TUTORIAL: Fix For No 3G or APN Settings

Search This thread

OnlineBogey

Feb 10, 2014
Bournemouth
First of all, please tell me and I'll move this Thread if it is in the wrong section. This is a fix for the problem I faced many many times while changing ROMS, and it actually made me stay on Pillama for a very long time, this is because that was the only one where my APN settings worked/stayed.
So if you have recently changed to a different ROM and you don't have 3G and your APN settings won't stay, here's the fix.

This works providing you have a restorable backup of a ROM with Working 3G and you have an external SD Card.
Boot into Recovery. You can do this via Rom Manager (Downloadable from the PlayStore)
Restore to the Rom which your Mobile Data (3G) works on.
After you have rebooted and you're back on your ROM with working 3G download Root Browser. This is available from the PlayStore.
Navigate to your System Directory.
Look for a folder named 'etc', and go into it.
Scroll down until you see 'apns-conf.xml' hold down on it and select copy.
Navigate to your External SD Card and Paste the file somewhere memorable.
Go into Rom Manager and clear all your caches (Dalvik Cache, Wipe Cache, Format System, clear data) just basically remove everything.
Do a clean install of the ROM that you couldn't get 3G to work on.
Once you're up and running go into the PlayStore and download Root Browser.
Go onto Root Browser, and navigate to your System Directory/folder and into 'etc'.
Delete the 'apns-conf.xml' that is in there.
Navigate to the External SD and copy the 'apns-conf.xml' from there.
Go back to System/Etc and paste the file in there.
Reboot your device.
Go to Settings > Look under Wireless & Networks, underneath Data Usage you should see More... > now select Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > press the menu tab in the bottom right > select Reset to Default. Select your carriers one! Congratulations!:)
I'm just speaking from personal experience, this problem caused hours of trouble for me and I want to help you guys, so please don't hate if it doesn't work for you! Thanks guys:)

Reactions: Paulomp91

Chamelleon

May 16, 2010
Kraków, Poland
LG G6
LG G7 ThinQ
It's working but only in situation when APN setting disappeared after changing ROM. When phone can't read correctly MNC and MCC codes from the beginning even editing apns-conf.xml and changing codes wont help. I studied this issue few days and didn't find fix for it. There are few carriers in Europe which can't be used in our phones and for now only changing SIM Card for newer version can help.

OnlineBogey

Feb 10, 2014
Bournemouth
Okay, just thought I'd give back to the community writing about my experiences with the phone, I'm only 13 though so my knowledge is pretty limited.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, please tell me and I'll move this Thread if it is in the wrong section. This is a fix for the problem I faced many many times while changing ROMS, and it actually made me stay on Pillama for a very long time, this is because that was the only one where my APN settings worked/stayed.
    So if you have recently changed to a different ROM and you don't have 3G and your APN settings won't stay, here's the fix.

This works providing you have a restorable backup of a ROM with Working 3G and you have an external SD Card.
    Boot into Recovery. You can do this via Rom Manager (Downloadable from the PlayStore)
    Restore to the Rom which your Mobile Data (3G) works on.
    After you have rebooted and you're back on your ROM with working 3G download Root Browser. This is available from the PlayStore.
    Navigate to your System Directory.
    Look for a folder named 'etc', and go into it.
    Scroll down until you see 'apns-conf.xml' hold down on it and select copy.
    Navigate to your External SD Card and Paste the file somewhere memorable.
    Go into Rom Manager and clear all your caches (Dalvik Cache, Wipe Cache, Format System, clear data) just basically remove everything.
    Do a clean install of the ROM that you couldn't get 3G to work on.
    Once you're up and running go into the PlayStore and download Root Browser.
    Go onto Root Browser, and navigate to your System Directory/folder and into 'etc'.
    Delete the 'apns-conf.xml' that is in there.
    Navigate to the External SD and copy the 'apns-conf.xml' from there.
    Go back to System/Etc and paste the file in there.
    Reboot your device.
    Go to Settings > Look under Wireless & Networks, underneath Data Usage you should see More... > now select Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > press the menu tab in the bottom right > select Reset to Default. Select your carriers one! Congratulations!:)
    I'm just speaking from personal experience, this problem caused hours of trouble for me and I want to help you guys, so please don't hate if it doesn't work for you! Thanks guys:)