My QWERTY replacement suggestions for the G2

Search This thread

sharptv

Jan 1, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have been using the g2 for many years, probably used around 3 of them, however its hardware is aging and I have moved onto other devices, though I still keep my G2 as a backup phone. I am sure many of you here are die hard qwerty fans like me, and would apprecaite an upgrade, as such I decided to list a few phones that could be upgrades to your g2 below.

Phones I have personally used:

T-Mobile mytouch 4g slide
Specifications
Dev support for this device is pretty much dead, as the last active dev for it spoilt his phone, however there's still a 99% functional cm11(4.4.0) rom for it. This device feels really fast compared to the g2 and it is an overclock monster. Its keyboard doesnt feel as comfortable as the G2's, but it is still decent. You can easily unlock it and use it on any GSM network, it takes a mini sim and supports much higher 3g speed than the g2. It also has a removeable battery and sdcard slot.

Verizon Droid 4
Specifications
It has official cm11 support and an actively developed kernel. It is very fast thanks to its 1gb of ram, apps no longer get killed due to low ram. It has the best keyboard on the market, and once you've used it, there's no going back. It takes a micro sim and you can use it on any GSM network outside the US, with a few exceptions though. Unfortunately its battery is not removeable, however it does come with a sdcard slot and has 8gb internal storage. Used ones are dirt cheap on eBay.
You can choose the Droid 3 if removeable battery is a must for you, everything is the same as the Droid 4 except no ffc and a slower clocked cpu, and no LTE if you're using it on Verizon. It takes a mini sim

Blackberry Q10
Specifications
You are reading it right, yes, Blackberry. First of all, it has the fastest hardware among all the phones here, its OS is pretty much stock android with an overlay, and you can install just about any android app directly onto it (play store doesnt't work, so only sideload), so essentially it can be classifed as an android phone. It has a really good keyboard which is expected of a Blackberry, removeable battery and sdcard slot. If you want LTE you can just get the variant which works with your carrier's frequency.

Phone which I have not used myself

T-Mobile LG Optimus F3Q
Specifications
I can't comment much on this phone as I have not used it myself, it is currently only available through T-Mobile. It has the largest battery among all the phones here. As at the time of this post, it does not have a forum on xda, however, someone has managed to root this phone already (with a few hicups), you can read more about it here

I hope you guys will find this guide useful, it shall serve as my contribution to this forum as being on it for so long.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I didn't realize you can use the droid4 with most carriers, I take it you must unlock the sim though. Good to know thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Ah but it is, T-Mobile

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

HTCDreamOn

Jun 17, 2012
The Motorola Photon Q looks good as well, pretty good development as it has official PacMan and an AOSP ROM. Unfortunately I can't have any of these phones as I'd have to import them from America for lots of money. I'm might just be a traitor and get a non qwerty phone next as long as the screen is so big that typing isn't a problem. It'd be cool to get my hands on a HD2.

sharptv

Jan 1, 2011
The Motorola Photon Q looks good as well, pretty good development as it has official PacMan and an AOSP ROM. Unfortunately I can't have any of these phones as I'd have to import them from America for lots of money. I'm might just be a traitor and get a non qwerty phone next as long as the screen is so big that typing isn't a problem. It'd be cool to get my hands on a HD2.

The Photon Q does not have a sim card slot, you'll have to perform a hardware mod and it is quite tedious, however it is dirt cheap. A brand new in box one can be had for less than 90 usd. Personally I would suggest the droid 4 (or droid 3 if you want removable battery), a used one can be had for around 60 usd.

Reactions: HTCDreamOn

misbehave

Apr 10, 2011
I was also forced to retire my G2 as it no longer charges right nor does it hold it charges even new batteries are being put in, plus it's getting so dangerously hot that I can no longer feel safe using it.
I am happy to say though that the LG Optimus F3Q by T-Mobile is a good replacement for the G2.
It's not the perfect replacement but it is certainly an improvement.
The keyboard layout is not as nice as the G2 as there is only one Caps key on the left instead on both side like on the G2.
The keypress feedback is also not as nice as the keyboard on the G2.
But everything else is almost an improvement. The Android run much smoother with 1gb of ram and the better processor.
However, like the G2, the F3Q is only useable if you root it and have Link2SD running on it plus the 2gb ext2 partition on the SD card as the internal memory is simply not enough for a practical android user.

Yes, for the same price of the F3Q, you can get a much faster phone with much bigger and better screen with double the rams and better looking phone like the Nexus5. That would be my choice of phone to get if I can give up the keyboard.
However if you need a GSM android phone with physical keyboard, the F3Q is really the only choice left for you.

Last edited:

Careless_

Nov 13, 2010
I will be receiving a Droid 4 in a couple of days now. It is super cheap on ebay for a mint condition unit with a clean ESN, charger, battery, and back cover. I already purchased and transferred my number over to a MicroSIM that is currently in its non-punched SIM state, and when the Droid 4 is unlocked and I get SafeStrap running on it, I'll be just popping out the MicroSIM cutout and transferring it over to the new phone. I don't care if it runs the same version as the Desire Z, I just want a bit more ram, because the 384 or whatever is in the Desire Z is just not having it with 4.X ROMS. The 1GB on the Droid 4 should be plenty for testing new roms and whatnot.

