[Q] Bluetooth streaming not display track information on car stereo

Search This thread

evenstevens

Jun 14, 2010
displaying*

I have a Kenwood car stereo with Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP capabilities, however when I use Google Play Music to stream music, nothing shows up on the display. The music plays fine, but no track info :( I've tried apps like Power Amp and Rocket but they don't seem to manage either.

My friend's iPhone manages to stream track information over as well, so I know there's nothing wrong with the stereo unit's capabilities of actually doing it.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Last edited:

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Each system will interact differently with individual bluetooth devices. Sorry I can't be of more help then that, just wanted to point out that it's mostly random what will work or not.

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
displaying*

I have a Kenwood car stereo with Bluetooth A2DP and AVRCP capabilities, however when I use Google Play Music to stream music, nothing shows up on the display. The music plays fine, but no track info :( I've tried apps like Power Amp and Rocket but they don't seem to manage either.

My friend's iPhone manages to stream track information over as well, so I know there's nothing wrong with the stereo unit's capabilities of actually doing it.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Hey hey hey. I've got a Kia Optima 2013, and I had this issue once. Granted, i'm using the stock radio with bluetooth capabilities, what worked for me is resetting the entire radio console. I don't know if you can do that, but resetting the radio might help.

flomexico

Aug 15, 2010
I experience the same thing in my 2011 F150 with Sync.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

evenstevens

Jun 14, 2010
Hey hey hey. I've got a Kia Optima 2013, and I had this issue once. Granted, i'm using the stock radio with bluetooth capabilities, what worked for me is resetting the entire radio console. I don't know if you can do that, but resetting the radio might help.

I'll try resetting but I somehow doubt that will work since I got the head unit after my Nexus 5 :(

raptir

May 4, 2010
I know in Android 4.2 and earlier track info was never displayed but I haven't had any issues since they added AVRCP 1.3 support in 4.3. I know the iPhone supports AVRCP 1.4 but that shouldn't be needed to display metadata.

Are you on the stock ROM? I know I have had bluetooth issues with my car on some custom ROMs while it works flawlessly on stock.

Edit: You could also see if there is a firmware update available for your head unit?

Last edited:

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
I'll try resetting but I somehow doubt that will work since I got the head unit after my Nexus 5 :(

It's possible; Mine didn't start doing it automatically, this first happened about 4 months after i got my car [new] and my nexus. Could just be bluetooth issues, but I think resetting it may do the trick; of course, you'll have to delete the car in you nexus and re-pair again.

TonyTurboII

Jan 17, 2008
Saint Charles, MO
Mine does the same thing on Spotify when it starts playing automatically when i get in.

If I unlock the phone and open Spotify the track info works correctly for the rest of the drive.

evenstevens

Jun 14, 2010
I know in Android 4.2 and earlier track info was never displayed but I haven't had any issues since they added AVRCP 1.3 support in 4.3. I know the iPhone supports AVRCP 1.4 but that shouldn't be needed to display metadata.

Are you on the stock ROM? I know I have had bluetooth issues with my car on some custom ROMs while it works flawlessly on stock.

Edit: You could also see if there is a firmware update available for your head unit?

I'm not rooted and have no custom ROM on my N5. It's as it is as it came out of the factory.

I have a custom ROM on my Nexus 7 (Cyanogen) and it fails to display track information, too, if that's of any information.

Checking firmware is the first thing I did. Everything was up to date out of the factory.

I'll have to try re-setting the whole thing. I just hate doing stuff like that 'cos I've set the EQ and speaker balance up just how I like it and will have to do it again! Ha. v____v

Last edited:

evenstevens

Jun 14, 2010
I installed CM11 on my Nexus 7 and paired that up.

No luck through Google Music BUT through Poweramp it displays track information perfectly... The plot thickens.

Travillion

Sep 18, 2013
Any updates?

I installed CM11 on my Nexus 7 and paired that up.

No luck through Google Music BUT through Poweramp it displays track information perfectly... The plot thickens.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would check and see if any progress has been made? I just purchased a kenwood receiver and I am not getting any track info from Play Music, Pandora, or iHeart radio. I'm baffled as it is a *somewhat* modern phone and a new receiver, I am shocked and frustrated that something simple like ID tags are not displayed.

evenstevens

Jun 14, 2010
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would check and see if any progress has been made? I just purchased a kenwood receiver and I am not getting any track info from Play Music, Pandora, or iHeart radio. I'm baffled as it is a *somewhat* modern phone and a new receiver, I am shocked and frustrated that something simple like ID tags are not displayed.

Unfortunately no. I've just come to live with it now. Even after the Lollipop update, I get absolutely no track info on all my music apps. iPhones still work fine. Super annoying!

Travillion

Sep 18, 2013
Unfortunately no. I've just come to live with it now. Even after the Lollipop update, I get absolutely no track info on all my music apps. iPhones still work fine. Super annoying!

Thank you for taking the time to respond, even though that is sad news. It seems that what phones work with which receivers is somewhat arbitrary, which boggles my mind. I've read plenty of threads elsewhere where the N5 did provide track info and it was other phones that didn't. But alas, that is not the case with our setups, apparently. I just saw that 5.1.1 OTAs were going out. Crossing my fingers for the unlikely chance that this is a fluke bug that will be fixed with the update....