Not Charging After Full Drain. Not Turning On When Plugged In

Search This thread

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
So I'm having a problem where I drained my battery and the phone shut itself off with 1% to 2% battery life remaining. I've left it charging for a good 45 minutes now. Turned it on, and it reported 1%. Thinking that it was just a reporting error, I unplugged it, and the phone promptly shut itself off. Now another 30 minutes has passed, unplugged it, turned it on. The phone refuses to turn on! It will however show the battery charging animation, so I know it's not bricked or anything. I guess my only solution is to leave it charging while it's off overnight, even though I need to use my phone right now... That important person will have to wait :crying:

Edit: Works again... Though it does not show my battery life correctly. It says 15% when it's probably more like 2%.

Last edited:

BMelz

Aug 10, 2010
Make sure it's plugged into a wall and not your computer.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
Original LG cable is fine. It's ever since I drained the battery it's started to act weird. I plugged it in at 3% in hopes of "calibrating" the batterystats and it was charging fine. Up till now. I caught a glimpse of my phone turn itself off while charging.

Now it's randomly decided to turn itself on and bootloop... And back to charging animation while off we go. What the hell? The battery isn't charging... Switching cables didn't help btw.

Found a third cable. Temporarily working..

Last edited:

scoobydooby

Apr 8, 2011
Vancouver
Original LG cable is fine. It's ever since I drained the battery it's started to act weird. I plugged it in at 3% in hopes of "calibrating" the batterystats and it was charging fine. Up till now. I caught a glimpse of my phone turn itself off while charging.

Now it's randomly decided to turn itself on and bootloop... And back to charging animation while off we go. What the hell? The battery isn't charging... Switching cables didn't help btw.

Found a third cable. Temporarily working..

Hmmm maybe the charger? Sounds to me like its not getting proper power hence the shutting down while plugged in.. but what do I know heh

gwallee

May 23, 2011
Austin
I have the same problem. Plugged the phone in at about 3% and walked away. Came back an hour later to find it stuck in a loop of the LG logo and a black screen. I can sometimes get it into recovery, and from there see that the battery percentage will go from 0% to 15% and back to 0%. It's like the battery is bad.

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
I think it's a problem with the ROM/firmware where we can't drain it and hope to charge it up again..

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel
I'm still running v1 of the jb release and last night I used my phone until it shut down at 2%, charged it up fine, and its been ok, knock on wood. One weird thing is that if I use the phone while on the charger, and I mean light tapatalk usage, the phone will drop to 99%, even while plugged in. Weird.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk 2

chadouming

Aug 27, 2009
On the interwebz
I'm still running v1 of the jb release and last night I used my phone until it shut down at 2%, charged it up fine, and its been ok, knock on wood. One weird thing is that if I use the phone while on the charger, and I mean light tapatalk usage, the phone will drop to 99%, even while plugged in. Weird.

That's normal. When the phone is charged at 100% it stop charging to avoid the battery to be overcharged thus reducing it's durability.

Reactions: ryancnap

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
Not charging again... My phone maintained a charge between 10% and 25% or so according to the battery usage graph. So I switched cables again. I went into the service menu and got a screenshot of the charging test this time. First pic is with the LG cable. Second is with a Samsung cable. Third picture is back with LG cable after the battery successfully got charged past the "low battery zone" with the Samsung cable.

Attachments

• 2013-02-17-11-44-07.jpg
    2013-02-17-11-44-07.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 2013-02-17-11-45-54.jpg
    2013-02-17-11-45-54.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 2013-02-17-15-12-02.jpg
    2013-02-17-15-12-02.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

phoenix_rizzen

Aug 10, 2011
I have a similar problem with the stock charger. After a few weeks of working perfectly, it just sopped charging my Optimus G.

Bizarrely, it charges my wife's Galaxy S2 HD LTE without issues.

And the charger from my Sony-Ericsson Xperia pro charges the Optimus without issues.

It's almost like the stock charger burns out something internally such that it doesn't output enough voltage/amperage/current.

