[SEMI-FIX/BYPASS] Unlocking Bootloader when HTCdev site is crashing/semi-down

Search This thread

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
UPDATE: I was on XDA Portal! http://www.xda-developers.com/android/bypass-htc-server-problems-when-unlocking-bootloader/

Hey guys,

So basically I spent two hours checking trying to unlock my HTC One X's bootloader a few days back.

I mean seriously? Two hours to unlock my bootloader? That's utter bull. HTCdev has the worst bootloader unlock servers ever, mostly because server keeps overloading.

I found several fixes if you have this error when you open the website on Google Chrome, but these aren't really fixes that fix the server, these are temporary bypasses if you want to get your bootloader unlocked immediately.

You would want to follow this if you constantly get these errors by using Google Chrome:

1. "The connection to htcdev.com was interrupted."

2. "This webpage is not available"

3. After logging in to the website, you select "All Other Supported Models" and press Begin Unlock, no popup window comes up asking you to verify ToS and verifying that you will void warranty.

4. *without logging into HTCdev* You click Begin Unlock and you get a popup to login, after login you get an error "This webpage is not available"

To bypass most of these problems, follow these steps before proceeding:

1. Login to the website and make sure you get to the page where you can see "Welcome XXXXXXXXX Logout Account" on top of the window.

2. *OPTIONAL TO TEST* Try selecting All Other Supported Models from the dropdown box and click Begin Bootloader Unlock, if this fails and does not show a popup after 2-3 minutes, refresh and do the same except click the button two more times. If this fails, proceed onwards to step 3.

3. Make sure you have Fastboot, HTC Sync and Java installed on your computer.

4. Put your phone in Fastboot mode, do this command in the fastboot cmd to get your code: fastboot oem get_identifier_token
pict_6a.png

Right Click > Mark > highlight the block of text > Right click to copy to the code

5. Make sure you are logged in, then proceed to this site: http://htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions, when navigating through the pages, you get the above Chrome errors, just do one or two refreshes until you see something on your screen and not a Google Chrome error. Navigate to Step 10, http://htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-3

6. Paste in the code and immediately click Submit, if you get a Google Chrome error, go back and Submit again. Repeat until you see the HTC success screen when you unlock your bootloader, telling you to check your email. If you get an error about your code, recopy your code and paste into the box.

7. Check your email, download the Unlock.bin into your Fastboot folder and open your Fastboot cmd prompt, run this command to unlock your phone: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

8. Follow on-screen instructions to unlock your bootloader.

9. Flash CWM recovery by Koush: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594819
Use this command to flash the recovery onto your phone: fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
For example: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img.img

10. Smile, you unlocked your phone's bootloader :)

Last edited:

HebeGuess

May 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Huh~ the problems you faced simply cause by the high serverload on HTCDev. Perhaps caused by those who are waiting for Desire and Rhyme RUUs..

"HTCdev has the worst bootloader unlock servers ever." -- can't give any comments on this because there no others available.
Need to clarify HTC is the first to offer official bootloader unlock though not s-off. Currently already made it to available for all their android devices, hardworks. Who you are comparing it with? Motorola's single device unlock site?

and why you need java for bootloader unlocking process.
the unlocked process is already done on step 8 actually.

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
Huh~ the problems you faced simply cause by the high serverload on HTCDev. Perhaps caused by those who are waiting for Desire and Rhyme RUUs..

"HTCdev has the worst bootloader unlock servers ever." -- can't give any comments on this because there no others available.
Need to clarify HTC is the first to offer official bootloader unlock though not s-off. Currently already made it to available for all their android devices, hardworks. Who you are comparing it with? Motorola's single device unlock site?

Please read the title. Obviously it is high server load or just crappy server upload speeds. I have waited weeks and weeks for it to load fast, if you try to go on HTCdev again right now, it is extremely slow and would constantly hang.

Think about it logically, HTC is such a big company, and plus we shouldn't have extremely high network ping since the HQ is just an hour flight away from where I live. It's not hardwork if people want to unlock their bootloaders and they purposely lock it down, they're just pissing people off, intentionally wanting to record down who voided their warranty. Look at all the Samsung users, their phones come with a pre-unlocked bootloader and they're doing much better than HTC.

They are in fact the first to do this kind of unlock, no other company is doing it the same way, which means it is the worst way to do it.

If you can be bothered, please take a look at HTCdev's twitter page. There are loads of people complaining about their bootloader unlock page, and HTCdev claiming that they fixed it, but its an ongoing problem and I have never ever had such a hassle when trying to root your phone.

