[USER] JB/ICS/CM10/9 Discussion

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I was under the impression the micro end is what gets messed up with these cables. I honestly never use the usb for PC transfers and have pretty much never unplugged it from the charger.
I agree, that's my experience too. But modding the micro end is complicated. 12 wires/pins. When mine recently was messing up, just plugging the Galaxy Tab adapter plug in fixed it. Modify an old usb extension and see what happens.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

Last edited:

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
I agree, that's my experience too. But modding the micro end is complicated. 12 wires/pins. When mine recently was messing up, just plugging the Galaxy Tab adapter plug in fixed it. Modify an old usb extension and see what happens.

It is unlikely to be a problem with the micro end IF the cable functions as a USB data cable as the AC mode data line short is within the charger itself.

I'm also somewhat surprised that he data line short within the charger would get broken but obviously something is wrong if you don't get into AC mode.

I'd suggest the following tests before you start ripping things apart.

a) Does your Nook USB cable function as a data transfer cable between the Nook and a USB computer port? If it does then it is basically functional as a cable.

b) If a) doesn't work then try another USB standard micro cable (non Nook) when this works then try it into the charger. If it stays in USB charge mode not AC then you probably do have a problem with the charger. If it does go into AC mode then you have a problem with the Nook USB cable. A standard USB cable will give you an intermediate charge in the short term but a replacement Nook cable will be needed for full charge rate.

c) If Nook USB cable does function in a) but when used with the charger stays in USB charge mode then the problem is probably with the charger. If you have access to an volt/ohmeter then buzz out the inner two USB contacts from the charger with it NOT plugged in. It should show a low resistance.

d) If c) indicates a good low resistance on charger then I'd try test b) anyway in case there is something more subtle with the Nook cable end like a high resistance contact which is allowing function in data mode but preventing the Nook from seeing the data short properly.

If none of these resolve it then maybe there is something wrong at the Nook end preventing the data line short being detected properly. This could be either some low level hardware problem or maybe some software preventing the sensing being passed up, but I haven't heard anything like that before.

Reactions: mateorod

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
It is unlikely to be a problem with the micro end IF the cable functions as a USB data cable as the AC mode data line short is within the charger itself.

I'm also somewhat surprised that he data line short within the charger would get broken but obviously something is wrong if you don't get into AC mode.

a) Does your Nook USB cable function as a data transfer cable between the Nook and a USB computer port? If it does then it is basically functional as a cable.

b) If a) doesn't work then try another USB standard micro cable (non Nook) when this works then try it into the charger. If it stays in USB charge mode not AC then you probably do have a problem with the charger. If it does go into AC mode then you have a problem with the Nook USB cable. A standard USB cable will give you an intermediate charge in the short term but a replacement Nook cable will be needed for full charge rate.

c) If Nook USB cable does function in a) but when used with the charger stays in USB charge mode then the problem is probably with the charger. If you have access to an volt/ohmeter then buzz out the inner two USB contacts from the charger with it NOT plugged in. It should show a low resistance.

d) If c) indicates a good low resistance on charger then I'd try test b) anyway in case there is something more subtle with the Nook cable end like a high resistance contact which is allowing function in data mode but preventing the Nook from seeing the data short properly.

If none of these resolve it then maybe there is something wrong at the Nook end preventing the data line short being detected properly. This could be either some low level hardware problem or maybe some software preventing the sensing being passed up, but I haven't heard anything like that before.
bobtidey, maybe you can tell me what is wrong with my charging system. It started acting the same way as jewnersey described. So I plugged the usb end into my Galaxy Tab charging block and it said it was on A/C and started to charge right. So then I used one of my Galaxy Tab usb adapters between my nook charging block and my nook cable. It said A/C. I took the adapter out and it said usb. OK, so I just decided to use it with the adapter. Next time I wanted to use my nook cable to transfer data to the PC, the Nook was not recognized by the PC. (No, I did not have the adapter on the cable). I switched to a standard microUSB cable and the PC recognized the Nook.

I can use it this way, but I am stumped as to what is going on.

