VZW N3 KK - Radio Signal SUCKS!

Search This thread

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
Verizon Note 3
Purchased Brand New back in November

I've had zero signal issues phones entire life on 4.3 however since upgrading to K.K it's been awful like honestly terrible. I have areas in my house now where I have zero service period, never had that problem before. Also ongoing not a one night thing.

Happens on multiple KK based roms not just one example, also tried NC2, NC4 and now back on MJE radio and signal still sucks... is anyone else experiencing this? It was fine on 4.3 then out of the blue turned to crap

Also WiFi / Bluetooth have been flawless just cell radio in general sucks now, not just 4G either I barely get 3g anymore in areas and can't even send text messages

Last edited:

estan_0223

Dec 10, 2007
Same here

I have been dealing with the same thing. I can't ever remember having any issues with any Verizon device in the areas that I normally travel. Since taking the update, I run into problems everywhere. Almost to the point where I want to go to a different phone.

sdglenn

Jan 22, 2011
Verizon Note 3
Purchased Brand New back in November

I've had zero signal issues phones entire life on 4.3 however since upgrading to K.K it's been awful like honestly terrible. I have areas in my house now where I have zero service period, never had that problem before. Also ongoing not a one night thing.

Happens on multiple KK based roms not just one example, also tried NC2, NC4 and now back on MJE radio and signal still sucks... is anyone else experiencing this? It was fine on 4.3 then out of the blue turned to crap

Also WiFi / Bluetooth have been flawless just cell radio in general sucks now, not just 4G either I barely get 3g anymore in areas and can't even send text messages

I can't remember where I found it but there is a build prop edit to tweak the radios. I did it 3 months ago and it has stuck through the kk update to nc3. Try Google samsung galaxy note 3 radio tweak or poor signal. Sorry I can't remember.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Jaytronics

Go to this site. Download all of the radios. But I am going to say that the MJE radio will be the one that will give you back your consistent connection. You will need Odin. If you end up having any difficult time downloading any of the items off this address. I could send you everything via drive or what not. Just hit me up in a PM. I just have to figure out how to turn on PM notifications. Otherwise I will forget to check if I have any. Any way, hope this works for you. Also, to the person that posted the idea about there being some kind of tweak to the build prop, try to find that link and post it here. Reason being is that the newer radios enable the newest higher frequency bands. And allows for greater speeds. But, obviously they suck. So if I could get the newer radio and make the phone get better signal and not drop network. Than I would rather do that. As I am sure others here would as well. And assuming those others have Root on their devices. Any way, I am just rambling on. I'm off to bed. I have to go to work soon and then get home so as can drop the sub frame on my car to replace my rear motor mount.

Sent from my SM-N900V

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Forgot to post the link.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...ngrade-your-verizon-note-3-s-modem-radio.html

Sent from my SM-N900V

Last edited:

texaswickedtoys

Dec 4, 2010
Go to this site. Download all of the radios. But I am going to say that the MJE radio will be the one that will give you back your consistent connection. You will need mobile Odin. If you end up having any difficult time downloading any of the items off this address. I could send you everything via drive or what not. Just hit me up in a PM. I just have to figure out how to turn on PM notifications. Otherwise I will forget to check if I have any. Any way, hope this works for you. Also, to the person that posted the idea about there being some kind of tweak to the build prop, try to find that link and post it here. Reason being is that the newer radios enable the newest higher frequency bands. And allows for greater speeds. But, obviously they suck. So if I could get the newer radio and make the phone get better signal and not drop network. Than I would rather do that. As I am sure others here woukd as well. And assuming those others have Root on their devices. Any way, I am just rambling on. I'm off to bed. I have to go to work soon and then get home so as can drop the sub frame on my car to replace my rear motor mount.

