[Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+] Holo Backup - Full backup without root!

Search This thread

apricoto

Jan 5, 2013
on my asus tf300t. it goes through the motions. i set up a password on tablet, it asks for password on tablet, acts like it is backing up a few files, then ends. and nothing is in the backup folder that i told it use. but wait.... let me look in the prog backup folder. a 225mb file called backup.ab is there. so maybe changing of backup location is what doesn't work. ok.

jagwar1

Nov 22, 2008
www.jagwar.de
Tool didn't really work on my Razr i. It made a backup file with 5 GB but when I restored it was just 2 apps and nothing else.

shuckks

Jul 23, 2011
Thanks so much for this, very easy to use great UI and perfect so I don't have to store the huge backups on phone. My phone is getting full :/

Di27

Jan 21, 2013
at the risk of sounding like a total noob..

I was wondering how do i actually know when restoration is done?? does it usually go back to home screen like when you backup coz I got my phone restoring for around 5-6hours now and backup took a good 3-4 hours.. is this to be expected? (i did a full backup)

sharkcow

Jan 22, 2013
ASUS Transformer?!

I've got a curious problem on an ASUS TF700: backup files are generated, but when I restore, I don't see any changes on the tablet (e.g. backup one app, delete it & then restore -> it's still gone, although the tablet goes through the motions) Have tried both with and without encryption, with our without desktop password.

Looking into an unencrypted backup file with tar, I can see that only the _manifest file is generated, nothing else. Encrypted files are about twice the size, which still seems to be way too small (1.1kB), so I suspect the same problem (haven't tried to decrypt myself to look inside).

any ideas what's going wrong?!

apricoto (or someone else with a transformer): have you tried restoring anything?

thanks,

sharkcow

n00BXperia

Aug 30, 2012
qR4aT.png

4.0 + ? only for ICS OR more..not For GB ? :( :confused::(:crying:

MalcolmR

Jan 22, 2013
Hello!

I have successfully used Simple ADB Backup to back up my Nexus 4 under Win 8 64 bit. But when I try to restore this backup by using the button in main menu, the command window pops up, but instead of doing anything, the window is just filled with text. I think this might be some "help"-text related to ADB itself. My Nexus 4 does not do anything, I even tried to unplug my phone several times. The "restore"-feature seems to link to the wrong commands... Is there any other way to restore the backup?

omegavesko

Jun 9, 2012
Hello!

I have successfully used Simple ADB Backup to back up my Nexus 4 under Win 8 64 bit. But when I try to restore this backup by using the button in main menu, the command window pops up, but instead of doing anything, the window is just filled with text. I think this might be some "help"-text related to ADB itself. My Nexus 4 does not do anything, I even tried to unplug my phone several times. The "restore"-feature seems to link to the wrong commands... Is there any other way to restore the backup?

Hey there!

It's most likely ADB's 'help' text that appears, yes. That would only happen if the command was input incorrectly.

I just checked on my dev system, also Win8 x64. Worked just fine. This is the specific line of code that runs the restore operation:

Code:
os.system("adb restore " + str(backup_location))

I suggest you download it again, the download might be corrupted or something.

You can attempt to do the same thing manually by opening the Windows command prompt, navigating to the directory and running 'adb restore name_of_backup.ab', making sure the backup file is in the same directory as the ADB binary.

Reactions: onlavu

Thassodar

Oct 24, 2010
Trying this out, never seems to get passed the "Now unlock your device and confirm the backup operation."

Trying to run it on a Tmo Galaxy S3. USB Debugging is on, I set a Desktop Backup password like it said to. Adb devices lists the phone, so that seems to be okay. Phone is unlocked when I'm trying this, obviously.

I'm sure I am missing something obvious, I just can't think of what.

I'm having this same issue, and I need to backup this phone ASAP. I'd prefer not to root, but it's seeming to be my only option...

EDIT: Got it to work using a FULL backup (the one with the green arrows), not just apps. The restore is going well on my new GS3 as we speak.

