[ROOT] Root for One VX

Search This thread

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
This method is pretty simple. Flash recovery, flash superuser.zip.

Step 1.
Ensure you are HTC Unlocked

Step 2.
Download superuser zip
Download Recovery Image

Step 3.
Open command prompt where you put the recovery image

Step 4.
Reboot your device to fastboot

Step 5.
Run the command "fastboot flash recovery twrprecovery.img" without quotes

Step 6.
On your phone choose the hboot option then the recovery option

Step 7.
Now in recovery choose the mount option and select mount sdcard

Step 8.
Copy superuser.zip to your sdcard

Step 9.
Unmount sd card and hit the back button

Step 10.
Choose install and select the superuser.zip and slide the bar to flash it

Step 11.
Reboot and profit.

Last edited:

ilostchild

Dec 7, 2009
Get a feeling some one gonna ask how to root with this method. Ha, thanks for the updated method for root fast simple and clean..
Question though if the flash twrp recovery could. Any flash straight to a rom with root already? Or need to root first then flash rom

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Get a feeling some one gonna ask how to root with this method. Ha, thanks for the updated method for root fast simple and clean..
Question though if the flash twrp recovery could. Any flash straight to a rom with root already? Or need to root first then flash rom

You could flash recovery then flash one of my roms yes. That would work

Sent from my HTC One VX using xda premium

Jnewell05

May 22, 2009
Texas
Samsung Galaxy S21
Google Pixel 6
HTC Unlocked = Bootloader is unlocked?
Not to take away from the OP, but i created a guide for a guy here at work and thought others might benefit from it.

Unlock Bootloader and Root

Unlocking your bootloader will wipe all data from your phone. Meaning you will loose everything make a backup.

Step 1: ADB Installation Instructions. NOTE:You must have ADB installed on your PC even if you use method 2b to unlock the bootloader. You will need adb to install recovery in Step 4.
1. Go to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and download the sdk.
2. Follow installation instructions found here. Note: This is not a forum for this device DO NOT do anything but the adb installation on your system.
Step 2a: Download software from HTC to allow your bootloader to be unlocked.
1. Go to http://www.htcdev.com/
2. Login to the website. NOTE: Register for an account if you haven’t already. You must provide a valid email address.
3. Select “All Other Supported Models” from the drop down list and click “Begin Unlock Bootloader”
4. Follow online instructions.
5. A Youtube video I came across the shows the steps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0MttMw6mgQ
Step 2b: Alternate method to unlock bootloader *UNTESTED* by me.
1. [TOOL] HTC Easy Unlock Bootloader Tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133336
Step 3: Download Files to root device. NOTE: Only after unlocking bootloader.
1. SuperUser http://androidfiles.org/getdownload.php?file=TotemC2/root/superuser.zip - Copy this file you phone. Special thanks to jmztaylor his link.
2. Recovery TWRP Recovery http://androidfiles.org/getdownload.php?file=TotemC2/Recoveries/twrprecovery.img or CWM Recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2161706. Put this file in the platform-tools folder (where you installed the SDK in step one). NOTE: You must type the name of this file perfectly when using adb to flash it in step 4.
Step 4: Using ADB to install recovery
1. Open command prompt ( shift + right click, then choose “Open command window here”) and type “ADB devices” you should see you phone listed, if you do not start over at Step 1. NOTE: Phone must be plugged in and USB Debugging must be checked in settings.
1.5. Reboot into fastboot
2. Type “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” without the quotes. NOTE: the red is actually the title of the recovery file that you copied in step 3. If it’s different substitute your files name instead.
3. Once complete On your phone choose the hboot option then the recovery option
4. You should at this point backup your device
5. Once you create a backup, Choose install and navigate to the SuperUser file you put on your phone in Step 3.
6. If all goes well you are now rooted. Select reboot system to restart phone.
There is some very good information here but its spread out pretty thin. Guides IMHO are very usefull to fill the gap between devs/powerusers and the newbs.Most people that come here have a hard time with the things we take for granted such as adb commands, or adb its self (most will be setting it up for the first time). I tried my best to put it in a knowledge base that everyone can understand if for some reason you do not understand what i was trying to say please ask. I don't own this phone, just helped a friend root his, but if you need to get ahold of me pm me. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Sharings

May 1, 2012

Step 1.

Step 2.
Download superuser zip
Download Recovery Image

Step 3.

Step 4.

Step 5.

Step 6.

Step 7.

Step 8.

Step 9.

Step 10.

Step 11.
Reboot and profit.

This is a proper permanent root correct?

Sent from my HTC One VX using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Code Of Conduct123

Sharings

May 1, 2012
Define "proper" and define "permanent"

I'm questioning it prior to the old HTC G1, once you ROOTED the phone and flashed a ROM you'd loose the ROOT access.
I've got it installed, it seems to be official and unrecoverable until you unROOT the device itself!
Thanks.

Mhjeff301

May 3, 2013
Does not work as instructed

Step 1.

Step 2.
Download superuser zip
Download Recovery Image

Step 3.

Step 4.

Step 5.

Step 6.

Step 7.

Step 8.

Step 9.

Step 10.

Step 11.
Reboot and profit.

Hi,
It's not working.
I'm not a noob. I've rooted my Xoom and GS4 but this method for the HTC One VX is not working.

