S5 screen TOO sensitive?!?!

Search This thread

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
Right I have now had this issue several times and it has become a big problem. I put the phone in my pocket, get a call/message/text/ which turns the screen on, and somehow the touch screen buttons keep getting pressed. So far I have lost all my paid for credits in a game when I paused it and put it in my pocket to get off a train, had it start skipping tracks when listening to music when a message arrived and it started pressing the lockscreen music buttons while in my pocket....twice.

I never EVER had anything like this with the S3 that it replaced. Somehow the screen is obviously being pressed by my leg THROUGH my trousers and activating the buttons on the touchscreen whenever the screen is on. Obviously this may have serious consequences if it starts calling contacts or even emergency numbers while in my pocket.

I am looking for a way to reduce the sensitivity so it doesnt do this but so far all I can find in the settings is a single tickbox to INCREASE the sensitivity so you can use it with gloves on (which suggests to me it must also be possible to reduce it).

Last edited:

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
Right I have now had this issue several times and it has become a big problem. I put the phone in my pocket, get a call/message/text/ which turns the screen on, and somehow the touch screen buttons keep getting pressed. So far I have lost all my paid for credits in a game when I paused it and put it in my pocket to get off a train, had it start skipping tracks when listening to music when a message arrived and it started pressing the lockscreen music buttons while in my pocket....twice.

I never EVER had anything like this with the S3 that it replaced. Somehow the screen is obviously being pressed by my leg THROUGH my trousers and activating the buttons on the touchscreen whenever the screen is on. Obviously this may have serious consequences if it starts calling contacts or even emergency numbers while in my pocket.

I am looking for a way to reduce the sensitivity so it doesnt do this but so far all I can find in the settings is a single tickbox to INCREASE the sensitivity so you can use it with gloves on (which suggests to me it must also be possible to reduce it).

You may have a faulty handset as I don't have these problems on mine.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
I doubt it. Friend has one as well, does exactly the same, rub phone on chest to clean it and it is pressing buttons/icons etc on the touchscreen if the screen is on.

isroisro

Feb 22, 2011
Did you turn out that thing in settings that makes the screen more sensitive so that you can use it with gloves on?

Reactions: dork997

d0ce

May 15, 2013
I've owned the S2, S3, S4 and never had this problem. Now I have a G900F. The S5 screen is ridiculously sensitive and I have the exact same problem as the OP.

kthz

Jan 27, 2009
Try to add a pattern lock screen, it should prevent the phone from launching anything even if the screen wakes up.

Reactions: alga76

Captainblade

Aug 15, 2011
yorkshire
Yeah I've been having the same problems I switched the touch sensitivity toggle off and it's been ok

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
Try to add a pattern lock screen, it should prevent the phone from launching anything even if the screen wakes up.

It' on pattern lock. That doesnt stop notifications coming up for anyone that has it set up like that, and it doesnt stop it pressing the emergency calls button!

Air View is off, Increase Touch Sensitivity is off (as already mentioned). Infact I tried the Increase Touch Sensitivity option to see what effect it has and I can't see any difference to it with it turned on, it is just as sensitive, I can literally put my finger inside my shirt and move the screen around and I can do this just as well with the touch sensitivity on or off. Perhaps there is a bug which is causing the increased touch sensitivity to be on ALL the time even when the box is not ticked. Seems to be a problem many are having anyway.

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
It' on pattern lock. That doesnt stop notifications coming up for anyone that has it set up like that, and it doesnt stop it pressing the emergency calls button!

Air View is off, Increase Touch Sensitivity is off (as already mentioned). Infact I tried the Increase Touch Sensitivity option to see what effect it has and I can't see any difference to it with it turned on, it is just as sensitive, I can literally put my finger inside my shirt and move the screen around and I can do this just as well with the touch sensitivity on or off. Perhaps there is a bug which is causing the increased touch sensitivity to be on ALL the time even when the box is not ticked. Seems to be a problem many are having anyway.

Not had any problems whilst in my pocket, but I tried using the screen through my T-SHIRT and it does the same thing for me with touch sensitivity off or on. Just tried with gloves though and it doesn't work unless you switch touch sensitivity on, so it does make some kind of difference to the screen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kthz

Jan 27, 2009
In that case ewokuk, 2 solutions, since your phone is brand new, maybe you should take it back to your store and get another unit.
Or wait for maybe a fix with next firmware update.. which may happen anytime. For helping you, you could get a protection / front cover for your phone

CountBlackadder

May 19, 2014
I registered just to post here. This has been driving me absolutely nuts. Every time I have a call when in the car and the phone is in my pocket (talking through bluetooth), if my leg so much as twitches I end up muting myself or hanging up. I went from an S3 to the S5. If I get a text while walking and I have music playing or something, any and every button available will be pressed. I have had random gibberish created on my calendar while walking (screen lock hadn't activated yet because I had just put it in my pocket).

ewokuk, any word on what you did? I have played around with as many settings as I can but nothing seems to do the trick. It's a nice phone, but unfortunately this one thing drives me up a wall

Reactions: Liakos193

deathst

Dec 24, 2009
Singapore
The screens can still be used through simple fabrics .. it can be done so since the S2. If the screen is in the pocket facing down (against your thigh) it still can be triggered. I can only suggest to put the screen facing outwards or well not against your skin or body

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

CountBlackadder

May 19, 2014
The screens can still be used through simple fabrics .. it can be done so since the S2. If the screen is in the pocket facing down (against your thigh) it still can be triggered. I can only suggest to put the screen facing outwards or well not against your skin or body

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

The difference in sensitivity between the S3 and S5 is pretty astounding though. Yes, I could use the S3 through a shirt if needed, but I never had it hang up phone calls constantly and go through all my apps randomly.