Last edited:

-lukin-

Jan 4, 2012
I've got a curious problem on an ASUS TF700: backup files are generated, but when I restore, I don't see any changes on the tablet (e.g. backup one app, delete it & then restore -> it's still gone, although the tablet goes through the motions) Have tried both with and without encryption, with our without desktop password.

I'm also experiencing bugs with ASUS TF700F. Seems to get through the back up - but then hangs at "Shared storage". That's when the desktop app doesn't respond properly.

kenny0t

Jan 26, 2013
it shows
adb server is out of date. killing...
ADB server didn't ACK
*failed to start daemon*
adb: unable to connect for backup

how to solve it??

omegavesko

Jun 9, 2012
Re: [Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+]Simple ADB Backup - Full backup without root - BETA

after i backup allwithout system app,can i restore only 1 or 2 app,or i need to restore all?

You can use something like titanium backup to extract individual apps from it. I haven't tested it personally.

Sent from my Skate using Tapatalk 2

omegavesko

Jun 9, 2012
Re: [Tool][Windows/Linux][4.0+]Simple ADB Backup - Full backup without root - BETA

Only for not-rooted device. Can work on rooted device.

It doesn't need root to run, but it works perfectly fine on rooted devices.

That said, if your device is rooted anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't use something like titanium backup instead.

Sent from my Skate using Tapatalk 2

Amo_rphis

Feb 27, 2012
Craiova

Hoped that the backup for 1 app option to work,i think is most important for a lot of nonrooted ppl :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Tonio78370

Mar 5, 2009
Near Paris
A bit earlier I reported that the program seemed to work on a Note 2 but it doesn't.

I decided to do a Factory Reset yesterday because of the 4.1.2. battery drain issue and backed up the Apps & Device Data. The backup seemed to be OK as it created a file of about 155 Mb. After the reset, I tried to restore but that's were things went wrong: it restored nothing...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OSIXf6X.png

A multiplatform GUI application I coded that uses ADB Backup to make full backups of your phone/tablet.

Unfortunately, ADB Backup itself is rather buggy so it will often fail on many devices, and may not work at all on some (the HTC One series, Sony phones from 2011, and some Motorola phones are most often reported to not work). All of the things the Ultimate Backup Tool has trouble with also affect this application. Sorry, that's just how it works. Do report devices that don't work though, just so everyone knows about it.

One of the best uses of ADB Backup is backing up Nexus devices before unlocking the bootloader, which wipes the device. You can then simply restore the backup to have your device in (mostly) the same state as before.

Tested by myself on Windows 7 and Linux Mint 14. As I've only tested it on my own phone, I'm treating this as an open beta.

Download
    http://omegavesko.github.com/SimpleADBBackup/ - Contains links to downloads in .tar and .zip formats. Both executables and source are included.

Usage
    On Windows, simply run HoloBackup.exe.
    On Linux, run HoloBackupLinux. Running the binary as superuser is no longer necessary.

You can also run it from source on either platform, just move the script for your platform from the /src/ directory into the parent directory.

Source
    https://github.com/omegavesko/SimpleADBBackup - It's rather messy, I'm not too good at keeping git repos tidy. Should still work, though.

Changelog
    v2.0 - Huge update. See GitHub page for feature list.

v1.0 - Initial release.

Credits
    All credits for the frameworks used do to the teams behind Python, Qt and of course the Android team.
    Also check out Ultimate Backup Tool, which inspired me to do this in the first place.
    Hey thanks,

I know this is an old post, but so an I..... Lol!

Here is a Working Link for Win and Linux HERE

Click on either Win of Linux
    Than just look down that page to....
    "This file has been truncated, but you can view the full file. For Win....
    Click on that working LINK!

Same Text Link for Linux

Might help someone!
    ADB backup and restore is plenty of bugs, please recommend clockworkmod instead.

