Has anyone successfully retained root from 4.3 to kit-kay 4.4?

Search This thread

tcbusch

Aug 13, 2007
I've seen several posts on using the leaked 4.4. Has anyone successfully retained root after 4.4 ota using the official 4.3 currently rooted? I really don't want to install safestrap or the leaked 4.4 .

Also,
Whats the big deal about 4.4? Should I just freeze 4.3 to keep root?

Last edited:

BluPhant

May 3, 2012
New England
I've seen several posts on using the leaked 4.4. Has anyone successfully retained root after 4.4 ota using the official 4.3 currently rooted? I really don't want to install safestrap or the leaked 4.4 .

Also,

Read. It really is a very special release and everybody that's running a rooted note 3 should be on it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727876

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III ... BajaRom Style

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Everyone retains root. You have to be rooted to install it and the rom is already rooted.

It's really good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

pmco

Dec 11, 2010
Barstow

Also,

If you want the already rooted 4.4, I'm pretty darn sure you MUST use safestrap. Otherwise, you are stuck with the un-rooted leak.

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Yeah. Safestrap and the rooted leak is the only way to go.

I see what he is asking now. Has anyone who was running rooted 4.3 taken an official OTA update to kit kat and retained root.. Seeing as the official kit kat OTA on Verizon hasn't happened yet, nobody can say.

tcbusch

Aug 13, 2007
Yeah. Safestrap and the rooted leak is the only way to go.

I see what he is asking now. Has anyone who was running rooted 4.3 taken an official OTA update to kit kat and retained root.. Seeing as the official kit kat OTA on Verizon hasn't happened yet, nobody can say.

Yes this is exactly what I am asking. Thanks

I like the phone the way it is and have tweaked a few things with xposed and so I want to keep root. However if there is a wonderful new feature on 4.4 that I can't live without then I might need to figure out 4.4 root.

For now I am just going to freeze the update service.

neyenlives

Oct 11, 2010
Actually the official OTA is probably going to be very bad and we may not be able to do as much with it. May not even get root. The leaked version is tweaked for performance, and already rooted, and has some features that would never be in an official release. I highly recommend you go ahead with it and forget about trying to be the only guy on here that wants to wait for the official leak and possibly loose root in the process. You won't get much help rooting it when everybody is already on a rooted kit kat. Nobody is going to waste time with it.

tcbusch

Aug 13, 2007
He's talking about taking the OTA from rooted 4.3 with an app such as Root Keeper.

From what I read a while ago Root Keeper does not work with 4.3. I checked and that is still the case. I can only assume it also would not work for 4.4.

I did read that SuperSU has a preserve root function. I think somewhere else I read you temp unroot then preserve root. After taking the OTA you enable root again.

Something like this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/1s700k/want_root_on_441_download_latest_supersu_v180/

M

mdorrett

The leaked version is a gold mine! It allows you to go back to 4.3 at any time via odin where as the official will not allow this. I am currently running leaked version and it is flawless. You dont have to have SafeStrap active after installing it just need to have it installed. I havent even opened SS since installing the leaked 4.4.2 update.

Galaxy Note 3 Stock Rooted Xposed
Galaxy Gear Rooted Null Rom
Suck It Nerds!

tcbusch

Aug 13, 2007
I know but there's not been an OTA yet so how would anyone know if it works on the OTA?

This is the second reason for asking. If people ota upgrade that have root and want to experiment then they could post their results here. So I believe I need to ask this before people start accepting ota.

Top Liked Posts