Last edited:

jewnersey

Jul 25, 2010

Cable is the issue it seems.. no data transfer, my inc2 cable works fine though and shows as AC. So what can I do to this cable ?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Cable is the issue it seems.. no data transfer, my inc2 cable works fine though and shows as AC. So what can I do to this cable ?
I don't know why, I'm hoping bobtidey knows, but the adapter seemed to make my non-functional cable work with the charging block. I would still try to make an adapter out of an old usb extension and try it. Or if you are convinced the cable is no good for data transfer, mod it on the usb end. You can't ruin it more than it is. It might work for charging. But if your nook is still under warranty, make B&N give you a new one.

Edit, if the data lines are not making contact, on one end or the other, it would not recognize the charging block as having shorted pins. Or transfer data to the PC. Do some more diagnostics.

Last edited:

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011

If Nook is under a year old then ring up B&N customer services, explain your USB cable is bust and they will send you a new one. They are used to this request. They will want to verify the serial number and customer name.

It is ultra difficult / impossible to repair the cable yourself if it is the micro end (most likely). The connector is a special B&N part (not a standard micro-usb) with lots of pins. So a difficult job even if you could get the part which I don't believe is available anywhere separately.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I don't know why, I'm hoping bobtidey knows, but the adapter seemed to make my non-functional cable work with the charging block.

SO I can picture a bit better what is the nature of the Galaxy tab adapter? Is it a separate cable that plugs into the Tab charger with a USB female, or what?

If I understand it your Nook cable never works for USB to PC data transfers, but does work (AC) charging when plugged into TAB charger or via the adapter? A standard cable works for both USB to PC data and for (AC) charging, but obviously with reduced rate as it doesn't have the extra pins.

Maybe the data lines in your Nook cable are shorted out internally. That would stop the the PC connection working. Plugging into the charger would just be shorting data lines that were already shorted but the Nook would go AC charging as it saw shorted data lines and now had power from the USB power lines.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
If Nook is under a year old then ring up B&N customer services, explain your USB cable is bust and they will send you a new one. They are used to this request. They will want to verify the serial number and customer name.

It is ultra difficult / impossible to repair the cable yourself if it is the micro end (most likely). The connector is a special B&N part (not a standard micro-usb) with lots of pins. So a difficult job even if you could get the part which I don't believe is available anywhere separately.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

SO I can picture a bit better what is the nature of the Galaxy tab adapter? Is it a separate cable that plugs into the Tab charger with a USB female, or what?
It is just a small male to female block that has the data pins shorted internally. You plug the male into the charger block and plug your cable into the female end.

bobtidey

Jul 5, 2011
It is just a small male to female block that has the data pins shorted internally. You plug the male into the charger block and plug your cable into the female end.

Ah. That makes even more sense to what I just said. If the adapter is used to short the lines rather than in the charger then the Nook cable straight into the charger wouldn't show AC normally. But if there is already a short in the Nook cable then it would.

Do you have a meter to bus the two inner pins on the Nook big USB connector? Also it might be an intermittent short that is susceptible to a bit of cable flexing.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Ah. That makes even more sense to what I just said. If the adapter is used to short the lines rather than in the charger then the Nook cable straight into the charger wouldn't show AC normally. But if there is already a short in the Nook cable then it would.

Do you have a meter to bus the two inner pins on the Nook big USB connector? Also it might be an intermittent short that is susceptible to a bit of cable flexing.
That could be it. I will try it later. I do flex my cable a lot. That's how I broke my old one. Too many connects/disconnects. Thanks for the input.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Bobtidey, It is definitely the cable. I have a new spare charger/cable. First I used the old cable with the new charger block, no difference. No amount of wiggling made any difference. Still only worked with adapter. Then I used the new cable with the old charger block (w/o the adapter) and everything worked perfectly. I think you are right about an internal short on the data lines in the cable. Given the life of these cables, I am going to continue to use the defective cable with the adapter for charging only and will save the new one until it completely breaks. I will use my standard micro cable for the PC transfer. I am completely out of warranty, by the way.

Thank you again for all your help.

Edit: I just remembered something else that may be why it works with the adapter plug and not directly plugged to the charger block. The data pins are not shorted with 0 volts on them. They have a resistor array that connects to the +5v and ground pins that puts the same voltage of like 3.2 volts on both data pins. The galaxy tab charger is set up the same way.

