[Q] Is my device bricked or is there hope? [CM w/o flashing kernel]

Search This thread

argthox

May 20, 2014
Hello Friends,

I followed this tutorial to the point:
[edit] not allowed to link directly, it's the Install_CM_for_ace guide from cyanogenmod, first google hit when c/p into google :)[/edit]

Welllll NEARLY to the point, with the result of me having screwed up. To be precice, I overlooked the last, really big written Note and did not manually flash the boot image.
I still can boot into recovery mode and in the ClockworkMod Recovery mode.

I can get the device to be visible with ./adb devices by booting into the ClockworkMod Recovery but I can't get fastboot to see it.
When in HBoot menu (of course) not even adb can be made to find the device.

My idea now is to download and install the original ROM (because of course I did ignore the "backup your ****" part because backing up is for pussys and smart people and apparently I don't belong in either group).

I am not sure though which one to downoad and use for this and before screwing up even more, I decided to do the right thing and ask for help :)

I'm very thankful for every tip!

Thanks a lot.

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Hello Friends,

I followed this tutorial to the point:
[edit] not allowed to link directly, it's the Install_CM_for_ace guide from cyanogenmod, first google hit when c/p into google :)[/edit]

Welllll NEARLY to the point, with the result of me having screwed up. To be precice, I overlooked the last, really big written Note and did not manually flash the boot image.
I still can boot into recovery mode and in the ClockworkMod Recovery mode.

I can get the device to be visible with ./adb devices by booting into the ClockworkMod Recovery but I can't get fastboot to see it.
When in HBoot menu (of course) not even adb can be made to find the device.

My idea now is to download and install the original ROM (because of course I did ignore the "backup your ****" part because backing up is for pussys and smart people and apparently I don't belong in either group).

I am not sure though which one to downoad and use for this and before screwing up even more, I decided to do the right thing and ask for help :)

I'm very thankful for every tip!

Thanks a lot.

First of all, if you didn't back up your **** you may want to back up what you can thru adb. You can navigate through your stuff by using ls.

Question: can you get to download/fastboot mode?

argthox

May 20, 2014
First of all, if you didn't back up your **** you may want to back up what you can thru adb. You can navigate through your stuff by using ls.

Question: can you get to download/fastboot mode?

First off thanks for helping :)
I don't have any personal data on the device I "only" didn't back up the original ROM so it's not a catastrophe only a pain in the ... .

Fastboot I can't get into, sadly - otherwise I would've tried to flash the boot ROM afterwards. the Computer simply doesn't find the phone while it is in the HBoot menu - and when I'm in Clockwork Recovery, the computer finds it via adb but not fastboot.

So i can boot it via VolDown+Pwr and get into that menu, but the computer doesn't see it there (I suspect because of the newly flashed device it has now defaulted to USB debugging off) - only if I go into recovery mode from there I can access it via adb.

Thanks!