Related adb backup and restore bugs:
    Issue 28303: adb backup doesn't respect -noshared flag
    Issue 32830: adb restore errors not displayed on device
    Issue 34311: Galaxy Nexus gets stuck when restoring adb backup
    Issue 25780: BackupManager causes reboot when BackupAgent missing
    Issue 40691: ab backup and restore Ski Safari does not restore saved data
    Issue 16286: Restoration of phone not working properly

I'm aware of the buggy nature of ADB Backup. That's why I put warnings and disclaimers all over the place.

CWM is obviously better at backup and restore, but you also can't install CWM in the first place without unlocking the bootloader on a lot of devices, which usually wipes the device and defeats the purpose of a non-root backup utility.
    any link please ? i really want to try this

https://github.com/omegavesko/HoloBackup

Better do it yourself
    Enable Android ADB Backup
    The Android backup feature using adb backup is only available from Android 4.0+. To use this feature, USB debugging (under Settings -> Developer options) must be enabled on the device.

Also, this feature does not work on all apps. To enable ADB backup for an app, that app must have set the android:allowbackup attribute to true in the Android Manifest (AndroidManifest.xml) XML file.

Android Manifest XML File
    <application>
    android:allowBackup="true"
    </application>
    <application>
    android:allowBackup="true"
    </application>
    Apps like the Google Authenticator have disabled the ADB backup feature to prevent sensitive information from being extracted from the device. ADB backup will not work on such apps. An attempt to perform an ADB backup on such apps will only generate a dummy file with no valid content inside.

Perform Android ADB Backup
    To perform an ADB backup, you will first need to know the package name of the app in question. For example, if you want to perform a backup of the WhatsApp application, the package name would be “com.whatsapp“.

You can get a list of the installed packages by running the pm list packages command from the ADB shell.

$ adb shell pm list packages
    Another easier way is to extract the package name from the app’s Google Play Store web URL. For WhatsApp, the URL is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp and the package name can be found after the “id=” field.

To perform a backup, connect the phone to the computer via USB and run the ADB backup command. If you want to backup WhatsApp, run adb like this:

$ adb backup -f com.whatsapp.ab -noapk com.whatsapp
    This will trigger a confirmation dialog prompting you to authorise the backup on your phone as shown below. Click on the “Back up my data” button without providing a password. The backup will start only after you click on the button.

Wait for the ADB backup command to complete. It may take a while, depending on the size of the data to be backed up. The backup will be written to the file specified in the “-f” option, in our case, it’s “com.whatsapp.ab“. The “.ab” extension indicates Android Backup. The “-noapk” option means that a backup of the .apk file is disabled and only the contents are backed up.

Restore / Repack Android ADB Backup
    To restore the original Android Backup archive, run adb like this:

$ adb restore com.whatsapp.ab

A nice little helper for preparing ADB backups has landed in from switzerland:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.masshardt.adbbackuphelper&hl=en_US

1. To backup app data along with apk

Type in this command:

adb backup -f “D:\myfolder\myapp.ab” -apk <package name>

-f parameter specifies the file location, -apk specifies to backup apk (and not only app data)

Once you enter this command on PC you will be prompted to unlock phone screen. Unlock screen and select ‘Back Up Data’ and also enter password if you have set up any previously. This command will store the backup to myapp.ab file on your PC. To restore this back to your phone simply type in:

adb restore “D:\myfolder\myapp.ab”

This command will restore entire app back to your phone.

2. To backup only app data

To backup only data don’t pass -apk parameter. This will only backup the app data in myapp.ab file. Remember that before you restore this backup the app should already be installed on the phone (From play store or from apk file which you are supposed to have).

3. To backup multiple apps

If you need to backup more than one app put in all package names in <package name> parameter with single space between each name. Alternatively if you want to backup all apps on phone you can use:

adb backup -f “D:\myfolder\myapp.ab” -all -apk -nosystem

-nosystem parameter is used to exclude system apps from backup, as restoring system apps sometimes causes stability issues.

4. To backup your personal data only

adb backup -shared -f “D:\myfolder\mydata.ab”
    -shared does a backup of personal data from the internal SDcard. It used to exclude apps, but should save settings
    Looks like Githib is still under maintenance....

It just came back up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 beta

**Press the thanks button if I have helped you.