Troubleshooting: Volume always turns itself up!

Search This thread

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Folks, I hate to admit it and I nearly have to cry writing this: Since a few days, my shiny HTC ONE automatically turns its volume to the maximum by itself. I clean my HTC ONE about every two days and hope that nothing happened to the volume rockers while carefully cleaning my phone with love and a small amount of santizer. How do I know that this behavior is not caused by the AOKP 4.4.2 system running on it? Well, when in bootloader, same thing happens. I just have to turn my phone slightly to the right and then the blue bar in the menu moves up all the way.

Dafuk, what happened to my awesome phone? Is it uncalibrated, are my volume rockers stuck? What to do now? :(

tamimifarokh

Mar 30, 2013
same issue here. but I found it 1 month ago. This issue happened because of app installed. Mine was happened when I installed Tango. So if you install it you should uninstall Tango and test it again.

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Folks, I hate to admit it and I nearly have to cry writing this: Since a few days, my shiny HTC ONE automatically turns its volume to the maximum by itself. I clean my HTC ONE about every two days and hope that nothing happened to the volume rockers while carefully cleaning my phone with love and a small amount of santizer. How do I know that this behavior is not caused by the AOKP 4.4.2 system running on it? Well, when in bootloader, same thing happens. I just have to turn my phone slightly to the right and then the blue bar in the menu moves up all the way.

Dafuk, what happened to my awesome phone? Is it uncalibrated, are my volume rockers stuck? What to do now? :(

Send it in to HTC... had the same problem with the power button. Sometimes it got random input.. even in bootloader. I got a shiny new HTC One. Everything was back to Stock except S OFF.

Reactions: SecUpwN

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
Send it in to HTC... had the same problem with the power button. Sometimes it got random input.. even in bootloader. I got a shiny new HTC One. Everything was back to Stock except S OFF.
@LibertyMarine, thanks for your hint. I hate this, but it currently seems like the only solution right now.

There are two concerns that I have: First, I rooted my HTC ONE via HTC DEV. If they recognize that, I might have to pay a huge amount of money. And second, what if I get back a REPAIRED phone with a new motherboard? It'll highly likely be unrootable..

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
@LibertyMarine, thanks for your hint. I hate this, but it currently seems like the only solution right now.

There are two concerns that I have: First, I rooted my HTC ONE via HTC DEV. If they recognize that, I might have to pay a huge amount of money. And second, what if I get back a REPAIRED phone with a new motherboard? It'll highly likely be unrootable..

they WILL recognize it! But they can't prove that you actually used the unlock_token binary file! You can follow this guide (I think, based on your thanks meter and so on, that you know how it actually works, but saying too much in that case isn't a bad thing). I did everything except the S ON part. And they replaced it the first time and the second time... right now,... I don't know if they accept it too... but if they didn't I will fight for my rights. And in the warranty statement is written that the warranty is void only if the issue is CAUSED by modification. And on HTCdev they also write this MAY void your warranty! But things that aren't written in the warranty statement, you didn't accept. You bought the phone and accepted only to the statement that was with your phone in the same box!

And a unrootable HTC One because of a new motherboard? I didn't here about that. I only know from people that got a new motherboard and that they also rooted it again succesfully.

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
And a unrootable HTC One because of a new motherboard? I didn't here about that. I only know from people that got a new motherboard and that they also rooted it again succesfully.
Well, not unrootable, but extremely difficult - happened to me when my friend wanted to root his repaired HTC EVO 3D.

I'll probably give this replacement a shot. How long did it take you to get back your new phone, @LibertyMarine?

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Well, not unrootable, but extremely difficult - happened to me when my friend wanted to root his repaired HTC EVO 3D.

I'll probably give this replacement a shot. How long did it take you to get back your new phone, @LibertyMarine?

That's annoying. I hope this won't happen to you too!