Last edited:

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
The nook has been out for awhile now, and I am sure that there are many others who, like myself, are no longer under warranty.

Just as a tip, I guess, I have had three cables break on me, the last two after the expiration of the warranty.

I have just continued to bring them to the nook center at Barnes&Noble and they keep replacing them out of some loose stock they keep behind the desk. No questions asked.

So don't necessarily think you have to make do or spend money. You may, but I haven't heard of anyone being turned down,

That's what makes the class action nonsense such a waste of time. It's pretty hard to get an award when the ostensible damages can be immediately redressed upon request. But whatever.

Reactions: leapinlar

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
The last time I tried to do that, I had my Nook with cm7 on it in my hand, and she wanted to look up the serial #. She took one look at it and said no way, your warranty is void. Duh! *slaps forehead* So my advice is only take the cable, not your modified device.

Last edited:

stolenmoment

Mar 27, 2011
I have just continued to bring them to the nook center at Barnes&Noble and they keep replacing them out of some loose stock they keep behind the desk. No questions asked.
I've never had success getting one in a store, but the lady on the phone this past March took the serial number (2010...) and shipped me a new cable with no fuss.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

dstarke

Mar 22, 2011
How far have we come?

How does the progress in ICS compare with where Honeycomb left off? It seems stuck at the same points. Is Honeycomb at all viable?

koopakid08

Jun 24, 2011
How does the progress in ICS compare with where Honeycomb left off? It seems stuck at the same points. Is Honeycomb at all viable?

Honeycomb is terrible. It was never even close to being a daily driver. ICS is getting very close. Pretty much all we are missing at this point is hardware acceleration so Netflix doesn't work. Other than that things run pretty smooth with a few hiccups.

Sent from space

Taosaur

May 4, 2011
Ohiopolis
taosaur.blogspot.com
Honeycomb is terrible. It was never even close to being a daily driver. ICS is getting very close. Pretty much all we are missing at this point is hardware acceleration so Netflix doesn't work. Other than that things run pretty smooth with a few hiccups.

Pretty much agreed, though I never got the market working on Honeycomb so I abandoned it after a pretty short trial. I also found Honeycomb itself not so good, regardless of performance on the NC. It always struck me as the Windows Vista of Android releases.

><Maddog><

Dec 4, 2007
Has anyone got the Sirius XM app to work with CM9? I updated the IMEI and have had it running fine in CM7, but when I try and to run it, I get a force close. I've uninstalled and re-installed and I'm having no luck. I read other posts that people have run the app on the Xoom in ICS, so the app should work... except it doesn't. Any suggestions? Anyone using this app now with ICS on the Nook Color?

Thanks for the help!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
More good news for CM9 phone gui users. You no longer have to use my patches to get sofkeys to display in phone gui mode. Two simple lines are added to local.prop to set the density which enables the phone gui and to tell the system you have no hardware keys. See my post here. So I will be making no more zips to enable this feature. No-moar zips!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: We now have official cm nightly support! Congrats to all involved! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

Feel free to continue building for yourself.
    Also, while your testing and bug reports are very much appreciated, do not WHINE, or feel entitled to anything. These guys have worked hard for YOUR benefit so be grateful and hit the thanks button for everyone involved.

Old OP follows:
    This thread is to help clean out the non-development discussions happening in the dev thread. Please post your impressions, problems, fixes, thanks, etc. here.

Refer to this thread for progress on development http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873.

Unofficial CM9 Nightly Builds:

You can get Eyeballers unofficial nightly builds here

You can get Samiam's unofficial nightly builds here

CM10:

Video of CM10 running on Nook Color http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28844150

Feeling brave? Want the latest and greatest? Build CM10 for yourself. Check out this post to get started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29075653

If that feels like a little much you can check out Andbot to help you get started.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29171789

Please do not share your builds. Refer them to these instructions instead.

Keep it clean and remember NO ETA's!!!

Credit and thanks to all involved!
    I think your first line mostly summed it up, but heck I'll take a couple of minutes to respond.. responses are inline in bold.

Hi Guys -

I want to start out by acknowledging that I realize that no one owes me anything. I bought a Nook because I thought it would be fun to see just what could be done with Android on a somewhat different device. No one held a gun to my head and I may have misconstrued what the goals of this community were. I own my own disappointment and am not blaming anyone else.