Anyways this is a technique I would follow if you have the problems stated above, just wanting to help people, not start flames.

Last edited:

HebeGuess

May 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Actually i was on the site regulary basis recents day for Desire S's RUU..

But bid samsung shipped with pre-unlocked bootloader? No, please dont includes nexus flagship devices and the funny verizon GS3 dev edition that wanting people to paid more..

And I have no intents to pouring flames on this..

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
We're on the International variant of the HTC One X forum here, and the major population here are from everywhere around the world, not just US.

Samsung releases pre-unlocked versions of their International devices, I never said anything about US carrier released ones.

Nexus flagship devices are controlled by Google, if Google says lock the bootloader, they listen, but if its a Samsung Galaxy S series device, Google can't force them to lock the Galaxy line's bootloader.

Last edited:

AndroidAutobot

Apr 5, 2009
Portland OR
oh thank god!!! finally! =) Thank you thank you thank you!!! =) I'd been wrestling with their servers off and on for about FOUR hours lol. This totally worked

haroujf

Jun 25, 2009
Hi,

A better approach will be this way:

1. with your "My Device Identifier Token" ready (have it in a notepad)
2. use google chrome and launch 5 tabs
3. navigate all to http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-3
4. login to each of the 5 tabs
5.scroll all the way down to the part to input your token for all 5 tabs
6. copy your token from the notepad stated earlier.
7. paste and submit into all 5 tabs by using the short cut Ctrl+Tab
8. At least one will be submitted and you will received an email even though all the page shows you login error.

jatintan007

Sep 11, 2008
problem with bootloader

after flashing unloctoken from cmd by fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
i m not able to get any flash screen on my htc evo 3d gsm i m on

hboot 1.48.0005

build no 1.14.0.0 cl95535-keys
i m on ginger bread not able to update to ics.
default ics update is not also coming on my mobile

i m tired of doing it i hv done whole process like 100 times but splash screen dsnt appears on my mobile
i htc driver+java+htcsync+adt-bundle-windows

is their any other method to unlock my htc evo 3d gsm then htcdev pls help me i m trying this from last 1 year not no sucess yet

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
Hi,

A better approach will be this way:

1. with your "My Device Identifier Token" ready (have it in a notepad)
2. use google chrome and launch 5 tabs
3. navigate all to http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-3
4. login to each of the 5 tabs
5.scroll all the way down to the part to input your token for all 5 tabs
6. copy your token from the notepad stated earlier.
7. paste and submit into all 5 tabs by using the short cut Ctrl+Tab
8. At least one will be submitted and you will received an email even though all the page shows you login error.

+1

The guide shown here (OP) is useless, this is what everybody does anyway.
You've just made a massive guide, basically saying just keep refreshing and you'll pass through soon enough.

Using the method you described, it could still take hours...

longbowz

Apr 30, 2011
Thank you so much nicolaschum! Your introduction works perfect and I've just unclocked my father's HTC VT328t. It is contract model of a carrier China Mobile, with lot of useless carrier apps and worst part is all google apps and frameworks are removed.

I've been stuck in HTC legal term page for near two hours and unable to get into Unlock Instructions page (step 1 - 4) and was about to give it up. Fortunately I found this thread and with your instruction I've bypassed them and got final Token submitted successful message in only 4 tries within 5 minutes. Now I can get google apps installed on his mobile :laugh:

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Hey guys,

So basically I spent two hours checking trying to unlock my HTC One X's bootloader a few days back.

I mean seriously? Two hours to unlock my bootloader? That's utter bull****. HTCdev has the worst bootloader unlock servers ever, mostly because server keeps overloading.

I found several fixes if you have this error when you open the website on Google Chrome, but these aren't really fixes that fix the server, these are temporary bypasses if you want to get your bootloader unlocked immediately.

You would want to follow this if you constantly get these errors by using Google Chrome:

3. After logging in to the website, you select "All Other Supported Models" and press Begin Unlock, no popup window comes up asking you to verify ToS and verifying that you will void warranty.

4. *without logging into HTCdev* You click Begin Unlock and you get a popup to login, after login you get an error "This webpage is not available"

1. Login to the website and make sure you get to the page where you can see "Welcome XXXXXXXXX Logout Account" on top of the window.

2. *OPTIONAL TO TEST* Try selecting All Other Supported Models from the dropdown box and click Begin Bootloader Unlock, if this fails and does not show a popup after 2-3 minutes, refresh and do the same except click the button two more times. If this fails, proceed onwards to step 3.

