[Q] Device won't connect to any network

Search This thread

sgtcanadian

Dec 30, 2010
Hi, I have an SGH-I747M that was originally purchased through Bell. In an attempt to unlock to make it work on Koodo, I went through SamMobile (after reading there was no way to unlock post 4.3 OTA update) and that seemed to half work.They resell a service from 123unlock.nl which is a client that uses adb or something of the sort to mess with phone files. The program afterwards said "Your phone is now unlocked! However if you don't see any carriers you need to do something in the advanced option and pay another $2x.xx dollars to do so". I didn't feel like giving them any more money at this point because I was upset that what I originally paid for didn't work properly. The fix was apparently an option in the advanced options that was an NVM repair/rebuild or something of the sort. I should have screenshotted the issue but of course didn't.

Now, the phone will boot up and does not offer me a SIM unlock option anymore. When searching for carriers it will ever only find Rogers for some reason. It won't recognize Koodo or Telus or anything of the sort (or bell when my bell SIM is in). Every now and then when it boots up, it will successfully send a text but only within a 5-10 second time frame after boot (I've made 1 phone call as well for 3 seconds). I've tried the Koodo SIM in my own Nexus 5 and works fine so the network is okay at least (plus I called Koodo and they verified on their end things look good... if that makes a difference). The SGS3 won't even accept an original Bell SIM at this point. It's always on either no network, 1 bar or full bars, never anything in between. I've tried flashing different ROMs from Bell stock to Koodo stock and CM11 and it won't work no matter what I do. Under all ROMs it pops up an "ME Returned temporary error" message on the screen.

I'm hoping someone might have seen this issue before or know what's going on with the phone that I can fix. I'm assuming it's something to do with the modem part of the phone that's refusing to connect to carriers but I'm at a loss to fix it. I haven't tried flashing different modems on it yet because I'm unsure which one would be a good fix and no one has had roughly the same issue I could find in 3 days of Googling for this issue. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hi, I have an SGH-I747M that was originally purchased through Bell. In an attempt to unlock to make it work on Koodo, I went through SamMobile (after reading there was no way to unlock post 4.3 OTA update) and that seemed to half work.They resell a service from 123unlock.nl which is a client that uses adb or something of the sort to mess with phone files. The program afterwards said "Your phone is now unlocked! However if you don't see any carriers you need to do something in the advanced option and pay another $2x.xx dollars to do so". I didn't feel like giving them any more money at this point because I was upset that what I originally paid for didn't work properly. The fix was apparently an option in the advanced options that was an NVM repair/rebuild or something of the sort. I should have screenshotted the issue but of course didn't.

Now, the phone will boot up and does not offer me a SIM unlock option anymore. When searching for carriers it will ever only find Rogers for some reason. It won't recognize Koodo or Telus or anything of the sort (or bell when my bell SIM is in). Every now and then when it boots up, it will successfully send a text but only within a 5-10 second time frame after boot (I've made 1 phone call as well for 3 seconds). I've tried the Koodo SIM in my own Nexus 5 and works fine so the network is okay at least (plus I called Koodo and they verified on their end things look good... if that makes a difference). The SGS3 won't even accept an original Bell SIM at this point. It's always on either no network, 1 bar or full bars, never anything in between. I've tried flashing different ROMs from Bell stock to Koodo stock and CM11 and it won't work no matter what I do. Under all ROMs it pops up an "ME Returned temporary error" message on the screen.

I'm hoping someone might have seen this issue before or know what's going on with the phone that I can fix. I'm assuming it's something to do with the modem part of the phone that's refusing to connect to carriers but I'm at a loss to fix it. I haven't tried flashing different modems on it yet because I'm unsure which one would be a good fix and no one has had roughly the same issue I could find in 3 days of Googling for this issue. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Can you check your phone's settings => About Device and let's know what parameters you have there (Android Version, Baseband Version, Build Number>.

You mentioned you can send text or make call within a limited time frame. Was that with the Koodo SIM or the Bell? If the former, it would suggest the phone is unlocked to some extent but you are probably experiencing a baseband failure or need to correct the APN settings. Did you also try doing a factory reset?

Last edited:

sgtcanadian

Dec 30, 2010
Can you check your phone's settings => About Device and let's know what parameters you have there (Android Version, Baseband Version, Build Number>.

You mentioned you can send text or make call within a limited time frame. Was that with the Koodo SIM or the Bell? If the former, it would suggest the phone is unlocked to some extent but you are probably experiencing a baseband failure or need to correct the APN settings. Did you also try doing a factory reset?

The information you're asking for is attached.

The texts I got off were from the Koodo SIM. I have updated the APN as well, and I did do a flash back to stock resetting all settings through Kies emergency update. I found a little trick where if you softbrick it by trying to flash 4.1, it'll give you the "Please use kies" error and that'll take you back to full stock 4.3. I'm pretty sure the baseband failure is the option I need to explore but at this point I don't know where to go to fix this.

