G-only)? Has anyone tried this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.