[Q] SD Card problem

Search This thread

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
For a really long time now, I've been having a problem with apps using the SD card.
The gallery can access the SD and the Camera saves photos and videos just fine. Also, the phone never notifies me of any errors, but for some reason Snapchat, Instagram, and an editing app I use, seem to think my SD card isn't there at all.

Snapchat: "Connect an SD card to view video snaps!" (I can't watch ANY Snapchat videos)
"Saving failed :(" (Also won't save any videos or picture I take"
Instagram: "Before recording video, check your SD card..." (I cant record videos, which means I also cant upload them)
Instasize: "Error exporting image" (Pretty self-explanatory)

Instasize and Instagram are full capable of browsing and uploading image, though.
Also an app I use called Aviary is full capable of uploading, editing, and exporting all my pictures with no problem, so idk if this problem is app specific.

Anyway, I've formatted the SD card and that didnt work. I also find it dumb that the apps dont have an option to save the phone internal storage.

Any suggestions for a fix? Resetting the phone is my very last solution; I dont wanna reinstall all my apps and re-sync all of my accounts.

S3, SPH-L710
4.3 - Jellybean
Fully rooted
Sandisk 16gb SD card
Cant remember what recovery image I have installed

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
What format are you using for the SD card and what kernel? Do you have another SD card to temporarily try?

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Sorry for the late reply, been really busy.

Anyway, Kernel is stock.
Just reformatted it as FAT32, copied all my stuff back to it. Same results.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Anyway, Kernel is stock.

Flash either Cnexus' permissive version of the stock kernel, or use Ktoonsez and the problem should go away. It sounds like the feature of 4.4.2 that makes things more secure, but until apps are rewritten to handle the SD card differently, you'll have that problem with an enforcing kernel.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII on TouchWiz 4.4.2 with Wicked X v6.5, Ktoonsez' latest kernel and the latest Philz Touch Recovery.

Reactions: sawyerbenjamin

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
Flash either Cnexus' permissive version of the stock kernel, or use Ktoonsez and the problem should go away. It sounds like the feature of 4.4.2 that makes things more secure, but until apps are rewritten to handle the SD card differently, you'll have that problem with an enforcing kernel.

Alright, I'll give that a shot. Can you give me a link? Thanks!

g_money

Mar 27, 2013
The title says its for KitKat. I'm on Jelly Bean.

Sorry, saw rode warriors post and pulled the thread for cnexus' permissive. Not aware that there is a version for jb....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

You can install xposed and wanam. In wanam you can set selinux permissive...

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member

Sorry, saw rode warriors post and pulled the thread for cnexus' permissive. Not aware that there is a version for jb....

Sorry, got 4.4.2 on the brain. I have no idea of stock JB had that same symptom or not. :(

Reactions: g_money

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
Sorry, got 4.4.2 on the brain. I have no idea of stock JB had that same symptom or not. :(

Its fine. Haha. And sorry again for the late reply.
Any other suggestions?

I'm contemplating updating to Kitkat just to fix it, but dont wanna root again. My phone already downloaded it for me.
Also if there is a way to strictly backup all of my apps (to avoid downloading them all) I guess I could factory reset.
Which would be less work?

Unless there an alternative to both.

Thanks!

-Also an update. tried downloading a file sent to me through Facebook. Says there is no SD card.

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Any other suggestions?

I'm contemplating updating to Kitkat just to fix it, but dont wanna root again. My phone already downloaded it for me.
Also if there is a way to strictly backup all of my apps (to avoid downloading them all) I guess I could factory reset.

Thanks!

-Also an update. tried downloading a file sent to me through Facebook. Says there is no SD card.
I'm not sure what you used to format the SD Card. But I would suggest SD Formatter. When you are to done to really speed up file transfer, you can use TeraCopy. To backup my Apps I use Titanium Backup. Just be careful restoring too much Data, as it has been known to cause issues. Lastly you can use Rom Toolbox to make all future apps install to the SD Card.

sawyerbenjamin

Sep 12, 2012
I'm not sure what you used to format the SD Card. But I would suggest SD Formatter. When you are to done to really speed up file transfer, you can use TeraCopy. To backup my Apps I use Titanium Backup. Just be careful restoring too much Data, as it has been known to cause issues. Lastly you can use Rom Toolbox to make all future apps install to the SD Card.

I used my laptop, Windows 8.
I guess I can try formatting it with that tool, and then use Titanium backup if that doesnt work. Idk why I never thought of that, I've used it before.
Thanks!

w8y

Oct 11, 2015
I know I'm WAYYYY behind the times on this one, the thread seems dead, but I had this issue after flashing SuperSU onto my M8. Fixed by entering the following into a terminal emulator:

su
restorecon -FR /sdcard/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2747586

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Anyway, Kernel is stock.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

You can install xposed and wanam. In wanam you can set selinux permissive...