Qi charger with multiple coils

Search This thread

sebr

Mar 26, 2011
I was reading for a while through the various subforums here trying to catch some info on selecting the "best" qi charger for charging our devices here at home (N4, N5 + some others). Finally after reading this review I came to the conclusion that in terms of efficiency, power consumption and charging time more or less all qi chargers perform equal. There are some exceptions tho, like the Panasonic TM101 with it's moving coil or the Tylt VÜ. Both allow free positioning (more or less) of the devices.
I noticed that especially with a case on, proper alignment becomes very important. So you give up fiddling with tiny microUSB connectors but have to deal with aligning the phone to accquire efficient charging. So I wonder is there any affordable charger out there with multiple coils?

kpjimmy

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio TX
Nothing Phone 1
Google Pixel 7
I was reading for a while through the various subforums here trying to catch some info on selecting the "best" qi charger for charging our devices here at home (N4, N5 + some others). Finally after reading this review I came to the conclusion that in terms of efficiency, power consumption and charging time more or less all qi chargers perform equal. There are some exceptions tho, like the Panasonic TM101 with it's moving coil or the Tylt VÜ. Both allow free positioning (more or less) of the devices.
I noticed that especially with a case on, proper alignment becomes very important. So you give up fiddling with tiny microUSB connectors but have to deal with aligning the phone to accquire efficient charging. So I wonder is there any affordable charger out there with multiple coils?

I have almost all the big names out there. I have the nexus 4 orb charger and the nexus 5 charger. The energizer and LG verizon branded one. I also have the Tylt Vu. Now I have the AirDock in the car.

To me multiple coils is a feature and not really required. The only one I have that has multiple coils is the Tylt Vu. Its good, but has a big footprint so that charger remains next to my alarm clock and LG G Watch charging set up. I have the LG verizon charger that my wife uses for the Nexus 4. and I use the Nexus 5 pad at work because that had the smallest footprint. I have used various cases with each of these chargers, including the airdock. From the Spigen Ultra Hybrid to the Nexus 4 replica bumper for the Nexus 5, they all work. Sure the Tylt can charge my phone horizontally, but that's it really. lol.

I guess to answer your question, the cheapest multi coil? Well even though this technically not a mulit coil, it does locate your coil for you on your qi compatible device. Pretty neat IMO.

Panasonic QE-TM101

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Panasonic+QE-TM101&_sop=15

Here's a cheapy tylt VU clone

http://www.dx.com/p/itian-a6-3-coil...let-pc-mobile-phone-black-325355#.U_O10EFaUTk

And here's a late addtion...the Nillkin 3 coil charger
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141370021990?lpid=82

Last edited:

sebr

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks for your answer. The Panasonic charger is, according to most reviews, not supporting trickle charging. If the device is charged completely the coil returns to initial position and the battery dicharges. In some cases there is also the charging coil repeatedly moving to the device and back to parking position again. Plus for some odd reason it is only available from Japan as direct import.
Tylt VU is way too overpriced, although the concept behind it seems great. Even the clone is too expensive.
So far the Nillkin Energy Stone looks good. Just cannot sind any serious reviews of it. Also only shipping from HK only which could be a problem due to strict german customs here :(