I've downloaded the 2 files.
Extracted the .zip to the root of C:\ and put the twrprecovery.img in the root of C:\ drive also.
I have my phone set to USB Debugging, and rebooted the phone into fastboot USB mode.
Connected my device.
I launch CMD and then type cd.., cd.. until i'm at the root level of C:/.
Then I type "fastboot flash recovery twrprecovery.img" without the quotes.
And I get this:
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I've searched other threads and other forums and read that I need to have the HTCDriver.exe installed.
So I installed it, rebooted the computer, and tried it all again and the same thing.
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Anyone have any answers?

Thanks

kalel420

Jul 29, 2013
CORPUS CHRISTI
Are you opening the cmd prompt in the dir where you have your adb and fastboot files you must have the recovery.img in the same folder.

Last edited:

debianmain1

Just checking---do you have the android toolkit installed? If so, you need to put the image in the same directory as fastboot--not at the root of C drive....

I realize that I just re-worded one of the posts above, but at C drive's root won't work.....

Last edited:

lateral18

Nov 10, 2009
nyc
Hi,
It's not working.
I'm not a noob. I've rooted my Xoom and GS4 but this method for the HTC One VX is not working.

I've downloaded the 2 files.
Extracted the .zip to the root of C:\ and put the twrprecovery.img in the root of C:\ drive also.
I have my phone set to USB Debugging, and rebooted the phone into fastboot USB mode.
Connected my device.
I launch CMD and then type cd.., cd.. until i'm at the root level of C:/.
Then I type "fastboot flash recovery twrprecovery.img" without the quotes.
And I get this:

I've searched other threads and other forums and read that I need to have the HTCDriver.exe installed.
So I installed it, rebooted the computer, and tried it all again and the same thing.

Anyone have any answers?

Thanks
The files are not in the same folder ,

Herox

Nov 7, 2009
Murika
What is the reasoning for this extra SU zip? If you install twrp, then reboot into recovery, then tell twrp to reboot to system, it will ask to install SU and then BAM, SU installed, no issues. You just download it.

Edit: This version of TWRP is very old and crashed my phone a lot. Might want to update the link to a newer image 2.6 twrp.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Step 1.

Step 2.
    Download superuser zip
    Download Recovery Image

Step 3.

Step 4.

Step 5.

Step 6.

Step 7.

Step 8.

Step 9.

Step 10.

Step 11.
    Reboot and profit.

You could flash recovery then flash one of my roms yes. That would work

Not to take away from the OP, but i created a guide for a guy here at work and thought others might benefit from it.

Unlock Bootloader and Root

Unlocking your bootloader will wipe all data from your phone. Meaning you will loose everything make a backup.

Step 1: ADB Installation Instructions. NOTE:You must have ADB installed on your PC even if you use method 2b to unlock the bootloader. You will need adb to install recovery in Step 4.
    1. Go to http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and download the sdk.
    2. Follow installation instructions found here. Note: This is not a forum for this device DO NOT do anything but the adb installation on your system.
    Step 2a: Download software from HTC to allow your bootloader to be unlocked.
    1. Go to http://www.htcdev.com/
    2. Login to the website. NOTE: Register for an account if you haven’t already. You must provide a valid email address.
    3. Select “All Other Supported Models” from the drop down list and click “Begin Unlock Bootloader”
    4. Follow online instructions.
    5. A Youtube video I came across the shows the steps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0MttMw6mgQ
    Step 2b: Alternate method to unlock bootloader *UNTESTED* by me.
    1. [TOOL] HTC Easy Unlock Bootloader Tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2133336
    Step 3: Download Files to root device. NOTE: Only after unlocking bootloader.
    1. SuperUser http://androidfiles.org/getdownload.php?file=TotemC2/root/superuser.zip - Copy this file you phone. Special thanks to jmztaylor his link.
    2. Recovery TWRP Recovery http://androidfiles.org/getdownload.php?file=TotemC2/Recoveries/twrprecovery.img or CWM Recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2161706. Put this file in the platform-tools folder (where you installed the SDK in step one). NOTE: You must type the name of this file perfectly when using adb to flash it in step 4.
    Step 4: Using ADB to install recovery
    1. Open command prompt ( shift + right click, then choose “Open command window here”) and type “ADB devices” you should see you phone listed, if you do not start over at Step 1. NOTE: Phone must be plugged in and USB Debugging must be checked in settings.
    1.5. Reboot into fastboot
    2. Type “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” without the quotes. NOTE: the red is actually the title of the recovery file that you copied in step 3. If it’s different substitute your files name instead.
    3. Once complete On your phone choose the hboot option then the recovery option
    4. You should at this point backup your device
    5. Once you create a backup, Choose install and navigate to the SuperUser file you put on your phone in Step 3.
    6. If all goes well you are now rooted. Select reboot system to restart phone.
    There is some very good information here but its spread out pretty thin. Guides IMHO are very usefull to fill the gap between devs/powerusers and the newbs.Most people that come here have a hard time with the things we take for granted such as adb commands, or adb its self (most will be setting it up for the first time). I tried my best to put it in a knowledge base that everyone can understand if for some reason you do not understand what i was trying to say please ask. I don't own this phone, just helped a friend root his, but if you need to get ahold of me pm me. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Yup