Sent from my SM-N900V

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Forgot to post the link.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...ngrade-your-verizon-note-3-s-modem-radio.html

Sent from my SM-N900V
were you able to get mobile odin to work I have it and says device not supported or found I let it make a dump and still nothing

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jaytronics

were you able to get mobile odin to work I have it and says device not supported or found I let it make a dump and still nothing

I apologize for this. But I misspoke when I said Mobile Odin. It is actually just supposed to be Odin for the PC. I typed it when I was going to bed. I must have been out of it.

Sent from my SM-N900V

jackass3860

Apr 18, 2011
Same exact problem. I can have 2 bars signal. Hit send for a call and watch the bars go to zero then doesn't even connect.

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
I've been on the MJE radio. You can find the MJE modem tar in the Verizon Note 3 Android Development section, the post is by BeansTown106.

Regardless of what people say about modems and signal, etc.. NC2 and NC4 were subpar for me. MJE is stable and I get excellent signal and data speeds.

underd86

Jul 26, 2009
Yes my signal is awful even with mje radio on 4.4.2 as well. time to roll back. Its like I'm on sprint network.....

bossei

Oct 31, 2007
I'm in the same boat and it's very frustrating I just got off a call with verizon and they wanted to put me through all of this bs to troubleshoot and reset my phone so I said no thanks and got off the phone.

thunderbread

May 30, 2011
Orlando
I've had the same issue. I'm currently on JasmineROM1.5
Here's what I did and it fixed the issue for me. Go to Settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. Mine said Global. Change it to what I have in the pic. Reboot. Mine is good to go now.
utusapeq.jpg

changt34x

Sep 1, 2013
I have noticed a difference between how KitKat and Jelly Bean handle radios. In 4.3, the phone would quickly get a mobile data connection (i.e. working data, as shown by the solid white 1X/3G/4G symbol in the status bar) on any network type and even at very low signals. Since KitKat, the phone does not want to connect to data on 3G as much or 1X most of the time. It will just stay there with the connection type grayed out (indicating no data) even though the signal could be 3 bars.

As I had only upgraded to NC2, the phone is back on MJE and will likely remain there unless what is after KK doesn't break more stuff (like VPN, which is still broken on Samsung devices). After rolling back to MJE I can confirm that radio performance is equally bad (or good) as before I updated to KK.

The GF is using my Note 3 and works in a very low signal area (flips between an unusable 1 bar of 3G, 1-2 bars of 1X, and no signal). Other devices like Moto phones and the 5S get 1 bar of LTE there or 3 bars of 3G, and there are people even tethering away. She can't call, send/receive texts, or do anything else so it is useless at work.

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
Hey guys thank you for all the replys and I will definitely take a look at the responses more in depth when I have a moment.

Just some things I've noticed

It's not just me, apparently there is a lot of feedback of others with the same issue

I HAVE swapped modem files specifically all while staying on a KK based rom I've tried NC2 NC4 and now MJE radio and they all suck when using the KK software even though the MJE radio was fine on 4.3 for me

Given that others are reporting it, I find it hard to believe that my phone is defective / hardware related and it must be something in the firmware/KK specifically

It's gotten to a point where I need to take immediate action. My wife called me this morning and I was not even notified, my phone never rang period and I have nothing in my call logs but my phone was on the entire day with, quote fingers, ""signal"" and this never happened previous. God forbid something bad happened and she is unable to reach me due to a software defect. That is a BIG deal, I didn't even know she tried to call me 4 times in a row until she got home later that night and asked why I didn't pick up, I said what do you mean? It never rang

I'm debating on going back to 4.3 as a whole until the issue is identified and resolved unless any other solutions come out... I'm all about having fun and flashing roms but when my wife can't reach me when she needs me and I get ripped a new asshole things need to stop lol

Last edited:

fletch33

Jan 9, 2010
this is not a solution but thought i would post what happened to me.

