[Q] will note 10.1 2014 see Note 4 improvements?

Search This thread
Jul 29, 2010
This may come off as a silly question, but I haven't seen much in regard to whether or not the note tablet will see the improved features of Note 4. I'd like to think the tablet line up will see the new features with s-pen and whatnot but has anyone heard anything yet?
Thanks in advanced!

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
@evilpenguin123 its a good question but my guess would be no.

They need to differentiate the different devices so the features on Note 4 will probably be released on the next Note 10.1. Just as I dont expect them to improve the Note 3 features I wouldnt expect them to improve our tablets. Its so they make people want to upgrade.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I have/had a good time with Samsung devices the past 3 years (sgs3 and note 10.1-14) but now it's time to move on. The note is still absolutely amazing for handwriting (I use it every day for work - I'm a teacher) but my next phone will be the Sony z3 compact and I really hope some other manufacturer will make a stylus note taking tablet in the next years. Samsung pretty much owns the market atm.
Their update process and software is just a mess and all over the place. There is soo much potential with Samsung. But it always feels like they put all their energy into one device and make something great but instead of improving upon that they scrap everything and make something totally different and forget about the older devices.

I wish apple would make android devices :silly:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I have/had a good time with Samsung devices the past 3 years (sgs3 and note 10.1-14) but now it's time to move on.

Here's my take and it's a bit long.

We've reached the point where each generational device update cycle is becoming less meaningful. The M7>M8, SGS4>SGS5, and now the N3>N4 are all evolutionary. It's no one's fault, smartphones and tablets perform certain functions and you reach a point where those functions can only be improved/enhanced so far; be it via h/w or s/w. I have a N3 which I gladly upgraded from an N2 for because of the move from 720P>1080P, much improved performance, a better form factor, and Samsung's latest s/w (EG: S Note). Looking at the N4 the QHD display is a waste (over 300ish PPI the human eye can't register additional detail) and it's larger and heavier than the N3 with the same size display. It's more powerful but the display's going to take its toll and truthfully, how powerful does a smartphone need to be? I could care less about a heart rate monitor, a metal surround vs. plastic, and "enhanced S Pen feel." I'd like OIS and the better camera but outside of that there's nothing really compelling.

Some of Samsung's newer app versions are worse than their predecessors. I'll give you an example. AT&T did something to their network that borked S Voice for N3 users. That means if you have a Gear its voice capabilities become useless. With some screwing around with the APN and using the SGS5 version of S Voice folks got it working again. The amount of functionality removed from S Voice in the SGS5 version to make it "cleaner and flatter" is staggering. Driving mode got stripped of half its features and the ability to use "Hi Galaxy" from anywhere in the device was removed. A security update Samsung pushed fixed older S Voice versions and I couldn't wait to go back. So don't assume "new" S Note, My Files, Scrapbook, et. al., are better just because they're "new."

In terms of upgraded s/w Samsung's failure to keep their apps updated across older devices is actually going to start to hurt them. The N3 and N10.1-14 are really close in terms of app compatibility and versioning across Samsung's proprietary apps (EG: S Note, My Files, Scrapbook). I don't want to get a N4 with new and different versions of the same apps I use on my N10.1-14. It would be a pain in the ass to bounce back and forth between them not to mention potential incompatibility (EG: Current S Note being incompatible with earlier versions). If you think about it, the N10.1-14 is Samsung's "last great tablet." The 4.4 s/w is solid as a rock, M-UX is causing performance issues on the Pro's and S' which we avoided, AMOLED sucks on whites battery wise making it a productivity user's nightmare, we have all the stock widgets (EG: Mail, S Planner) which got shoved in to M-UX for those that have it, and S-800/Exynos 5420 is powerful enough to support a 2,560 x 1,600 display.

So my next device isn't going to be a N4. It's going to be a SM-P605M from Brazil so I can use it with AT&T's LTE bands. Samsung will eventually release a N10.1-15. It'll most likely have a 4K display ( http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-Samsung-going-to-launch-a-4K-tablet-by-the-end-of-2014_id56929 ) which won't provide much improvement (the human eye being the lowest common denominator) but will suck tremendous amounts of battery and tax the enhanced CPU/GPU that it'll come with making it not much faster or even slower than the N10.1-14. If the N10.1-15 is AMOLED it's either going to gain a ton of weight accommodating a bigger battery or end up getting crappy battery life compared to the N10.1-14's LCD display. I'm guessing the N10.1-14 will get Android 5.0 but pretty much keep the current s/w outside the OS. Fine by me. That would be my preference knowing my N3 is never going to see the N4's improvements; the latter most likely being a good thing.

So as someone who rode the upgrade train with every generation of phone or tablet I'm done. If the N10.1-15 turns out to be compelling and and has the same Samsung s/w as the N4 maybe I'll get both. But that's a big maybe and I'm in no rush. For the first time I'm actually happy and comfortable exactly where I am.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
Here's my take and it's a bit long
So as someone who rode the upgrade train with every generation of phone or tablet I'm done. If the N10.1-15 turns out to be compelling and and has the same Samsung s/w as the N4 maybe I'll get both. But that's a big maybe and I'm in no rush. For the first time I'm actually happy and comfortable exactly where I am.

