[Q] Moto G vs Galaxy S3

Search This thread

borealis17

Aug 9, 2010
Akron-Canton
I have an order placed for the Moto G, but now have the opportunity to get a brand new Galaxy S3 for $200 off-contract. Specs wise the phones are very similar; with the S3 having a bigger (AMOLED) screen, SD support, and a plethora of accessories & ROMs. This along with a removable battery & better camera have me leaning towards the S3.

Do any Moto G owners currently have an S3? If so could I get an opinion on whether its worth cancelling my order & purchasing the older phone.

shure2

Jun 24, 2008
Get both and then sell the one you don't want. Specs wise the S3 wins but the moto G seems to ignore that factor.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ManBearrrPig

Jan 7, 2012
i would say s3 has better camera but that is about it.
moto g is snappy and has great batterylife and screen. also moto g will get 4.4 in january so my guess is that it will also get the next version of android.

Reactions: taadow1030

Allewar

May 3, 2013
I had an s3 for about one year and sold it as soon I got the Moto g.
The s3 is a nice phone but the battery use to drain fast sometimes and have a lot of software issues. Also, even with cyanogenmod it freezes sometimes. The screen is bigger but not that much and in comparison with the moto g it looses in brightness.

GPS and Google now consumes a LOT of battery on the s3 while in moto g they barelly appear in the battery graphics consumption. Also, the moto g have a better design and feels great in hand, while the s3 is kinda ungly and you will need to use it with both hand in lots of situations.

I'm in love with my moto g and selling my s3 to buy it was one of the best choices I made. It runs android flawless!!!

Deadlock_78

Nov 22, 2013
I have both phones, both on stock ROM. The S3 is getting more and more laggy.

Pro S3: Slimmer, less weight, slightly bigger screen, better camera
Pro MG: Blazing fast, feels more sturdy, Kitkat in '14, no balderdash, great battery life

If it wasn't for NFC & removable SD support I'd ditch my S3 right away.

deadpunk

Dec 5, 2011
Port-Louis
Get the Moto G. Pure Android is great... Just got mine yesterday and i'm loving it.. Feel much better in my hands than my nexus4.

This is the phone i was waiting since Android came out ;)

xtremeed271

Jun 27, 2013
I've had an S3 and currently have a Moto G. I'd definitely say the Moto G, it's faster/smoother, better screen, better battery life etc. IMO of course

whatsitsnamenow

Aug 10, 2010
California
Get the Galaxy s3. More capable and better resale value.
Assuming the Galaxy s3 is legit and won't get blacklisted.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

melcali

Aug 2, 2010
Get the Moto G. Pure Android is great... Just got mine yesterday and i'm loving it.. Feel much better in my hands than my nexus4.

This is the phone i was waiting since Android came out ;)

That and the glass back are the two things i hated about the n4. It felt like it just did not belong in my hand.

kenvin100

Jun 20, 2012
Talk about coincidence OP..in the same situation

I'll make the story short and brief..I purchased a S3 for 240 CDN and havent picked it up yet

However I can still get the Moto G for 65 CDN should I want to..its apart of a carrier deal + gift card redemption

The only true differences (to me anyway) is camera and memory
1) Never cared for a phone on a camera
2) There are smaller external options to increase memory

Another problem is build...and by touching the dummy products, the Moto G feels alot stronger...Samsung cellphones r amazing but I cant stand the overall build..I've seen too many broken S3 screens

Any comments would be most appreciated..I'm upgrading from an iPhone 3G btw...

Last edited:

shaboobla

I know quadrant isn't exactly perfect, but I was pretty surprised. Mysisters stock moto g vs my custom ROM Canadian s3.

Also included one of her battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386131247460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386131247460.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,131
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386131257637.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386131257637.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386131309000.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386131309000.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,593

Lex008

Nov 19, 2008
I did camera comparison in low light without flash, left MotoG, middle RAZRi, right Galaxy S3:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/motorol...n-zur-kamera-bildqualitaet-2.html#post6758301
These are png's so they are 1:1 quality, no forum crop or reduced quality.

Hi, unfortunately I can't see the difference from these pictures.

I have the choice between buying a used S3 or a new Moto G for the same price, and the camera quality is important for me. I would like to get at least the quality that I had with my (broken) Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Is the difference really that noticeable ? thx

Lex008

Nov 19, 2008
OK thanks for the advice.

There is one thing that I see : when there is no stabilizer, the image is more blurry, indeed !

Last edited:

sahil_arora05

Nov 26, 2013
Gurgaon
galaxysamsungs6.com
Hey Guys can anyone tell me should I go for the Moto g or galaxy s3 or Galaxy S4 Mini? I can buy a brand new moto G and with that price I can get a used s3 and s4 mini here in India. Anyone can help me? I am totally confused. :confused::confused::confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just to let you guys know, I just woke up and pushed my Moto G to the floor (hard floor) today. It's the third time I let this phone fall and it does not broke. Not a single scratch

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk
    I know quadrant isn't exactly perfect, but I was pretty surprised. Mysisters stock moto g vs my custom ROM Canadian s3.

Also included one of her battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
    i would say s3 has better camera but that is about it.
    moto g is snappy and has great batterylife and screen. also moto g will get 4.4 in january so my guess is that it will also get the next version of android.
    I had an s3 for about one year and sold it as soon I got the Moto g.
    The s3 is a nice phone but the battery use to drain fast sometimes and have a lot of software issues. Also, even with cyanogenmod it freezes sometimes. The screen is bigger but not that much and in comparison with the moto g it looses in brightness.

GPS and Google now consumes a LOT of battery on the s3 while in moto g they barelly appear in the battery graphics consumption. Also, the moto g have a better design and feels great in hand, while the s3 is kinda ungly and you will need to use it with both hand in lots of situations.

I'm in love with my moto g and selling my s3 to buy it was one of the best choices I made. It runs android flawless!!!
    I did camera comparison in low light without flash, left MotoG, middle RAZRi, right Galaxy S3:

http://www.android-hilfe.de/motorol...n-zur-kamera-bildqualitaet-2.html#post6758301
    These are png's so they are 1:1 quality, no forum crop or reduced quality.