• had N3 since launch and no signal issues
  • upgraded to KK Stock NC2 leak and had no signal issues
  • upgraded to NC4 firmware to fix reboot issue for recovery etc.. and HAD signal issues - BAD "No mobile Network" where it used to work perfectly
  • tried MJE Radio switched back and forth and all over and had signal issues still
  • tried a full NAND restore and complete factory reset and still had signal issues
  • ordered a replacement that came with MJE and NO signal issues - worked like it was working on release date
  • upgraded to NC4 Jasmine rom and did the NC4 firmware upgrade again - worried i would have same results but NO signal issue
  • now can switch to any KK rom with my NC4 and NO signal issue

i can not explain why the NC4 upgrade killed my release date N3 signal and the replacement N3 has no issues but something has to be related to me getting a newer device is all i can guess

Reactions: tharris297

LexusBrian400

Mar 22, 2010
Just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. Since updating my signal has been abysmal and it's killing my battery. I even got a new Sim card, no change. These radios really suck.

bursthead

Apr 10, 2011
I actually hated MJE, such a horrible radio. I'm actually running hyperdrive with MJ7 and loving the signal quality. Though I specifically use MJ7 since I had the best signal for Band 4 with it. I thought NC2 was okay, but I tried it out only for a few hours once I found out you could change radios.

mirrin

Feb 7, 2011
LG V50 ThinQ
LG V60 ThinQ
this is not a solution but thought i would post what happened to me.

• had N3 since launch and no signal issues
  • upgraded to KK Stock NC2 leak and had no signal issues
  • upgraded to NC4 firmware to fix reboot issue for recovery etc.. and HAD signal issues - BAD "No mobile Network" where it used to work perfectly
  • tried MJE Radio switched back and forth and all over and had signal issues still
  • tried a full NAND restore and complete factory reset and still had signal issues
  • ordered a replacement that came with MJE and NO signal issues - worked like it was working on release date
  • upgraded to NC4 Jasmine rom and did the NC4 firmware upgrade again - worried i would have same results but NO signal issue
  • now can switch to any KK rom with my NC4 and NO signal issue

i can not explain why the NC4 upgrade killed my release date N3 signal and the replacement N3 has no issues but something has to be related to me getting a newer device is all i can guess
This is something that has been bothering me on these boards. The definition of firmware is applied 3 ways and nobody references which way they are using the term.
Firmware seems to mean any or all of these 3 when in most cases it is firmware=bootloader/modem
1. To all of the software as a whole
2. To just the bootloader
3. To just the os, rom, distro of android

Now I have seen you here quite often and know your not a noob when it comes to this but...
  • You upgraded to the nc2 bootloader you would have used odin to do this.
  • you then odin the nc4 bootloader to fix an issue with ss (does not make much sense as you needed to wait for a new version of SS for this to be fixed...work around being reboot the phone then click recovery in the 10 second boot window)
  • you switched modems nothing fixed it
  • you then did a nand restore which would have only restored the /system, /data, /cache partitions not the /boot odin would be required to change that

It seems to me that your other phone had a bad bootloader flash.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried everything as well and had no luck till I turned off the Band 4 AWS. I've been running it for a half day and see much better signals and my SMS go out right away.

Follow this, but instead disable the band.

Google search for "Enable Band 4 AWS note 4"
    I've been on the MJE radio. You can find the MJE modem tar in the Verizon Note 3 Android Development section, the post is by BeansTown106.

Regardless of what people say about modems and signal, etc.. NC2 and NC4 were subpar for me. MJE is stable and I get excellent signal and data speeds.
    I've had the same issue. I'm currently on JasmineROM1.5
    Here's what I did and it fixed the issue for me. Go to Settings/more settings/mobile networks/network mode. Mine said Global. Change it to what I have in the pic. Reboot. Mine is good to go now.
    utusapeq.jpg

Wassup? No not too late.... I turned on airplane mode just now.... the download had not finished.

follow the intructions in the OP here. that was bad info you got!

that keeps you on leaked NC2 bootloader so you can possibly enjoy very cool future development but get all the recent update advantages

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

even if you dont use that rom just replace Jasmine rom with whatever you are using but do those steps.
    I replaced my phone and now I have good reception.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    How many hoops to jump through ? Contemplating getting it replaced , just worried about getting an NC4 phone after all the hassle.