My Evo Speaker Back-lit mods and More!

Search This thread

Childofthehorn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
Hey guys,

Thought I might post about my HTC EVO Back-lit speaker mod and other things done to my phone physically.

My Blog does show it best:
http://doesitpew.blogspot.com/2011/03/htc-evo-4g-mods-beyond-stock-and-one-of.html

However, here are the Pics of the Speaker Mod!

evob.jpg

You can see that now my phone has a Back-lit Speaker port! This is made using a PCB using a simple Resistor/LED serial connection. For those without aa thicker cover, this is still possible because the LED circuit is the same size as the speaker port (though it will muffle with a normal back) or you can put it in the back area of the headphone port.
evoback.jpg

My reason for this is I am a girl, so I put my phone in my purse when moving about. DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPOSSIBLE IT IS TO FIND YOUR PHONE IN A DARK PURSE? This solves that without being too bright. Also, do not worry as it uses almost no battery and will continue to shine, even if the phone does not have enough voltage to run as this needs only 2.0v to have full illumination! Also, doe not violate the warranty as you do not have to crack open the phone to install, just wrap the wire around the spring loaded battery connections! To connect, just use the FAR RIGHT AND FAR LEFT of the 4 pins, otherwise your phone will get very angry with you and will not charge. Tape is used to diffuse the light.

evo.jpg

The red is the base plastic of the phone (used to be covered with black rubberized paint). This has been initially removed by using the back of a razor blade and then finished with plastic polish using a dremel.
Finally finished off with a $7 shipped eBay extended battery with cover.
ev.jpg

mizzos4

Jun 14, 2010
Kinda cool. Checked out your blog. Some nice engineering and creativity on there. Love the Link and Kirby post-it art.

alexnaoumi

Jun 24, 2010
Detroit
Hey guys,

Thought I might post about my HTC EVO Back-lit speaker mod and other things done to my phone physically.

http://doesitpew.blogspot.com/2011/03/htc-evo-4g-mods-beyond-stock-and-one-of.html

evob.jpg

You can see that now my phone has a Back-lit Speaker port! This is made using a PCB using a simple Resistor/LED serial connection. For those without aa thicker cover, this is still possible because the LED circuit is the same size as the speaker port (though it will muffle with a normal back) or you can put it in the back area of the headphone port.
evoback.jpg

My reason for this is I am a girl, so I put my phone in my purse when moving about. DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPOSSIBLE IT IS TO FIND YOUR PHONE IN A DARK PURSE? This solves that without being too bright. Also, do not worry as it uses almost no battery and will continue to shine, even if the phone does not have enough voltage to run as this needs only 2.0v to have full illumination! Also, doe not violate the warranty as you do not have to crack open the phone to install, just wrap the wire around the spring loaded battery connections! To connect, just use the FAR RIGHT AND FAR LEFT of the 4 pins, otherwise your phone will get very angry with you and will not charge. Tape is used to diffuse the light.

evo.jpg

The red is the base plastic of the phone (used to be covered with black rubberized paint). This has been initially removed by using the back of a razor blade and then finished with plastic polish using a dremel.
ev.jpg

i notice u have one of those ebay batteries. how is it working for u?

Childofthehorn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
DFW, Texaaas
On the battery or the LED?

Basically, the battery will keep the phone on from a peak of 4.2V and low of about 3.3-3.4 depending on what your setup is. Now, where the led is hooked up is after the battery charging circuit that brings down the voltage to 4.0-4.2V from 5V (again depending on if you have 002 hardware or later versions). That means that this battery will essentially show the same brightness from 3-4Volts and my choice of resistor for this was 103ohm as it was not too bright, but bright enough. The light will show down to 2V with decent brightness, at the limits of the discharge circuitry in your battery (stock cuts itself, the chinese ones do not and do allow overcharging).

You do not need a DMM or Scope for this (even though I love my DSO Nano V2, always in my purse for when I need it!)

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
I likey! I have some extra SMD's laying around from when I changed the lights on the dash of my car to all be one color. I have to take my phone apart anyway to change my cracked digitizer and replace the exterior housing, so I may just do this in the process.

Thanks for the info!

cabrone1

Aug 17, 2010
Troy, MI
Ordered my e bay battery a few days ago. Once it arrives I will be doing this.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

evob.jpg

evoback.jpg

evo.jpg

ev.jpg