Verizon Bootloader Petition For The Samsung Galaxy S3 [Sign here]

Search This thread

Xerodark

Jul 15, 2012
Marana
I would sign this... but i cant do it from my phone. I totally support this though. I bought this phone today because an in store rep was telling me it had an unlocked bootloader. Stupid me for not doing the research first, right? I will be cancelling my service first thing in the morning over this, however. I feel "big red" lied to me, so the etf is totally worth it at this point. Ill try to sign this in the morning from my sisters tablet. I hope this works out, though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDiabolicaL1

TheDiabolicaL1

Nov 17, 2011
I would sign this... but i cant do it from my phone. I totally support this though. I bought this phone today because an in store rep was telling me it had an unlocked bootloader. Stupid me for not doing the research first, right? I will be cancelling my service first thing in the morning over this, however. I feel "big red" lied to me, so the etf is totally worth it at this point. Ill try to sign this in the morning from my sisters tablet. I hope this works out, though.

You make sure you mention his name when you cancel your account. The who, AND the why.

Good on you, too. Assholes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

AcE XBOX

Feb 5, 2008

No offense, but no one really give a fukk at Verizon. You MIGHT get lucky that a customer service rep might send out an email to the store manager but very unlikely. Best thing to do is talk to a supervisor and complain.

vzw rep here. petition signed.

noingwhat

Aug 3, 2012
Los Angeles

Actually, I believe you can sue them for false advertising because he told you the product would do something which it would not, and you bought it because of that. You should go in and ask for a full refund (and don't let them add on their bull**** "restocking fee") or threaten to sue.

Reactions: TheDiabolicaL1

TheDiabolicaL1

Nov 17, 2011
Actually, I believe you can sue them for false advertising because he told you the product would do something which it would not, and you bought it because of that. You should go in and ask for a full refund (and don't let them add on their bull**** "restocking fee") or threaten to sue.

ooohhhh.. I like where you went with that! Word! :good:

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Signed! This is why I love Tmobile and will not leave! They are Root Friendly! (at least for now)

Somebody didn't read the news last night or this morning lol. Enjoy T-mobile while the vzw gs3 is now fully unlocked. We certainly will enjoy our better coverage and LTE.

Sent from my SGS3 on Synergy Nightlies

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
Somebody didn't read the news last night or this morning lol. Enjoy T-mobile while the vzw gs3 is now fully unlocked. We certainly will enjoy our better coverage and LTE.

Sent from my SGS3 on Synergy Nightlies

Voting with your dollars against those who remove freedom from users is never a bad thing. Coverage and speed are subjective based on the area you live.

...but I stayed with the gs3 on Verizon, so I'm kind of a hypocrite.

P.S. All Verizon has to do relock or maybe even brick phones is to release one modem/pbl/sbl update that people want to flash (i.e. the true (unhacked) global roaming release they announced before launch).

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

This petition should remain active. They should hear our voices for the next locked phone release.

TheDiabolicaL1

Nov 17, 2011
Voting with your dollars against those who remove freedom from users is never a bad thing. Coverage and speed are subjective based on the area you live.

...but I stayed with the gs3 on Verizon, so I'm kind of a hypocrite.

P.S. All Verizon has to do relock or maybe even brick phones is to release one modem/pbl/sbl update that people want to flash (i.e. the true (unhacked) global roaming release they announced before launch).

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

This petition should remain active. They should hear our voices for the next locked phone release.

We hope everyone understood that they couldn't accept OTA updates anymore... wishful thinking though. That would imply these ****ers read ;)

Sent from my unlocked Galaxy S3! We win, Verizon!

mybook4

Apr 3, 2011
We hope everyone understood that they couldn't accept OTA updates anymore... wishful thinking though. That would imply these ****ers read ;)

Sent from my unlocked Galaxy S3! We win, Verizon!

Yes, absolutely no OTA updates should be accepted by those who unlock.

I was referring to the the fact that the aboot partition is later in the boot chain than the modem partition (part of the PBL). We currently have global roaming capabilities (requires some "hacking"). Before launch of the GS3, Verizon said they would be releasing an OTA update to add official support for global roaming. This will no doubt come in the form of an updated modem partition.

Since the modem is earlier in the chain of trust than aboot, with the modem release they may be able to change the required private key signature for subsequent boot chain partitions (along with resigned SBL1, SBL2, TZ, RPM, SBL3, and aboot partitions). In that case, our leaked engineering aboot partition would no longer enable unlock.

piiman

Jun 21, 2010
Yes, absolutely no OTA updates should be accepted by those who unlock.

I was referring to the the fact that the aboot partition is later in the boot chain than the modem partition (part of the PBL). We currently have global roaming capabilities (requires some "hacking"). Before launch of the GS3, Verizon said they would be releasing an OTA update to add official support for global roaming. This will no doubt come in the form of an updated modem partition.

Since the modem is earlier in the chain of trust than aboot, with the modem release they may be able to change the required private key signature for subsequent boot chain partitions (along with resigned SBL1, SBL2, TZ, RPM, SBL3, and aboot partitions). In that case, our leaked engineering aboot partition would no longer enable unlock.

There was a hint I. He thread that they have something else if Verizon relocks It.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    verizon-lock-540x438.jpg

Verizon's Bootloader is either Locked, encrypted etc... for the Samsung Galaxy S3

It may get unlocked Unofficially in the near future. Do not be satisfied wth this.

We need it Officially Unlocked by Verizon.

Here is a prime example of why we want it Official
    Hello guys.

I started contacting Engadget who will probably run a story about this Verizon-specific bootloader lock on Galaxy S III.

I want this bootloader change to be reverted, it's a huge mistake Verizon makes here.
    Also, clearly I suggest to anyone here returning their device, get your money back, switch of carrier if needed and buy something else instead.

If anyone is wondering, I won't publish any apps (like planned Display Expert) on this Verizon device because even if eventually an unlocking method or workaround is found, it's likely it will be broken by future firmwares updates.

It means there's a too high risk users or buyers of my root apps will be unable to use it at some point, being disappointed and frustrated, sorry pals.

And I got in the loop Anandtech as well. No promises but there will be coverage.

The only thing we can do at this point is protest this any way we can.

I am asking each and everyone of you on Verizon or any other Carrier to Sign below.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/verizon-bootloader-petition/

I am also asking that anyone with any access to news sites, Verizon on Twitter, Facebook, etc... or knows anyone that does... call them out. Blow up there Twitter accounts.

Anything you can do to help the cause

We need to do this on a massive scale and force them to Officially unlock the boot loader.

THE KEY IS BAD PRESS FOR VERIZON

Leave a comment below.

Thanks, Incubus

Here are some sites that have picked up the story already. Let me know when you find more.
    http://m.androidcentral.com/verizons-galaxy-s-iii-looks-have-protected-bootloader
    http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/0...d-about-the-bootloader-on-verizons-galaxy-s3/
    Where do I sign?
    I'm on Sprint but I want to help you guys on Verizon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
    haha the invisible petition. switch off verizon while your ahead. this will do as much good as the motorola one did. Verizon aint unlockin it, n u could take that to the bank
    Signed! You guys have my support...coming from At$t..
    Wait a second.... Am I on XDA? I had to check again to make sure i was not on BOB'S Discount Android ROM site. This will be hacked in a few days. Quit crying and tell your mom you changed your mind and want her to keep your line with verizon.