[Q] S5 - Region Lock - How to test?

Search This thread

p4j1

Nov 10, 2012
I've got a UK S5 purchased sim free and have just made a 5 minute call in the hope the region lock will be removed, but does anyone know if there is a way to test this? I'm going abroad in a few months (Singapore) and would like to use the phone there but want to be certain this has been region unlocked beforehand.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

X

xtechx

I don't need SIM unlocking, the phone is factory unlocked, but just want to know if there is a way to check the status of the RegionLock (before going overseas and trying another sim)

make 10-15 minutes more of calls just to be on the safe side? lol. but all kidding aside I have no idea how to check, and very quick/brief google search didn't turn up results (again very very quick search I may have overlooked it lol)..

babygau

Jun 22, 2011
Melbourne
I think you don't have to be worry about region lock. As far as i know, Singapore has the same mobile network (GSM) with Australia, theoretically you could use any sim to make phone calls in Singapore

jopat

May 25, 2014
I've got a UK S5 purchased sim free and have just made a 5 minute call in the hope the region lock will be removed, but does anyone know if there is a way to test this? I'm going abroad in a few months (Singapore) and would like to use the phone there but want to be certain this has been region unlocked beforehand.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
You don't need to verify this. It's already an acknowledged fact. Samsung just wanted to reduce sales in the grey market.

oTToToTenTanz

Aug 11, 2008
Not many user seem to read your question carefully or simply don't get what the problem is..

I will have the same problem as I will go to Korea in a few month. I guess we just have to believe what Samsung said about the 5 min. call. Even trying the phone with a foreign sim card (foreign friends etc) is not sure since it will connect to the same region operators. But maybe it's worth a try!

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

ronylicha

Apr 30, 2007
Paris
Not many user seem to read your question carefully or simply don't get what the problem is..

I will have the same problem as I will go to Korea in a few month. I guess we just have to believe what Samsung said about the 5 min. call. Even trying the phone with a foreign sim card (foreign friends etc) is not sure since it will connect to the same region operators. But maybe it's worth a try!

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
5 m8n is not enough, use it for 1 or 2 hours with not less of 15 min of call but 3-4 calls not only one and everything will be ok ( tested on my s5 and on s4 mini) i have multiple sim of france and othrr country outside of UE so i had experience of that probleme

lambada24

Jun 3, 2010
Has anyone found a way to check if the phone is region locked? Would receiving 5 mins worth of calls on a regional SIM card be enough or does one have to make the calls?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
There are some technical approaches but why not simply insert an out of region SIM card and try making a call? Does it work - or do you get an error? If you didn't plan ahead and don't have an out of region SIM on hand, a large, local mobile shop can probably furnish one for you to test.

Even if you had to purchase a prepaid SIM by mail order.. wouldn't that be worth it to know the answer? Otherwise you could be scrambling to fix it abroad under more difficult circumstances.

----> If you are rooted, you can do an authorative check by looking at your phone's blacklist file as described here

Last edited:

lambada24

Jun 3, 2010
Some websites say that apart from making 5 mins worth of calls its also necessary to insert a regional SIM card before turning on the phone for the first time. Is this true?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Some websites say that apart from making 5 mins worth of calls its also necessary to insert a regional SIM card before turning on the phone for the first time. Is this true?

No way to know unless someone does rigorous testing. Samsung probably prefers the particulars to remain murky to make it harder for end users to buy lower priced phones from other countries.

lambada24

Jun 3, 2010
How can I go about resetting my phone to as close to its factory state as possible? I want to go through the initial configuration process with the SIM card inserted as I had configured it without a SIM card.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
How can I go about resetting my phone to as close to its factory state as possible? I want to go through the initial configuration process with the SIM card inserted as I had configured it without a SIM card.

A bit off topic in this thread. So you should start a new thread if you have any follow up questions..
But to answer, Settings > General > Backup and reset > Factory data reset > Reset

That should do what you want.
Be warned that this will delete all of your user data, files and apps. So do a backup first.

And optionally follow that by using Odin or Kies to flash a full OEM stock firmware image on the device.
The latter step isn't really necessary 99% of the time and does very little that the first step hasn't already done. But you did say.. as close as... possible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
did I mention that if it was my device being sold, etc, that I would also trash my encryption keys, do several dd passes over the flash memory, soft brick, repartition, then wipe again with forensic software while pondering whether I had any reasons to simply grind the handset into fine powder.. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: lambada24

lambada24

Jun 3, 2010
Did both steps. At least if the phone decides not to work with a local sim card when I'm out of Europe I'll have a clean conscience :)
Thanks a million.

Reactions: fffft

Gowtham34

Feb 6, 2011
Did both steps. At least if the phone decides not to work with a local sim card when I'm out of Europe I'll have a clean conscience :)
Thanks a million.

hi Mate, was your phone region unlocked after 5 mins of call? M planning to buy one but its from other region. Also, will it get region locked again after any update?

lambada24

Jun 3, 2010
Yes it worked fine for me with another regions sim card. I haven't been abroad again since I updated it so I don't know if it's still region unlocked.

Pepebot

Jun 7, 2017
I just got an s8 in switzerland, but the sim card lasted no time, as no credit. I have made several calls of about 2.50 minutes each to 0800 numbers (toll free) will this work?
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are some technical approaches but why not simply insert an out of region SIM card and try making a call? Does it work - or do you get an error? If you didn't plan ahead and don't have an out of region SIM on hand, a large, local mobile shop can probably furnish one for you to test.

Even if you had to purchase a prepaid SIM by mail order.. wouldn't that be worth it to know the answer? Otherwise you could be scrambling to fix it abroad under more difficult circumstances.

----> If you are rooted, you can do an authorative check by looking at your phone's blacklist file as described here

A bit off topic in this thread. So you should start a new thread if you have any follow up questions..
    But to answer, Settings > General > Backup and reset > Factory data reset > Reset

That should do what you want.
    Be warned that this will delete all of your user data, files and apps. So do a backup first.

And optionally follow that by using Odin or Kies to flash a full OEM stock firmware image on the device.
    The latter step isn't really necessary 99% of the time and does very little that the first step hasn't already done. But you did say.. as close as... possible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    did I mention that if it was my device being sold, etc, that I would also trash my encryption keys, do several dd passes over the flash memory, soft brick, repartition, then wipe again with forensic software while pondering whether I had any reasons to simply grind the handset into fine powder.. ?
    Thanks a million.