You can use the Moto G on a MVNO if you buy it at full price

Search This thread

debaj

Dec 8, 2010
Budapest
If there is no advantage, why did it survive past 3G in the US when it didn't in most other parts of the the world?

I guess operators did not want to spend money changing their entire cell network and device palette. The US is a bit bigger than Sweden, and it is not surrounded by dozens of GSM-using countries. :)

Last edited:

mrfeh

Mar 11, 2011
If anybody has purchased a Moto G at full price and obtained Tracfone service with it, please let us know.

Thanks.

keoki619

May 31, 2010
el cajon
Google Pixel Fold
I'm interested in putting the CDMA version my Mom's Verizon contract account as she has no need for LTE and the data it'd consume. Of course it's back to the "Moto G is for Pre-pay only." What I don't understand is if I pay full retail, I'd own the phone outright. How can Verizon legally dictate the terms of service for the phone at that point? After all it is a phone they've already deemed fit and approved to run on their network.

krucesky

Oct 19, 2013
Verizon "Chat Now"

Maybe this service rep didn't understand the question, but:

Andrew E: Why would you do that?
K: Is it possible?
K: Because I don't want to be tied into a long term contract
K: I'd prefer to purchase the phone outright and port it to a MVNO
Andrew E: The moto G is without a contract
K: I've read that I would have to stay with Verizon (prepaid) for 6 months before I can change carriers. Can you confirm this?
Andrew E: Yes thats correct, but you could stop paying if you wanted to there is no early termination fee
K: If I were to purchase the Moto G outright (full price), would the 6 month waiting period still apply?
Andrew E: Yes

So looks like we'd still have to wait 6 months?

cpuspeed

May 3, 2011
Maybe this service rep didn't understand the question, but:

So looks like we'd still have to wait 6 months?

and somehow the Moto G has no contract even though it effectively does. Shouldn't some law firm be able to sue them for this BS.

edit: You should ask if you have to have 6 months of prepaid service. Can you say quit after 1 month and then wait 5 months for an unlock?

Last edited:

AmmerOfThor

Jan 28, 2014
After reading this thread, I went to a Verizon store yesterday and asked about buying the Moto G. I framed the question as though I was buying it as a gift for someone on a contract plan, in hopes that I could get it at $199 and then attempt activating it on Page Plus.

The rep told me the Moto G was for their prepaid service only and would not sell me the phone unless I opened up a prepaid line.

Maybe it was just the person I talked to, but I thought I'd share this with the thread.

mrfeh

Mar 11, 2011
After reading this thread, I went to a Verizon store yesterday and asked about buying the Moto G. I framed the question as though I was buying it as a gift for someone on a contract plan, in hopes that I could get it at $199 and then attempt activating it on Page Plus.

The rep told me the Moto G was for their prepaid service only and would not sell me the phone unless I opened up a prepaid line.

Maybe it was just the person I talked to, but I thought I'd share this with the thread.

Thanks for the info.

Just more evidence that the Moto G cannot be used with MVNOs at this time, regardless of the purchase price.

ocostich

Jan 4, 2012
Just finished talking to Verizon and they said that if I buy the phone in store at $199, full retail price for the Moto G, you can use it on a different CDMA carrier! So for all you people wanting to activate the G on Net10/Tracfone/Page Plus, there you go.

wws12

Has anyone actually done this?

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Net10, tracfone, page plus, I think paygo, and others.

WARNING: Many of those MVNOs are multi-carrier MVNOs. Both Straight Talk and Net10 resell service from all four of the major carriers, for example.

If you're going to go with Net10 or Straight Talk, I would strongly recommend the GSM or AWS variant of the G and one of their SIMs. (ST has both Tmo and AT&T SIMs. The AWS version will work on both networks but have issues internationally, the GSM global version will only work well on AT&T.)

wrj54

Jan 3, 2014
I would be very careful about the Moto G working on Tracfone. I have one phone on TF and followed their BYOP thread regularly. I never seen a "G" and in fact, the only phones they allowed where older models like Motorola Droid xx. Even if Verizon would allow it, that doesn't mean the MVNO would allow it.

One discussion was that TF would like to drives users of more expensive phones to their other providers like Net10 and ST. I'm not sure if that is true but their actions may indicate that it is.

ocostich

Jan 4, 2012
I talked to Motorola on their chat and they said that they are planning on selling the CDMA version on motorola.com, presumably without any restrictions. No date yet though. If I had to guess, I would say before the end of the month, but don't quote me on that. As another wanting to activate on Tracfone BYOP, I hope it gets here soon.

Me too. The guestimate of end of January has passed.

Brian VT

Oct 24, 2014
edit: You should ask if you have to have 6 months of prepaid service. Can you say quit after 1 month and then wait 5 months for an unlock?

I had no problem activating (switching my old TF account and phone #) my Moto G that had been on VZ for 6 months+. I have a chance to buy another (for backup) that was on for 5 months so I'd also like to know if it depends on actual VZ payments for 6 months or only the time since activation.

mrfeh

Mar 11, 2011
For those that don't know - you can register unlocked 1st generation Moto Gs with Ting out of the box. The use the Sprint network.

I just did this a couple days ago with an unlocked $80 Boost Mobile Moto G.

mars76

Oct 26, 2014
Hi,

I have bought verizon prepaid moto g. And what should i do to activate this on PagePlus ??

Do i need to get SunShine ? Even after that do i need to flash it ?

When i called PagePlus they said they cannot activate it.

Thanks
Mars

wsbarnhill

Mar 16, 2015
For those that don't know - you can register unlocked 1st generation Moto Gs with Ting out of the box. The use the Sprint network.

I just did this a couple days ago with an unlocked $80 Boost Mobile Moto G.

Hi mrfeh,

I've been a TracFone customer for years but have decided to begin using Ting also, since they do not offer the Moto G. After hours of research, I've decided to go with the Moto G and enroll it for use with the Ting service. My question to you is how did you determine that purchasing the $80 Moto G from Boost was unlocked? I just went to the Moto G product page (the Moto G is still $80) on the Boost site but don't see it explained anywhere that the Moto G is sold to you as an 'unlocked' phone. I would buy the Moto G elsewhere but can't find it for anywhere near $80. I would hate to buy the phone from Boost and then find out I'm locked into using the Moto G with only Boost.

Also based on Ting's coverage webpage (can't post link here), it looks like both GSM and CDMA phones are supported.?.?

Any advice here would be welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

mrfeh

Mar 11, 2011
Hi mrfeh,

I've been a TracFone customer for years but have decided to begin using Ting also, since they do not offer the Moto G. After hours of research, I've decided to go with the Moto G and enroll it for use with the Ting service. My question to you is how did you determine that purchasing the $80 Moto G from Boost was unlocked? I just went to the Moto G product page (the Moto G is still $80) on the Boost site but don't see it explained anywhere that the Moto G is sold to you as an 'unlocked' phone. I would buy the Moto G elsewhere but can't find it for anywhere near $80. I would hate to buy the phone from Boost and then find out I'm locked into using the Moto G with only Boost.

I was going to say that any first gen Moto G sold in a Boost box would work, but that may no longer be the case. See the note at the top of this page:

https://help.ting.com/entries/77713877-How-to-activate-the-Moto-G-on-Ting-unofficial-guide-

I suggest you contact Ting to see what the current situation is.