I am from Switzerland and I gave it to the shop where I bought it from(Microspot) and they sent it to an official HTC Repair Center and I gave it to them on a saturday and got it back 12 days later. They said it needs generally 2 weeks.

I hope you can do something with these informations and if they want to charge you - or even to be prepared - I have a few examples how you can convince HTC that this issue is not caused by you and that this is covered by warranty.

LibertyMarine said:
UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY FOR HARDWARE SUCH AS THE POWERBUTTON!!! I think it's point 7 in the warranty statement where they wrote that the fault has to be CAUSED by this particular ---- whatever is listed below.

Someone had an issue with a sunk powerbutton, like me:

LibertyMarine said:
Now, send them an email and tell them that in the warranty is written:
ONLY if it's CAUSED by external action, warranty is void for ONLY the part that got influenced by this cause! And also tell them that it is ridiculous and that they can't be serious saying that a few scratches and a unlocked bootloader caused a sunk power button! Tell them that this is against every human logic! Tell them that you have the right to use this warranty because the powerbutton sunk under normal usage! And this is definitly a production problem and not your fault! Describe them that you use your phone the way it has to be used!
But remember, be friendly and try to comunicate.. otherwise they won't deal.

Same guy again:
LibertyMarine said:
Try to give them your perspective.. how you experienced the sunk powerbutton. I said that from time to time it sunk deeper and deeper. And because I was afraid of destroying something I even pressed it softer and so on.. But once the point was reached that this ESSENTIAL part of the HTC One was unusable, so I felt forced to send it in on warranty because this is definitly a hardware fault and not a user fault! Try to give them your perspective!

This is almost everything. Be rethoric(Ask questions so that they must answer Yes! Ask questions that already include the answer) For example, Isn't it ridiculus and totally against every logic thinking that you say a unlocked bootloader is the cause of a sunk powerbutton?

As long as they are humans, they have to say, yes... this is the only answer... otherwise they would be ridiculus.

They wanted to charge him(was a bad decision :p):
LibertyMarine said:
holy crap, say them they HAVE to, or are they willing to see a BIG article in a popular newspaper with your problem and their answer... ask the shop assistant if he wants his name to be published etc... PROVOKE! FORCE them to repair it on warranty.. say them that a friend of yours also got the phone fixed for the same issue

But in the end this happend:

I will receive a refurbished htc one

I hope this helps you if they want to charge you. And even if they didn't what you've just read is the first step to become a good dealer!

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

You are from germany? Then I think this here can help you:

http://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

Last edited:

SecUpwN

Jun 12, 2012
DEUTSCHLAND!
secupwn.github.io
I am from Switzerland and I gave it to the shop where I bought it from(Microspot) and they sent it to an official HTC Repair Center and I gave it to them on a saturday and got it back 12 days later. They said it needs generally 2 weeks.
Hey @LibertyMarine, here's the strange thing: To make sure that it really is an issue with the heardware, I downgraded my firmware and reflashed my ROM. Same thing happened. Then, the same night, I upgraded back to the firmware I had before. And while the issue still persisted (tested it again), I went asleep. The next morning, my volume rockers worked correctly again!

To everyone reading this thread, here's what I expect what happened: While carefully cleaning my phone, a very small drop of santizer might have entered the spaces where the volume rockers sit. I expect that it took a while until it vaporized. everyone should take a look at how to properly clean the HTC ONE. I hope that my volume rockers continue to work as they should, I would hate to be without my shiny new HTC ONE and receiving a REFURBISHED ONE after sending it in. Generally, I don't like refurbished stuff. Yeah, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to know that the stuff I bought has never been touched or tampered with. For now: THANK YOU for baring with me and responding to this thread - I'll be back if volume rockers go crazy again. :cowboy:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Hey @LibertyMarine, here's the strange thing: To make sure that it really is an issue with the heardware, I downgraded my firmware and reflashed my ROM. Same thing happened. Then, the same night, I upgraded back to the firmware I had before. And while the issue still persisted (tested it again), I went asleep. The next morning, my volume rockers worked correctly again!

