N900V Bootloader Bypassed + Custom Recovery...may be possible on N900A?

Search This thread

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
The Verizon Note 3 variant N900V has had it's bootloader bypassed by @Hashcode and custom recovery has now been achieved on that device. I talked to @bajasur who is running their bounty thread and he believes that the same safestrap method could possibly be used on the N900A (our version). If @Hashcode can get this to work on the N900A I am sure development will move quickly so get over to our bounty thread and make your bounty pledges now!!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493369

See @bajasur's N900V Bounty Thread here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2473918

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

tropazr

Aug 26, 2008
Columbus
Does this trip knox

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

At this point we will just have to wait and see what happens. I would imagine it doesn't but since it is currently being worked on and not confirmed we will have to just be patient...which I clearly wasn't with this thread. ;)

MrPlNK

Aug 11, 2012
Gaithersburg
Isn't this the same thing that happened with the s4? Bootloader exploited on verizon variant, didnt know if it would work for anyone else and it did?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
Isn't this the same thing that happened with the s4? Bootloader exploited on verizon variant, didnt know if it would work for anyone else and it did?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

The difference is ATT in addition to a locked bootloader made SELinux Enforcing. The VZW has permissive from what I've read.

kennonk

The difference is ATT in addition to a locked bootloader made SELinux Enforcing. The VZW has permissive from what I've read.

I am probably completely wrong as Android is a different beast than regular Linux but, in the Linux OS world SELinux has little to do with the bootloader. It is a set of modules that load once the OS begins to boot up as part of the kernel in runlevel 1. So by the time the SELinux modules are loading you are already "booted". I hope this is the case for Android as well as I am past my 14 days on this phone and love the hardware I just would really like to be able to run some custom kernels and load AOSP based roms if I choose to. This is certainly the last phone I will be buying from AT&T regardless, so disappointed.

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
I am probably completely wrong as Android is a different beast than regular Linux but, in the Linux OS world SELinux has little to do with the bootloader. It is a set of modules that load once the OS begins to boot up as part of the kernel in runlevel 1. So by the time the SELinux modules are loading you are already "booted". I hope this is the case for Android as well as I am past my 14 days on this phone and love the hardware I just would really like to be able to run some custom kernels and load AOSP based roms if I choose to. This is certainly the last phone I will be buying from AT&T regardless, so disappointed.

Normally it doesn't have anything to do with the bootloader but in this case since we can't crack or modify the bootloader we have to hijack the real /system into loading a recovery on a special partition along with a fake /system located on the internal sdcard. Whether or not SELinux enforcement policies prevent this or causes problems later if it does boot, we don't know yet. What it does do for sure is make it more difficult.

Last edited:

lordpelvis

Nov 12, 2011
Same

Same here. I hate that AT&T is doing this. It's crazy how the tables have turned, as it used to be (As with the S4) we would get a way to flash a recovery before the VZW variant, but now it seems that has changed. Is the Knox option only on our variant or is it on VZW too?

CorleReeFer

Nov 19, 2012
Carlisle
I got super excited when I first saw this but then depressed when I found out that it hasn't fully been achieved... what is the difference from the way that the s4 was cracked? It had knox too didn't it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

SunnyOK

Mar 25, 2011
The Verizon Note 3 variant N900V has had it's bootloader bypassed by @Hashcode and custom recovery has now been achieved on that device. I talked to @bajasur who is running their bounty thread and he believes that the same safestrap method could possibly be used on the N900A (our version). If @Hashcode can get this to work on the N900A I am sure development will move quickly so get over to our bounty thread and make your bounty pledges now!!! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2493369

Any progress on unlocking bootloader of N900A?
We highly expect this.
Thank you.

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
Have you not looked in the development forums?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 4

Unfortunately the bootloader is still locked and hasn't been bypassed. What safestrap does is hijack the boot process once it reaches the /system partition. That is after the bootloader. It then runs a modified recovery. This is why you can't run custom kernels on it yet. The /boot partition is still protected. Don't get me wrong though it's a huge step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: CorleReeFer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't mean to be a downer, but I'm still on the fence whether I can get this working on the AT&T variant.

So let's hold off on any specific donations. :/

So the bootloader isn't bypassed by this method? Not unlocked...but bypassed? I thought that a locked bootloader was what prevented custom ROMs from being flashed? I understand it's not unlocked but it's been bypassed enough to flash a custom recovery/ROM...correct? I clearly am not an expert in the exact terminology/procedures of this so I am asking out of curiosity.

No the locked bootloader on the Note3 for ATT is protecting the kernel just like aboot protects the bootloader. It's a chain of events. The obstacle for flashing roms without kernels on the n900a was mainly SELinux enforcing. Other than that, it's about the same as the n900v. Again, the /system partition was never protected like the /boot partition is. That's why RDLV and safestrap work and don't effect the knox warranty status. It's because it doesn't change an area that is protected.
    I have verizon and no it doesn't trip knox
    Any progress on unlocking bootloader of N900A?
    We highly expect this.
    Thank you.

Have you not looked in the development forums?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 4