I completely agree with you. As I said Samsung doesn't seem to try and improve upon things they try to sell as many devices as possible every year. And they feel the best way to do that is by pushing as many "new" things in newer models as possible.
Every year the new galaxy HAS to be bigger. The s3 was still usable with one (big) hand in most situations but the s4 and s5 had to be bigger. That's their logic: it has to be bigger faster and more pixels every year. All the numbers have to be bigger on the spec sheet. There aren't any top smartphones for single hand use anymore (except sony z3 compact) and I personally don't know anybody that really wants such big devices. And then they do they go for the note anyway! Literally everyone I know has either a "mini" version from samsung/htc/sony, the iPhone or a note 2/3.

And yeah smartphones are "figured out". We know exactly what we can do with them and where the limits are, which have been reached. Now they need to improve battery life and software and usability. Simple specs won't cut it anymore. Another reason why I go for Sony with my next device.

In terms of tablets, again they need to be as light as possible and as comfortable to carry and use on the go as they can get. I'm actually fine with the note 10.1-2014. I have very little to complain except the way Samsung handles upgrades and software Dev.

It's why i said i want an iPhone with android. I don't like IOS but they have great hardware and they usually use their brain when building their devices instead of just making all the numbers bigger for the specs sheet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have/had a good time with Samsung devices the past 3 years (sgs3 and note 10.1-14) but now it's time to move on. The note is still absolutely amazing for handwriting (I use it every day for work - I'm a teacher) but my next phone will be the Sony z3 compact and I really hope some other manufacturer will make a stylus note taking tablet in the next years. Samsung pretty much owns the market atm.
    Their update process and software is just a mess and all over the place. There is soo much potential with Samsung. But it always feels like they put all their energy into one device and make something great but instead of improving upon that they scrap everything and make something totally different and forget about the older devices.

I wish apple would make android devices :silly:
    I have/had a good time with Samsung devices the past 3 years (sgs3 and note 10.1-14) but now it's time to move on.

Here's my take and it's a bit long.

We've reached the point where each generational device update cycle is becoming less meaningful. The M7>M8, SGS4>SGS5, and now the N3>N4 are all evolutionary. It's no one's fault, smartphones and tablets perform certain functions and you reach a point where those functions can only be improved/enhanced so far; be it via h/w or s/w. I have a N3 which I gladly upgraded from an N2 for because of the move from 720P>1080P, much improved performance, a better form factor, and Samsung's latest s/w (EG: S Note). Looking at the N4 the QHD display is a waste (over 300ish PPI the human eye can't register additional detail) and it's larger and heavier than the N3 with the same size display. It's more powerful but the display's going to take its toll and truthfully, how powerful does a smartphone need to be? I could care less about a heart rate monitor, a metal surround vs. plastic, and "enhanced S Pen feel." I'd like OIS and the better camera but outside of that there's nothing really compelling.

Some of Samsung's newer app versions are worse than their predecessors. I'll give you an example. AT&T did something to their network that borked S Voice for N3 users. That means if you have a Gear its voice capabilities become useless. With some screwing around with the APN and using the SGS5 version of S Voice folks got it working again. The amount of functionality removed from S Voice in the SGS5 version to make it "cleaner and flatter" is staggering. Driving mode got stripped of half its features and the ability to use "Hi Galaxy" from anywhere in the device was removed. A security update Samsung pushed fixed older S Voice versions and I couldn't wait to go back. So don't assume "new" S Note, My Files, Scrapbook, et. al., are better just because they're "new."

In terms of upgraded s/w Samsung's failure to keep their apps updated across older devices is actually going to start to hurt them. The N3 and N10.1-14 are really close in terms of app compatibility and versioning across Samsung's proprietary apps (EG: S Note, My Files, Scrapbook). I don't want to get a N4 with new and different versions of the same apps I use on my N10.1-14. It would be a pain in the ass to bounce back and forth between them not to mention potential incompatibility (EG: Current S Note being incompatible with earlier versions). If you think about it, the N10.1-14 is Samsung's "last great tablet." The 4.4 s/w is solid as a rock, M-UX is causing performance issues on the Pro's and S' which we avoided, AMOLED sucks on whites battery wise making it a productivity user's nightmare, we have all the stock widgets (EG: Mail, S Planner) which got shoved in to M-UX for those that have it, and S-800/Exynos 5420 is powerful enough to support a 2,560 x 1,600 display.

So my next device isn't going to be a N4. It's going to be a SM-P605M from Brazil so I can use it with AT&T's LTE bands. Samsung will eventually release a N10.1-15. It'll most likely have a 4K display ( http://www.phonearena.com/news/Is-Samsung-going-to-launch-a-4K-tablet-by-the-end-of-2014_id56929 ) which won't provide much improvement (the human eye being the lowest common denominator) but will suck tremendous amounts of battery and tax the enhanced CPU/GPU that it'll come with making it not much faster or even slower than the N10.1-14. If the N10.1-15 is AMOLED it's either going to gain a ton of weight accommodating a bigger battery or end up getting crappy battery life compared to the N10.1-14's LCD display. I'm guessing the N10.1-14 will get Android 5.0 but pretty much keep the current s/w outside the OS. Fine by me. That would be my preference knowing my N3 is never going to see the N4's improvements; the latter most likely being a good thing.

thats why samsung suck.
    i think developers will port it to our Note

but sadly we dont have much developers here :/