To everyone reading this thread, here's what I expect what happened: While carefully cleaning my phone, a very small drop of santizer might have entered the spaces where the volume rockers sit. I expect that it took a while until it vaporized. everyone should take a look at how to properly clean the HTC ONE. I hope that my volume rockers continue to work as they should, I would hate to be without my shiny new HTC ONE and receiving a REFURBISHED ONE after sending it in. Generally, I don't like refurbished stuff. Yeah, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to know that the stuff I bought has never been touched or tampered with. For now: THANK YOU for baring with me and responding to this thread - I'll be back if volume rockers go crazy again. :cowboy:

WOW! That's awesome! You are lucky. Thanks for your hind how to clean a HTC One! That will be very useful when I get back my One. I hope your phone won't get that issue again, otherwise, just PM me or quote me in this thread.

Have a nice week! :highfive:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

they WILL recognize it! But they can't prove that you actually used the unlock_token binary file! You can follow this guide (I think, based on your thanks meter and so on, that you know how it actually works, but saying too much in that case isn't a bad thing). I did everything except the S ON part. And they replaced it the first time and the second time... right now,... I don't know if they accept it too... but if they didn't I will fight for my rights. And in the warranty statement is written that the warranty is void only if the issue is CAUSED by modification. And on HTCdev they also write this MAY void your warranty! But things that aren't written in the warranty statement, you didn't accept. You bought the phone and accepted only to the statement that was with your phone in the same box!

That's annoying. I hope this won't happen to you too!

I hope you can do something with these informations and if they want to charge you - or even to be prepared - I have a few examples how you can convince HTC that this issue is not caused by you and that this is covered by warranty.

LibertyMarine said:
    UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY FOR HARDWARE SUCH AS THE POWERBUTTON!!! I think it's point 7 in the warranty statement where they wrote that the fault has to be CAUSED by this particular ---- whatever is listed below.

Someone had an issue with a sunk powerbutton, like me:

LibertyMarine said:
    Now, send them an email and tell them that in the warranty is written:
    ONLY if it's CAUSED by external action, warranty is void for ONLY the part that got influenced by this cause! And also tell them that it is ridiculous and that they can't be serious saying that a few scratches and a unlocked bootloader caused a sunk power button! Tell them that this is against every human logic! Tell them that you have the right to use this warranty because the powerbutton sunk under normal usage! And this is definitly a production problem and not your fault! Describe them that you use your phone the way it has to be used!
    But remember, be friendly and try to comunicate.. otherwise they won't deal.

Same guy again:
    LibertyMarine said:
    Try to give them your perspective.. how you experienced the sunk powerbutton. I said that from time to time it sunk deeper and deeper. And because I was afraid of destroying something I even pressed it softer and so on.. But once the point was reached that this ESSENTIAL part of the HTC One was unusable, so I felt forced to send it in on warranty because this is definitly a hardware fault and not a user fault! Try to give them your perspective!

This is almost everything. Be rethoric(Ask questions so that they must answer Yes! Ask questions that already include the answer) For example, Isn't it ridiculus and totally against every logic thinking that you say a unlocked bootloader is the cause of a sunk powerbutton?

As long as they are humans, they have to say, yes... this is the only answer... otherwise they would be ridiculus.

They wanted to charge him(was a bad decision :p):
    LibertyMarine said:
    holy crap, say them they HAVE to, or are they willing to see a BIG article in a popular newspaper with your problem and their answer... ask the shop assistant if he wants his name to be published etc... PROVOKE! FORCE them to repair it on warranty.. say them that a friend of yours also got the phone fixed for the same issue

But in the end this happend:

I will receive a refurbished htc one

I hope this helps you if they want to charge you. And even if they didn't what you've just read is the first step to become a good dealer!

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

You are from germany? Then I think this here can help you:

http://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html