Edit: I read this online and tried it: "The 4.3 update introduces a "security feature" which requires carrier- or region-locked phones to be activated once on the original locked network before the unlock code will work." The phone didn't recognize any network with the Bell SIM in except "EXT" which I've never heard of before and it did not connect properly so that didn't work. I also read that inputting #7465625*638*# will give me the Samsung SIM unlock menu which it did however I don't think the issue here is with the root and I'd hate to pay $50 at this point to have that not work as well.

Attachments

• phone.png
    phone.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

The texts I got off were from the Koodo SIM. I have updated the APN as well, and I did do a flash back to stock resetting all settings through Kies emergency update. I found a little trick where if you softbrick it by trying to flash 4.1, it'll give you the "Please use kies" error and that'll take you back to full stock 4.3. I'm pretty sure the baseband failure is the option I need to explore but at this point I don't know where to go to fix this.

Edit: I read this online and tried it: "The 4.3 update introduces a "security feature" which requires carrier- or region-locked phones to be activated once on the original locked network before the unlock code will work." The phone didn't recognize any network with the Bell SIM in except "EXT" which I've never heard of before and it did not connect properly so that didn't work. I also read that inputting #7465625*638*# will give me the Samsung SIM unlock menu which it did however I don't think the issue here is with the root and I'd hate to pay $50 at this point to have that not work as well.

It's unlikely to be the regional lock as this feature means your phone will work with compatible networks in the region but not in other regions. You may, however, run Chainfire's Region Lock Away to be sure <http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470551>

Your firmware settings look OK so I'd be doubtful about a corrupted modem. You may still try to re-flash the modem via custom recovery. Download link for the CWM flashable zip is available here ... http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23252070760973552

The guys who sold you the original code seem to have sold a dud as there is no reason for them to be asking for secondary payments and this sounds like the footprint of a regular scam. I'd be surprised though as they seem to be well rated

Reactions: sgtcanadian

sgtcanadian

Dec 30, 2010
It's unlikely to be the regional lock as this feature means your phone will work with compatible networks in the region but not in other regions. You may, however, run Chainfire's Region Lock Away to be sure <http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470551>

Your firmware settings look OK so I'd be doubtful about a corrupted modem. You may still try to re-flash the modem via custom recovery. Download link for the CWM flashable zip is available here ... http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23252070760973552

The guys who sold you the original code seem to have sold a dud as there is no reason for them to be asking for secondary payments and this sounds like the footprint of a regular scam. I'd be surprised though as they seem to be well rated

I've tried reflashing the modem and I've actually paid $50 for the unlock code from Bell, the original carrier. I used the code to get the network unlock menu and inserted the code. I still get between 1-4 bars now with no network access on either network. It's not showing anything except Rogers still in network operator selection.

Any ideas at this point? It refuses to connect to any networks. I'm out of options.

Edit: I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I do root explorer I can't actually find the nv_data.bin file. It doesn't have anything of the sort in the /efs folder.

Last edited:

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I've tried reflashing the modem and I've actually paid $50 for the unlock code from Bell, the original carrier. I used the code to get the network unlock menu and inserted the code. I still get between 1-4 bars now with no network access on either network. It's not showing anything except Rogers still in network operator selection.

Any ideas at this point? It refuses to connect to any networks. I'm out of options.

Edit: I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I do root explorer I can't actually find the nv_data.bin file. It doesn't have anything of the sort in the /efs folder.

Please let me understand a few things ... when you first acquired the phone, was it working normally on Bell prior to the first unlock attempt or you never used it at all until you tried Koodo? Secondly, was the unlock code you got from Bell identical to the one you got from the online service?

I'm trying to establish if it is a case of hardware failure not reported by the previous user especially if you bought it pre-owned from the secondary market. If you are not sure of the previous usage history, it could be a faulty or disconnected antenna which may require professional service. On the other hand if you are sure it was working fine prior to the unlock attempt, try the following ...

1) From the dial pad, enter *#197328640#
2) [1] UMTS
3) [1] DEBUG SCREEN
4) [8] PHONE CONTROL
5) [6] NETWORK LOCK
6) [3] PERSO SHA256 OFF
7) Press Menu => Back button and go all the way back to Step 3) above
8) [6] COMMON
9) [6] NV REBUILD
10) [1] NV REBUILD

Reboot and restart and let's see if this does it.

reggie77

Oct 16, 2010
I've got a similar symtom different scenario (sister in-laws phone). I was also only able to see Rogers network on a search. I've got Telus version. It was working fine until it was brought to the Philippines, got unlocked there and brought back to Canada.

I was only able to see Rogers network until I went into the Service Menu (similar to above) and found the option to change the band. I changed it to Automatic. After that I was able to see Telus network. When trying to connect/register it would take a long time and give me an error "Unable to connect, try again later". I still need to do more troubleshooting, but that might be something to look at.

Note: Phone has stock MOD ROM, rooted and unlocked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.