Difference in Chromecast versions across countries?

Search This thread

Elador

Jun 17, 2010
There seem to be different versions of Chromecast, depending on the country, e.g.
Amazon.co.uk: GA3A00030A23
Amazon.de: GA3A00032A07

Does it make any difference which version I am going to buy?

Obviously, depending on in which country I will plug the Chromecast in, the available services will be different (e.g. outside of the UK, there will be no iPlayer, etc.).
But my question is about the different models, if that makes any difference, e.g. regarding language, rooting-ability, access to services, etc, whatever differences there could be!

fkrone

May 25, 2011
Stuttgart
There seem to be different versions of Chromecast, depending on the country, e.g.

Obviously, depending on in which country I will plug the Chromecast in, the available services will be different (e.g. outside of the UK, there will be no iPlayer, etc.).
But my question is about the different models, if that makes any difference, e.g. regarding language, rooting-ability, access to services, etc, whatever differences there could be!

As far as I know only the power adapter makes the difference. The Chromecast determines his location based on IP. And all european models can't be rooted at the moment. Furthermore all current US models can't be rooted either (only if you get an old model with a rootable bootloader).

Reactions: Elador

Elador

Jun 17, 2010
As far as I know only the power adapter makes the difference. The Chromecast determines his location based on IP. And all european models can't be rooted at the moment. Furthermore all current US models can't be rooted either (only if you get an old model with a rootable bootloader).

Thank you. So, I shouldn't hesitate buying the German model? (I could get it cheaper)
It is for use outside of Germany, and I don't want any of the German stuff on it, they have very restrictive copyright/GEMA rules and I don't want the German UI. So I don't want to potentially cripple my Chromecast.

fkrone

May 25, 2011
Stuttgart
Thank you. So, I shouldn't hesitate buying the German model? (I could get it cheaper)
It is for use outside of Germany, and I don't want any of the German stuff on it, they have very restrictive copyright/GEMA rules and I don't want the German UI. So I don't want to potentially cripple my Chromecast.

You won't have any of the German crap (and I say this as a German ...) on it. YouTube restrictions and other restrictions are based on IP location. So if you use it outsite of Germany you won't have any of the restrictions.
The UI language is also based on current location of the Chromecast.

Reactions: Elador

Elador

Jun 17, 2010
You won't have any of the German crap (and I say this as a German ...) on it. YouTube restrictions and other restrictions are based on IP location. So if you use it outsite of Germany you won't have any of the restrictions.

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I wanted to know. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

h ttps://ch rom eshop.w uaki .tv/uk/che ckout/inde x.ht ml

may save you some money