[APP] Facebook Icon Remover (ROOT) - Remove the new Camera and Messenger icons

Search This thread

machx0r

May 7, 2011
San Marcos, CA
ccswe.com
Hello everybody I was annoyed by the new camera and messenger icons that came with the latest Facebook update so I wrote Facebook Icon Remover to easily disable them. This application requires root. I've had reports that when disabling/enabling the icons the main Facebook icon may disappear from your home screen (but not your application drawer) but you can simply add it back. Let me know if you have any issues using this application.

EDIT: Just a heads up that I will no longer be supporting Facebook Icon Remover. If you wish to hide icons for any applications you should checkout my latest app CCSWE App Manager. More info here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639707

Last edited:

sibbor

Jul 28, 2008
sibbor.nu
Turns out it's very simple for manufactures to disable this option in the stock ICS settings app and from what I've seen it looks like most of them do. The latest version 1.0.4 has been updated to support ICS devices.
Out of curiosity: in Java, how do you disable apps for ICS? Always met by segmentation faults when using the PackageManager.

machx0r

May 7, 2011
San Marcos, CA
ccswe.com
Out of curiosity: in Java, how do you disable apps for ICS? Always met by segmentation faults when using the PackageManager.

I'm launching a process to start su and executing the pm command to disable components. There seems to be an issue in ICS with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable not getting set in a shell launched by su. See this thread for more details:

https://github.com/ChainsDD/su-binary/issues/6

Reactions: sibbor

mike1986.

machx0r

May 7, 2011
San Marcos, CA
ccswe.com
so u simply use

pm disable com.facebook.katana

or some additional commands are needed?

That would disable the entire Facebook application and all it's components. If you want to disable a specific component you need to provide the class also. From the pm help:

pm enable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT
pm disable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT

And...

The enable and disable commands change the enabled state of a given package or component (written as "package/class").

Reactions: mike1986.

mike1986.

That would disable the entire Facebook application and all it's components. If you want to disable a specific component you need to provide the class also. From the pm help:

pm enable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT
pm disable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT

And...

The enable and disable commands change the enabled state of a given package or component (written as "package/class").

soo...

that would be:

pm disable com.facebook.katana.activity.media.CameraLauncherActivity
pm disable com.facebook.katana.orca.ThreadListLauncherActivity

correct?

EDIT:

Nope, keep searching...

Last edited:

machx0r

May 7, 2011
San Marcos, CA
ccswe.com
soo...

that would be:

correct?

That might work but I'm using the full names:

Code:
pm disable com.facebook.katana/com.facebook.katana.activity.media.CameraLauncherActivity
pm disable com.facebook.katana/com.facebook.katana.orca.ThreadListLauncherActivity

Now that the secret is out all my ad revenue is going to disappear ;-)

Reactions: stegg and mike1986.

mike1986.

No lol I'm totally joking. I've already told several people the commands I'm using and imagine the application will continue to be useful for people who don't want to go through the trouble of doing it manually. Glad I can help :D

I wrote init.d script, might work as well :)

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
# ========================================
# init.d script for Android Revolution HD 
# ========================================

(
while : ; do
	COMPLETED=$(logcat -d *:I *:D | grep -c android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED)
	if [ $COMPLETED -ne 0 ] ; then
		echo "BOOT_COMPLETED: disabling Facebook icons"
		pm disable com.facebook.katana/com.facebook.katana.activity.media.CameraLauncherActivity
		pm disable com.facebook.katana/com.facebook.katana.orca.ThreadListLauncherActivity
		sysrw
		rm /system/etc/init.d/96facebook
		sysro
		exit 0
	fi
	sleep 1
done
) &

mike1986.

Working on it ;-) Shoot me a PM so I can let you know when my next app is ready.

I'm trying now to disable HTC Setup Wizard icon :D Also pissing me off :mad:

EDIT:

Code:
<application android:theme="@style/CommonTheme" android:label="@string/stupwizard_app_name" android:icon="@drawable/icon_launcher_htc_setup_wizard" android:taskAffinity="" android:description="@string/htc_company_name" allowSkinChange="true">
<activity android:label="@string/stupwizard_app_name" android:name=".MainActivity" android:taskAffinity="android.task.htcsetupwizard" android:screenOrientation="unspecified" android:configChanges="locale|mcc|mnc|keyboardHidden|orientation|screenSize">

So I guess there is no separated taskAffinity and I can't disable the icon without disabling the whole app.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody I was annoyed by the new camera and messenger icons that came with the latest Facebook update so I wrote Facebook Icon Remover to easily disable them. This application requires root. I've had reports that when disabling/enabling the icons the main Facebook icon may disappear from your home screen (but not your application drawer) but you can simply add it back. Let me know if you have any issues using this application.

EDIT: Just a heads up that I will no longer be supporting Facebook Icon Remover. If you wish to hide icons for any applications you should checkout my latest app CCSWE App Manager. More info here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639707
    Just a heads up that I will no longer be supporting Facebook Icon Remover. If you wish to hide icons for any applications you should checkout my latest app CCSWE App Manager. More info here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639707
    soo...

that would be:

correct?

That might work but I'm using the full names:

Code:

Now that the secret is out all my ad revenue is going to disappear ;-)
    okay machx0r now all you have to do is create a google maps icon remove to remove latitude, places, and navigation from my app drawer :)

Getting close to having something that can do that and more. No firm dates yet but I imagine it's only a few days away assuming testing goes well. I've been taking down names and will be sending out PMs when my next app is in the market :D

I'm launching a process to start su and executing the pm command to disable components. There seems to be an issue in ICS with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable not getting set in a shell launched by su. See this thread for more details:

https://github.com/ChainsDD/su-binary/issues/6