Sounds stopped playing

Search This thread

krisater

Feb 2, 2014
Hey guys, I have a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S III running on AOKP jb-mr2 4.3.1. As the title says, my phone can't play any sounds. This problem surfaced after I got home from a long day out. The only thing I can think of that would effect my phone's sound system would be the AUX cable that I connected my phone to my friend's car (my AUX cable has been known to play music unevenly, like playing music through one side of the car rather than both, but I've been able to work around that by messing with the position of the cable). The music played often with random spikes of static, but it was overall unnoticeable so I thought the static wasn't going to be a problem. Turned out to be a problem when I plugged in my headset - music would only play through the right of my headset and with static. My phone doesn't even play ringtones or notification sounds now. Was it possible that the AUX cable ruined my phone's sound? I want to know if there's a way I can fix it without having to clear all of my data and flashing again (if it's not a hardware problem - hopefully it isn't) because I depend on my phone as my alarm.

Also, I flashed Awesome Beats a while back, but it didn't work and kept crashing so I switched back to the stock musicfx. I'm pretty sure that Awesome Beats isn't what's causing problems with my sound because the problem appeared after the AUX cable incident, but I'm not an expert so maybe you guys can determine it for me.

Thanks in advance!

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
If your Volume levels are all up and yet there's no sound then reboot. If the problem still persists, wipe Dalvik + Cache.

If all that fails, suspect shorted Audio Jack and wipe completely and Odin Flash back to stock.

Reactions: krisater

krisater

Feb 2, 2014
If your Volume levels are all up and yet there's no sound then reboot. If the problem still persists, wipe Dalvik + Cache.

If all that fails, suspect shorted Audio Jack and wipe completely and Odin Flash back to stock.

Thanks for the reply. Can I just wipe and flash the AOKP rom from recovery or do I have to specifically use Odin and specifically flash the stock rom?

krisater

Feb 2, 2014
If you are trying to confirm shorted 3.5 mm jack then I'd go to Stock.

If it is shorted, will flashing to stock fix it? I'm assuming no :[

Edit: I've heard that downgrading from 4.3.1 to 4.1, or a lower version, results in bricking, but I can't seem to find a stock 4.3.1 Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 rom...

Last edited:

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I asked you to go to Back to Stock not to fix the problem, but to eliminate Rom and Kernel as potential suspects.

You will find Root66 of 4.3 in Root66 Thread or Docholiday's threads.

krisater

Feb 2, 2014
I asked you to go to Back to Stock not to fix the problem, but to eliminate Rom and Kernel as potential suspects.

Ahh, okay. I have a question. Will I need to have wiped everything on my phone in CWM recovery before I flash the stock firmware using Odin?

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
No. Odin Flash does that for you. If you want to be double sure, then go ahead.

krisater

Feb 2, 2014

Thank you very much, that solved my problem of no sound, but now sound only plays through the right of headphones. I know it's not my headphones because I've tried different working ones with my phone to no avail. Plus, my headphones work fine with my laptop. Is there a fix, or is it a hardware problem?

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I assume its the same MP3 that plays well on your laptop. In that case, I will say its hardware. Your 3.5 mm Audio jack is shorted. I had to get warranty replacement myself for that one.

krisater

Feb 2, 2014

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the reply. Can I just wipe and flash the AOKP rom from recovery or do I have to specifically use Odin and specifically flash the stock rom?
    If you are trying to confirm shorted 3.5 mm jack then I'd go to Stock.

I assume its the same MP3 that plays well on your laptop. In that case, I will say its hardware. Your 3.5 mm Audio jack is shorted. I had to get warranty replacement myself for that one.