[HOW TO] Root Motorola Defy

Search This thread

MobiDroid™

Sep 2, 2009
Pirate Bay
This exploit is very old. Use SuperOneClickRoot instead, it works well on both Defy and Defy Plus. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Hello all,
i have downloaded SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse,
and tried several methods, but all to resulting into the same "hang at step 7" issue.

the methods include:

USB debug on/off trick
removing memory-card entirely from phone

i tried booting into recovery-mode, but couldn't find that, instead i got something called bootloader.
but in that mode nothing happened at all.

So what am i doing wrong, why isn't i working for me straight as for others it has?

My phone, non-modded:
Defy+ 4.5.1-134_DFP-231
Android 2.3.6
wce2z4.jpg

joydeep1985

Jun 19, 2011
Bangalore
Hello all,
i have downloaded SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse,
and tried several methods, but all to resulting into the same "hang at step 7" issue.

the methods include:

USB debug on/off trick
removing memory-card entirely from phone

i tried booting into recovery-mode, but couldn't find that, instead i got something called bootloader.
but in that mode nothing happened at all.

So what am i doing wrong, why isn't i working for me straight as for others it has?

My phone, non-modded:
Defy+ 4.5.1-134_DFP-231
Android 2.3.6

you cannot root DFP-231 using superoneclick . It doesnt work on DFP-231,188 etc series sbfs . Instead use Root DFP-231 link go through the 1st post and root it .

Reactions: MobiDroid™

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen that there's no topic teaching how to ROOT the phone in the forum yet, so I'm making one myself, I hope this will help users who come here looking for info.

This method was originally found by jboogie3 here http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola-defy-general/557910-motorola-defy-root-droid2method.html

EDIT: If you have version 2.51 ROOT with another way, check out this topic: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=889133

Let's get started:

1. Put the phone in Debug Mode: Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB debugging box.

2. Extract the files from the zip below, connect the phone via USB, and copy them to the phone via ADB like this:

Code:
    adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    adb push su /sdcard/su
    adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
    adb push exploit.bin /data/local/tmp/exploit.bin

3. Now we enter the phone's internal shell, also using ADB:

Code:
    adb shell

4. Then we take advantage of the "fake" root exploit:

Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod 0755 exploit.bin
    ./exploit.bin

5. Now after that last command you should be back to your normal console, not the phone one, so we need to connect to it again, and doing so we should now see that we have root permissions since the "#" symbol is displayed instead of "$".

Code:
    adb shell

6. Now we mount the /system partition as writable and copy the necessary files there, and set them with the right permissions:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    exit

7. Restart the phone and check if you have ROOT in a terminal by typing the "su" command, or by installing any other app that requires ROOT, and seeing it the SuperUser app pops up.
    Or, download z4root by ryan in the market. Click permanent root, done.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App
    I think its bull how these site are giving you credit for rooting this phone even thought i was the first to root this back in october before the phone was even out!I have a thread and everything at m3 http://modmymobile.com/forums/637-motorola-defy-general/557910-motorola-defy-root-droid2method.html
    ya i know you can use z4root now but man i sure deserve some props for this smh...
    I updated my thread about rooting it. Full instruction and working links. DFP-188, DFP-231, DFP-2311 BL7 Finally Rooted
    after step 4 when i try to connect my phone it says "error: device not found" i dont get it its driving me crazy!! win 7 64bit btw. any help is very much appreciated. thank you :(