4. Put your phone in Fastboot mode, do this command in the fastboot cmd to get your code: fastboot oem get_identifier_token
pict_6a.png

Right Click > Mark > highlight the block of text > Right click to copy to the code

5. Make sure you are logged in, then proceed to this site: http://htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions, when navigating through the pages, you get the above Chrome errors, just do one or two refreshes until you see something on your screen and not a Google Chrome error. Navigate to Step 10, http://htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-3

6. Paste in the code and immediately click Submit, if you get a Google Chrome error, go back and Submit again. Repeat until you see the HTC success screen when you unlock your bootloader, telling you to check your email. If you get an error about your code, recopy your code and paste into the box.

7. Check your email, download the Unlock.bin into your Fastboot folder and open your Fastboot cmd prompt, run this command to unlock your phone: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

Use this command to flash the recovery onto your phone: fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
For example: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru.img.img

Helped me unlock an HTC Eris, thank you. Was annoyed with the long wait and sluggish website.

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Re: [FIX] Unlocking Bootloader when HTCdev site is crashing/semi-down [SERVER OVERLOA

Everyone, I had to use a browser other than Chrome. Safari had much more success, even better than IE. Still took a couple of reloads o finish.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app

nicholaschum

Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
+1

You've just made a massive guide, basically saying just keep refreshing and you'll pass through soon enough.

Yes if everyone does this then why would anyone have any errors? I have done this on more than 15 HTC One X devices, so I'm pretty sure my guide is useful for me at least. I could even say it's failproof if done correctly.

I even tried his guide you +1'd, but all my tabs did not load, however that is just a smaller condensed method of what I did, that method would still work and is identical to the process of my guide, as it still loads multiple pages anyways, but you can't say a Samsung Galaxy S II is useless compared to the Samsung Galaxy S III because the S II has outdated or a different architecture compared to the S III. Without an S II invented you won't get an S III, so without a guide like this, there would still be people running around yelling how HTC servers should be fixed and never actually getting a fix, and there would not be a compressed version of this guide.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: I was on XDA Portal! http://www.xda-developers.com/android/bypass-htc-server-problems-when-unlocking-bootloader/

Hey guys,

I mean seriously? Two hours to unlock my bootloader? That's utter bull. HTCdev has the worst bootloader unlock servers ever, mostly because server keeps overloading.

pict_6a.png

Please read the title. Obviously it is high server load or just crappy server upload speeds. I have waited weeks and weeks for it to load fast, if you try to go on HTCdev again right now, it is extremely slow and would constantly hang.

Think about it logically, HTC is such a big company, and plus we shouldn't have extremely high network ping since the HQ is just an hour flight away from where I live. It's not hardwork if people want to unlock their bootloaders and they purposely lock it down, they're just pissing people off, intentionally wanting to record down who voided their warranty. Look at all the Samsung users, their phones come with a pre-unlocked bootloader and they're doing much better than HTC.

They are in fact the first to do this kind of unlock, no other company is doing it the same way, which means it is the worst way to do it.

If you can be bothered, please take a look at HTCdev's twitter page. There are loads of people complaining about their bootloader unlock page, and HTCdev claiming that they fixed it, but its an ongoing problem and I have never ever had such a hassle when trying to root your phone.

Anyways this is a technique I would follow if you have the problems stated above, just wanting to help people, not start flames.
    We're on the International variant of the HTC One X forum here, and the major population here are from everywhere around the world, not just US.

Samsung releases pre-unlocked versions of their International devices, I never said anything about US carrier released ones.

Nexus flagship devices are controlled by Google, if Google says lock the bootloader, they listen, but if its a Samsung Galaxy S series device, Google can't force them to lock the Galaxy line's bootloader.
    +1

Yes if everyone does this then why would anyone have any errors? I have done this on more than 15 HTC One X devices, so I'm pretty sure my guide is useful for me at least. I could even say it's failproof if done correctly.

I even tried his guide you +1'd, but all my tabs did not load, however that is just a smaller condensed method of what I did, that method would still work and is identical to the process of my guide, as it still loads multiple pages anyways, but you can't say a Samsung Galaxy S II is useless compared to the Samsung Galaxy S III because the S II has outdated or a different architecture compared to the S III. Without an S II invented you won't get an S III, so without a guide like this, there would still be people running around yelling how HTC servers should be fixed and never actually getting a fix, and there would not be a compressed version of this guide.
    HTC's servers are getting worse and worse, with over 6600 ping. Sometimes it also relates to where you are compared to how many times you try to load it. The site is obviously flawed and should be fixed. I couldn't get on the entire day. But I guess HTC doesn't want people breaking their warranties so I guess its a kind of sign telling you to stay away :p