[Q] Newbie - Understanding unlocking

Search This thread

GnewPhone

May 18, 2014
Hi All, (I just tried to pot this but this site crashed after a three minute wait, so hope this is not a duplicate)

I have been a developer of window applications for many years and have finally decided to see about working with winphone. Sorry for the really basic questions but I am totally out of my depth here. Once I get started with the phone, the programming will not be such an issue as I have looked at some source code for winphone apps and it is all pretty straight forward stuff. I have installed the SDK and so far, so good.

I have owned a smart phone for two weeks so be gentle, please. :)

I have been given a Nokia 520 AT&T GoPhone as a test bed. It is of course locked to AT&T pre-paid. I would like to use the TMo SIM from my
current phone but the GoPhone spits on it with "unknown network."

I need to understand exactly what unlocking means. If I follow the process for a new ROM here...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515453

Will the phone still be tied to the AT&T network or will the TMo SIM now work?

I have seen a section on the msoft site for dev-unlocking, I have paid the $19 fee to join the low-level devs and now wondering if that unlocking process will allow the use of the TMo SIM or must I buy an unlocked 520 or something else.

I'd really appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
GSM radio firmware is usually what controls the SIM lock, and is usually completely separate from the OS firmware. I do not believe Nokia Care Suite can SIM-unlock (or change the SIM lock) for you, although I have not personally tried.

Please do NOT continue starting new threads instead of discussing these topics on the existing threads where they belong! In addition, the question about dev-unlock vs. SIM-unlock has been asked (and answered) many times before. Rule #1 of this forum: Search Before Posting! (No, dev unlock has absolutely zilch to do with SIM lock and it won't help you there.)