Couldn't care less about the screen, to be honest.

The F3Q looks like the one to get because it's a SnapDragon processor, as opposed to an unsupported OMAP, but for the price, I went with the Droid 4, and will be trying that one out. Worst case, I just pop the sim card back into regular SIM punch-out, and tape the back of it so it doesn't move, then transfer it to the Desire Z again.

ssnsltd

Feb 17, 2011
since the thread was brought back...

I have been looking for a replacement for my Desire-Z (AT&T sim) as well. running CM11 with little problems, but the phone is getting old. And im about out of memory no matter what i punt to SD.

got an XT860 (Droid 3), but its stuck at Android 2.3.4, so that was a no-go
using a Samsung Glide i927 right now.

- downsides:
stuck at Android 4.0.4. using anything else looks like it kills Bluetooth, camera and a few wifi issues.
no spell check/correction when using physical keyboard.
no physical notification lights (email/text/call)
no App to control "permissions" of other Apps (using AVG Tuner on DesireZ does this, need > Android 4.1 to get another App to do same)
that said it works well, but im not so sure I wont go back to desireZ do to stated limitations.

I had hopes the Droid 4 would get cracked for US/ AT&T but i dont see that happening.
a physical keyboard is not critical, but HUGELY important to me. I dont have feeling enough in my fingers most of the time to work the digital keyboard.

Careless_

Nov 13, 2010
No way. The Droid 4 is a way better phone, specs wise. And after installing Lollipop today, I am a believer. It's the perfect replacement.

Snappy. Pretty good screen. Good Camera. Lots more ram. Accepts 64gb SDCard, and works on virtually all networks.

Safestrap is relatively easy to use, and with the Razr Utility, flashing to 4.1, rooting, and then installing safestrap 3.75 to install a loli rom is super easy.

Annnnnnd the one I got was 50 USD, and it was listed as MINT condition. When I got it, it was exactly as described. MINT. not a scratch on it.

Easily the best G2 replacement.

My only gripe is that the keyboard is a bit more tactile (I liked the subtle desire z keyboard), but it is larger and more roomy. the layout is also different, so it will take some getting used to. but it's waaaay brighter than the DZ keyboard anyways. which is a plus!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I have been using the g2 for many years, probably used around 3 of them, however its hardware is aging and I have moved onto other devices, though I still keep my G2 as a backup phone. I am sure many of you here are die hard qwerty fans like me, and would apprecaite an upgrade, as such I decided to list a few phones that could be upgrades to your g2 below.

Phones I have personally used:

T-Mobile mytouch 4g slide
    Specifications
    Dev support for this device is pretty much dead, as the last active dev for it spoilt his phone, however there's still a 99% functional cm11(4.4.0) rom for it. This device feels really fast compared to the g2 and it is an overclock monster. Its keyboard doesnt feel as comfortable as the G2's, but it is still decent. You can easily unlock it and use it on any GSM network, it takes a mini sim and supports much higher 3g speed than the g2. It also has a removeable battery and sdcard slot.

Verizon Droid 4
    Specifications
    It has official cm11 support and an actively developed kernel. It is very fast thanks to its 1gb of ram, apps no longer get killed due to low ram. It has the best keyboard on the market, and once you've used it, there's no going back. It takes a micro sim and you can use it on any GSM network outside the US, with a few exceptions though. Unfortunately its battery is not removeable, however it does come with a sdcard slot and has 8gb internal storage. Used ones are dirt cheap on eBay.
    You can choose the Droid 3 if removeable battery is a must for you, everything is the same as the Droid 4 except no ffc and a slower clocked cpu, and no LTE if you're using it on Verizon. It takes a mini sim

Blackberry Q10
    Specifications
    You are reading it right, yes, Blackberry. First of all, it has the fastest hardware among all the phones here, its OS is pretty much stock android with an overlay, and you can install just about any android app directly onto it (play store doesnt't work, so only sideload), so essentially it can be classifed as an android phone. It has a really good keyboard which is expected of a Blackberry, removeable battery and sdcard slot. If you want LTE you can just get the variant which works with your carrier's frequency.

Phone which I have not used myself

T-Mobile LG Optimus F3Q
    Specifications
    I can't comment much on this phone as I have not used it myself, it is currently only available through T-Mobile. It has the largest battery among all the phones here. As at the time of this post, it does not have a forum on xda, however, someone has managed to root this phone already (with a few hicups), you can read more about it here

I hope you guys will find this guide useful, it shall serve as my contribution to this forum as being on it for so long.

The Photon Q does not have a sim card slot, you'll have to perform a hardware mod and it is quite tedious, however it is dirt cheap. A brand new in box one can be had for less than 90 usd. Personally I would suggest the droid 4 (or droid 3 if you want removable battery), a used one can be had for around 60 usd.