[Q] SD card issues with new kitkat builds

Search This thread

sriniandroid

Feb 28, 2011
Hi,

I have been using both stock, CM builds and other after market roms from my xperia x10 mini pro days. Now, I own an xperia mini pro and xperia z. I have installed various kitkat aftermarket roms on my xperia z. I installed the latest cm11, From here I could not change any contents on my SD card. Within the phone I cannot copy to or delete from the sd card. I tried all file managers including the ones with root permissions. I removed the sd card and tried direct copying. The fun is copying will be succesful. But once I unmount and remount the card, the contets wouldnt have changed. I try to format the card. It will get formatted but once I unmount and remount all the previous contents are intact. I the flashed back 4.3. There again the issue persisted.

I had the same issue with my xperia mini pro and cm11. Since then this is my second sd card(32 gb on mini pro and 64 gb on xperia z). I know there are certain issues with kitkat and sd cards. Can anybody please throw some light on resolving this issue. I am a rom hopper and I dont like to be cornered with these issues.

But strangely, I never had any issues with pabx's build.

St.Jimmy90

Jul 31, 2013
Frankfurt
Hi,

I have been using both stock, CM builds and other after market roms from my xperia x10 mini pro days. Now, I own an xperia mini pro and xperia z. I have installed various kitkat aftermarket roms on my xperia z. I installed the latest cm11, From here I could not change any contents on my SD card. Within the phone I cannot copy to or delete from the sd card. I tried all file managers including the ones with root permissions. I removed the sd card and tried direct copying. The fun is copying will be succesful. But once I unmount and remount the card, the contets wouldnt have changed. I try to format the card. It will get formatted but once I unmount and remount all the previous contents are intact. I the flashed back 4.3. There again the issue persisted.

I had the same issue with my xperia mini pro and cm11. Since then this is my second sd card(32 gb on mini pro and 64 gb on xperia z). I know there are certain issues with kitkat and sd cards. Can anybody please throw some light on resolving this issue. I am a rom hopper and I dont like to be cornered with these issues.

But strangely, I never had any issues with pabx's build.

You should ask in that specific thread of the rom you're using instead of here.

sriniandroid

Feb 28, 2011
I think this is a generic issue

I think this is a generic issue. It eminates from the point that the majority of the after market roms are using bits from the CM project, Thanx for the reply. What I want to know here is does kitkat do anything to the sd card which cannot be washed away after even attempting a format?

Last edited:

St.Jimmy90

Jul 31, 2013
Frankfurt
I think this is a generic issue. It eminates from the point that the majority of the after market roms are using bits from the CM project, Thanx for the reply. What I want to know here is does kitkat do anything to the sd card which cannot be washed away after even attempting a format?

Did you try to format the sd card with your pc? Does the pc even recognize it correctly?

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
If you have problems while on a stock rom, then I suggest that you backup your data, then format the SD card with the SD Association tool - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
If possible, you should do this via a card reader/slot and not while it's in the phone.

If you still have problems, then your card may be faulty.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sriniandroid

Feb 28, 2011
Yes, the format was tried on pc

The format operation was tried both on windows and Arch Gnu/Linux. I can add or delete a file. But after remount, the changes are gone. It is like I am having a write once DVD.

ellwol

Sep 3, 2014
sorry for resurrecting this thread but has anyone found a way to fix the issue?

Just like the others, I encountered the problem after I downgraded from Kitkat to Jellybean. I have tried formatting my 64Gb Transcend micro SD card using various softwares. Some fail to format midway. Some indicate that it has been successfully formatted but upon checking, the contents are not removed.

Cenobite_

Jan 16, 2007
Due to a policy change in Kitkat it is, for most apps, not allowed to change the content on the SD card. To fix this, root the device and install de SDFix from the play store.