Sent via the magic of an Optimus G (E971) running CM 10.1.

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
So it happened again... But this time, it occurred in between 20% to 40% battery life while charging. It's probably the LG cable.. Gonna call support and ask for another.

Mangala_Dharma

May 24, 2011
Montreal
So it happened again... But this time, it occurred in between 20% to 40% battery life while charging. It's probably the LG cable.. Gonna call support and ask for another.

I have a similar situation -- I powered down my phone one time at 5 %, did not wake up until one hour of charge, then last night tried again with about 40 % of battery left, same problem. I was wondering at first if the phone did not go to power down properly, and that the battery would drain through that, but then I just did another test with my battery at 30 %, and the phone did not want to restart until plugged in for 5 minutes.. It's almost as if the booting process is just this huge battery drain, sucking all the juice to start the phone in a peak of electrical rage.. anyway -- I noticed that yesterday, I was trying to restart the phone after a while, it would start to boot but it seemed it owuld just miss a little bit of juice to complete the process, then finally when it made it to screen it was at about 10 %..

Could it be that fix we used in the stock rom to get the screen at more than 65 %, and the cpu at 1512 mhz ? It seems more software related than hardware in my case, meaning I don't beleive it is the cable

matt832

Jun 19, 2013
Flushing
Hate to revive an old thread, but as the new owner of an LGOG i just ran across this problem the other day. My phone has been able to go two day on a charge, and last week I forgot to charge it on night. Found it dead the next day. was leaving so I took it intending to charge at work or in the car. Car charger had no effect, but upper portion of phone got hot. plugged it in at home, same thing, charging icon, getting hot, but not charging. Also noted dim screen glow all the time.

tried 2o second hold on power button, vol up and down, got into the download screen and the bootloader screen, but no charge. Finally held the power button and vol. up and red charging light came on. Held it for a minute and the red charging light stayed on, let go out it went. Decided to try a couple of rubber bands around the phone to hold in the buttons, and it worked ---phone charged fully and operates as usual.

Thought I'd pass my experiance on to help anyone else with similar problem. Any idea why this worked? :confused:

Mangala_Dharma

May 24, 2011
Montreal
I don't know, but I do know that getting to android 4.3 roms like the ones in Houstonn's thread have cured my O. G. from that, and from also constant and random camera reboot, and from also maps freaking out when plugged in in the car..

Sent from Somewhere using my Dog

philliboy

Jan 3, 2014
For anybody that runs into this problem

I had this problem and tried for hours and hours to fix it. When you stick the usb charger into your phone, it literally takes like 5 hours to charge 2% when it's in this state

So it never gets to a point of wanting to turn on because the phone gets too hot trying to charge

My solution: Put a bunch of ice in a bowl, then put something over that like a bag, aluminum foil, basically anything that would be a barrier between the ice and your phone to keep it from getting wet

Now let it charge with the phone sitting on top of that ice for a few hours(make sure to add new ice as it melts) and your phone will charge up enough that it can be fully turned on. Then just let it keep charging

This worked for me after trying other things for hours. If this didn't work i was gonna open the phone and pull the battery

matt832

Jun 19, 2013
Flushing
After the last update I have not had this issue. I've run my phone dead a few times and now it always charges - no issue.

I had this problem and tried for hours and hours to fix it. When you stick the usb charger into your phone, it literally takes like 5 hours to charge 2% when it's in this state

So it never gets to a point of wanting to turn on because the phone gets too hot trying to charge

My solution: Put a bunch of ice in a bowl, then put something over that like a bag, aluminum foil, basically anything that would be a barrier between the ice and your phone to keep it from getting wet

Now let it charge with the phone sitting on top of that ice for a few hours(make sure to add new ice as it melts) and your phone will charge up enough that it can be fully turned on. Then just let it keep charging

This worked for me after trying other things for hours. If this didn't work i was gonna open the phone and pull the battery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's normal. When the phone is charged at 100% it stop charging to avoid the battery to be overcharged thus reducing it's durability.