I was amazed by the Gingerbread ROMs that were initially available, and it seemd to me that in no time we would have updated (read Honeycomb, ICS, and JB) Roms that would continue to amaze

It has taken OEMs (HTC/Samsung) in the region of 6-9 months to update some devices from GB to ICS, so "in no time" wasn't really going to happen when we work on this in our free time for fun. ICS was a huge overhaul and required a lot of changes - some of which we still don't have source code that we can use (such as hw accel/omx on ICS).

I did not think that Honeycomb should have been abandoned when ICS was still a glimmer in the eyes of its developer parents, and I do not think that ICS should be abandoned either now. I am totally confused by the lack of progress in bringing these later ROM to the state where GB was a year ago. The only thing I can think of is that Android is so much of a moving target that no one can spend the time necessary and that the changes to Android in moving from GB to ICS to JB have actually made it harder to adapt the OS to the hardware bits of the Nook Color. This, if true, is a major disappointment in the development of Android.

Honeycomb wasn't even started, so it wasn't abandoned. deeper-blue did some great work porting from the SDK but at best it was a "proof-of-concept" - honeycomb was not open source and therefore it was never really worked on. We also haven't abandoned ICS, while working on JB we're still pushing relevant fixes to ICS so that people can continue to get the best ICS experience we can offer (https://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore/commits/ics)

In my mind, the philosophy of open source software is to make adaption and adoption easier, not harder; and to celebrate those developers who try to do so, rather than keeping them in the dark and withholding necessary information and code from them.

I'm not sure who you're referring to in terms of keeping people in the dark? All our work has been open in the nookcolor chan on IRC or in the dev thread here on xda.

My initial reaction, when faced with such disappointment was to set up a Linux box (I chose Knoppix poor man's install for personal reasons) and to download andbot and the sources. I have gotten through the initial glitches and believe I have the full set of sources, the open and proprietary ones. Now it seems that the java runtime available in Knoppix is not appropriate (1.6.0 vs SE 1.6.0). I am running down the errors in the building in brunch to see if I can get around the problems. Java SE when downloaded from Debian and reinstalled, says that I already have the proper version.

Knoppix? Really?

I am willing to spend some time at this to get it working, but my dream of a more stable ICS or JB seems to be receding into the mists.

Of all the ROMs I have tried (and I've tried most of them) I think that (believe it or not) Honeycomb gave the best balance of tablet loveliness and usability. So I'm afraid I am currently asea.

I think you're mostly alone there..

I guess I will buy a Nexus 7 so that my wife doesn't have to keep asking me why my tablet doesn't work. It just seems like admitting defeat.

Thanks to all who have spent countless hours and who are probably just as frustrated as I am. Sorry for the rant.

Most of us aren't frustrated, we do this for fun to see what we can bring to this device, knowing it's a challenge and maybe never going to be perfect. If you want a fully functional tablet today - then I would also recommend the Nexus7 as being the device for you.
    Just in case you missed it, we posted our first Alpha build last night over in the development forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

;)
    Fattire put that line in the build.prop for everybody last night (via the awesomizer, LOL). What is it? Is he pulling our chain again?

Yes, this was a joke... my answer to all the bogus "change such and such and the NC will be 3x faster"... my point being that there's a placebo effect. We did play around though with some of the suggested improvements in IRC doing all kinds of tests and not finding any real difference. Also looked at source and most of them didn't do anything at all in ICS.

So next time someone asks for some unproven change to build.prop you can just tell them it's already included and covered by the ro.magic.optimization property ;) If that doesn't work I'll have to turn on ro.placebo.enhancements=true...
    I have been trying to use the CWM 5.5.0.4 taken from Sam's server in recoveries. It keeps giving me recovery.fstab errors for cache saying NULL is not a proper option and then only backs up /boot. Is there a working version somewhere? Fattires original post used Megaupload and is dead.

Here's a flashable zip for CWM 5.5.0.4 to EMMC. Built this morning for you. :D

This should correct the NULL mount point errors. I haven't tested it myself since I run off SD, but it should flash and work properly.

**Disclaimer: Do so at your own risk, I am not responsible for ... blah, blah, blah.... you all should know the rest. :p "

-Racks