I think the proximity sensor is just not the greatest as it doesn't detect that it's in a pocket. Again, no real idea, but that is my guess.

Rippley05

May 11, 2010
Same problems here. Phone pocket dials people, replies to texts. Pattern lock helped..but I prefer not using it. Maybe it's because the phone wakes with text messages received. Annoying as heck

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

antihippy

Feb 19, 2007
Same problems here. Phone pocket dials people, replies to texts. Pattern lock helped..but I prefer not using it. Maybe it's because the phone wakes with text messages received. Annoying as heck

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I'm glad I'm not the only one because I really did think it was just me. All of the issues listed in this thread happen to me all the time. Tracks skip, the phone hangs up.. I even find my typing is less accurate unless I really slow myself down (it seems prone to picking up extra key presses although this might just be mel. I did not have these issues with my s3.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Forum wouldn't let me edit my previous message so here goes:

No its just me. See here http://phandroid.com/2014/04/19/8-things-i-hate-about-the-samsung-galaxy-s5/:

Liakos193

Oct 6, 2014
Hey all, i am facing the same problem with the sensitivity of my screen!

i am ahvind the same issue with the sensitivity of the screen!!!something wrong is happening for sure cause i tested another Samsung S5 and it didnt have any problem!Its has warranty so i dont care!do the same!

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

i am having the same issue about the sensitivity of the screen!!!something wrong is happening for sure cause i tested another Samsung S5 and it didnt have any problem!Its has warranty so i dont care!do the same!

Heltum

Oct 17, 2014
s series sensitivity

I have had that problem with the s3 s4 and now s5 i just put my phone in my pocket with the screen facing out that way my leg cant activate it and my pants doesnt press the unlock button when i move.

finndo

Sep 1, 2009
Ditto, never so bad as this phone, I put it in my pocket now screen out, and put my wallet over the screen so I don't accidentally crack it.

Often in games when I am "hovering" over the screen it will trigger the action anyway. I've tested this to nearly 1 full cm away from the screen. If I hover on the same spot for 2+ seconds at ~1cm it initiates a touch at that point.

I also did not notice a difference switching increased sensitivity on or off.

Rarely, but sometimes during calls the screen turns on briefly when I pull the phone away as it starts making my face sweat, it will the "hover" hang up or mute, or launch some app (often one that has force screen on permissions) and send people gibberish email or text messages, set alarms or calendar events. I even had it start a conference call, adding an old boss to my conversation (I keep the number handy for references) once.

I have used the finger print lock since the first time I turned the phone on. Most annoying is the sensorly app, only works with the screen on even when running in the background...

I have also had to modify my typing to accommodate this sensitivity, I have to tap slightly above and right of the keys to make sure I hit the right ones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you turn out that thing in settings that makes the screen more sensitive so that you can use it with gloves on?
    I registered just to post here. This has been driving me absolutely nuts. Every time I have a call when in the car and the phone is in my pocket (talking through bluetooth), if my leg so much as twitches I end up muting myself or hanging up. I went from an S3 to the S5. If I get a text while walking and I have music playing or something, any and every button available will be pressed. I have had random gibberish created on my calendar while walking (screen lock hadn't activated yet because I had just put it in my pocket).

ewokuk, any word on what you did? I have played around with as many settings as I can but nothing seems to do the trick. It's a nice phone, but unfortunately this one thing drives me up a wall
    Hahaha really? I meant try using gloves to demonstrate something, not to actually wear gloves all the time. Fanboy? Nah, I went for the best deal, I quite fancy the xperia z3, I have no brand preference except no apple, and even that would change if they did. My suggestion is a secure lockscreen, or some sort of touch blocking app when touch is not desirable. I can think of no other solution, really the problem is non secure lockscreen being too easily activated, had this problem with my old htc and my lg. Music annoys me too, sometimes skipping tracks but its rare. The only full fix would be a kernel with a sensitivity module of some sort

The lock screen is only one of the annoyances. If my fingers get too close while reading or stay a little too far while swiping the screen unexpected things happen: menus pop up, screens close, extra words appear while typing...

It stands to reason, if there is a "switch" to make the screen MORE sensitive then you should also be able to decrease the sensitivity. Since I am rooted I will search through the system files. Hopefully it is a value that can be changed, a range from 1 - 10 or 0 - 255 as opposed to just zero or one.

I suppose what irks me more than anything is that I LOVED my S3 and I assumed I would love the S5 more, but not true. I am sorry I didn't wait for a phone that I could root AND Rom. The specs were/are great though
    Solution and Observation please consider this

Same I am facing and heard bad words from parents n frnds cz of rejecting calls multiple times.
    I guess final solution is
    1.get Flipcover which I'd hate to get one or
    2. wil not keep my screen face towards thighs while in pocket (but it may hurt screen if anything hit it accidently )
    3. Request to samsung for update if we all do it. then they'll definitely provide solution

observations : those who saying put screenlock its fine but if u get a call , call pick or reject just pops up whether screen locked or not.

and when u put ur fon in pocket in jiffy it waits for 15 sec atleast to screen lock so in this 15 sec my thighs touch can open up any app in between n start troubling inside.

screenguard doesn't help either i have tried tampered glass as well.